Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 17,300 times

Advertisements

Long story short. I am 20 years old. My body's nervous system was hijacked by two panic attacks over a year ago. My body is basically stuck in a sympathetic state. I have been simply existing since then with brain fog, depersonalization, memory loss, rapid heart beat, unrefreshing sleep, and a vast array of other symptoms.

Now I am saving up money to go off and live in a relaxing, low cost city, situated in a beautiful surrounding. I am considering Washington, Oregon, Utah, Montana, Minnesota, New Mexico, Arizona, Maine, New Hampshire, & Vermont. Now I'm looking for specific cities or towns that would suit my needs of low cost and in a beautiful setting. I am currently doing my best to keep working and saving so I can seek to restore my health and start living again.

The ideal place would:

be beautifully situated and laid back
have a low cost of housing ($400-500 rent ideally)
access to nature
access to clean water and preferably springs
clean air
preferably but not necessarily access to a sauna (may not be needed in the southwest)

Anyone have any recommendations? All insight is appreciated and encouraged.

Last edited by benfranc; 01-23-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
$400-$500 is pretty low but I've always liked Chico, Ca.

It's surprisingly cheap for a college town and for being in Ca.

Portland Maine area is cool too

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Apartments for rent near SUNY Oswego NY
The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego
OswegoApartments.com - Rental Listing

Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Tucson

Rent is low, nature is near, there are streams and small lakes nearby, and the air is very clean.

U of A is in the center of town, there's some college town culture.

It's laid back, dress is always casual. People garden and hike a lot. Good mix of white, hispanic, and native american people and culture.

And it's really beautiful there.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Tucson

Rent is low, nature is near, there are streams and small lakes nearby, and the air is very clean.

U of A is in the center of town, there's some college town culture.

It's laid back, dress is always casual. People garden and hike a lot. Good mix of white, hispanic, and native american people and culture.

And it's really beautiful there.
I've been looking at Tucson for a few weeks now. I've never been to the desert but considering I've spent my entire life in Chicago, a drastic change of scenery may be exactly what I need.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfranc View Post
I've been looking at Tucson for a few weeks now. I've never been to the desert but considering I've spent my entire life in Chicago, a drastic change of scenery may be exactly what I need.
You'll be trading 5 months of harsh winter with 7 months of 90+ heat.
Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM

I don't think I'd mind the heat as much as the cold as my body temperature is constantly a few degrees lower than normal and my hands and feet are always freezing. Anyone else have any places for consideration?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
St. Augustine, Florida?
Small town outside of Jacksonville, really pretty coast and river, seems really laid back with tourists but nothing like south Florida.
Lafayette, Louisiana is really laid back, heart of Cajun country, pretty nice downtown and college vibe. Largest swamp in the country is in the metro (not what most people want when they ask for nature but its still beautiful), low COL, very up and coming city.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
City of Elizabeth City, NC*

Elizabeth City, NC - History, Events, Attractions - The Albemarle Region Of North Carolina: Pasquotank River and Albemarle Sound - Bed and Breakfast Inns Motels........CoastalGuide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.