Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times

Advertisements

I'm in NJ< but I would like to get out to Arizona, NM, California, and Texas for possible relocation investigations. Unfortunately it takes a lot of money to just travel by plane to each spot. I'm trying to figure out the best route, transportation, or cheap places to stay to try and hit most of these cities:

Austin, Albuquerque, Roswell, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, and L.A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Albuquerque has plenty of cheap and divey motels on E. Central Ave (old Rte. 66) unfortunately lots of crackheads and hookers too. Spring a few more bucks and you can find affordable accomodations in safer areas like in the northern reaches of the city off I-25. Check out Santa Fe while there too. You can take the train up for the day from ABQ and it's pretty affordable. New Mexico Rail Runner Express Official Site

You could probably make a day trip to Roswell from ABQ, it's about a 3 hour drive each way.

You need a car in the southwest, really no getting around it. How much time do you have to hit all these cities? That's a lot of territory to cover in one trip. Arizona, New Mexico, and Vegas in one trip is somewhat doable in an A to B to C sort of way. Add in Austin, Colorado Springs, and Los Angeles and you are really stretching yourself in all directions.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-01-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Fly into somewhere central among your cities to visit, (Albuquerque, Phoenix, or Las Vegas would be good choices), then rent a car, and plan your trip.

On your list, Austin is geographically the one that is the least contiguous to any of the others. You might consider just leaving it off entirely for another trip. One thing you do have going for you is that the speed limit on I-10 in West Texas is 80mph.

You could try this route:
Fly Into Albuquerque -> Colorado Springs -> Las Vegas -> Los Angeles -> Phoenix -> Austin (LONG) -> Roswell (LONG) -> Albuquerque (fly out)

You might be tempted to rent a car one-way -- say fly into Los Angeles and fly out of Austin. Normally, the costs of trying that are prohibitive except for the shortest of trips.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
That's a lot of driving. I'd leave off Austin for another trip too. It's like a 7 hour drive from ABQ to PHX, and another 5 hours from PHX to LA. Austin's like almost 1000 miles from PHX. With all those driving days hope you have enough time to actually savor the vibe in those places before you're on the road again.
You could do COS, ABQ,PHX, and LV in one trip, probably, though each one of those is a lot to take in by itself, much less cramming it all in in a tight trip itinerary. Sounds like a cool trip though.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Austin is not Southwestern, geographically or culturally.

Roswell and Co Springs are marginal culturally even if they qualify geographically.

Roswell is really more west Texas/High Plains and Co Springs is somewhat Midwestern in feel with an admittedly gorgeous Rocky Mountain backdrop.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
I think the best way to get the most from this trip as a Southwestern experience would be a circle tour of Arizona, New Mexico, and Las Vegas.

Albuquerque/Santa Fe > Flgastaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon > Las Vegas > Phoenix > Tucson > Las Cruces, NM/El Paso > Roswell > Albuquerque.

You could also fly into Phoenix or Las Vegas and do this same loop and get most of the highlights of the Southwest, maybe add in a spur to Los Angeles. Colorado Springs and Austin will take you way off course though.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Okay maybe I should leave out Colorado and Texas to make it easier. Thank you for the suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.