Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
The list below is from my experience only:

Small town: Generally friendlier people than in a city, if you like cultural activities then you might go lacking, little other entertainment, 'little' traffic to speak of, depending on the size of the town- 'everyone knows everyone' (could be good or bad depending), few choice of restaurants, generally cheaper real estate than the city, little diversity, few retail choices, medical choices could be limited.

Large city - Some people may be friendly but definitely less friendly than small towns, usually more cultural opportunities generally abound, traffic can be heavy especially on freeways, sense of community greatly diminished, plenty of restaurants, real estate may be expensive, lots of people from everywhere, nice malls and retail establishments, great medical care available, suburbia could sprawl everywhere or an urban city might be a 'concrete jungle'.
The people in my town are not friendly at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
The list below is from my experience only:

Small town: Generally friendlier people than in a city, if you like cultural activities then you might go lacking, little other entertainment, 'little' traffic to speak of, depending on the size of the town- 'everyone knows everyone' (could be good or bad depending), few choice of restaurants, generally cheaper real estate than the city, little diversity, few retail choices, medical choices could be limited.

Large city - Some people may be friendly but definitely less friendly than small towns, usually more cultural opportunities generally abound, traffic can be heavy especially on freeways, sense of community greatly diminished, plenty of restaurants, real estate may be expensive, lots of people from everywhere, nice malls and retail establishments, great medical care available, suburbia could sprawl everywhere or an urban city might be a 'concrete jungle'.
This list is excellent.

I'm also speaking from experience...The only thing I'll add is that small towns aren't always friendly to "outsiders" coming in. And your personal business will be known throughout the town in a small town. Entertainment is usually shockingly outdated, also.

Big cities- way less friendly people, even downright cold.
Very busy vibe- no time for getting to know anyone.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
This list is excellent.

I'm also speaking from experience...The only thing I'll add is that small towns aren't always friendly to "outsiders" coming in. And your personal business will be known throughout the town in a small town. Entertainment is usually shockingly outdated, also.

Big cities- way less friendly people, even downright cold.
Very busy vibe- no time for getting to know anyone.

Every small town I have been too have people who are not friendly at all.

Entertainment is something we ca agree on. Actually what entertainment.

I think small towns are for people who want to bring up a family or people who don't like noise but not for anyone who wants to have some sort of exciting life.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm also speaking from experience...The only thing I'll add is that small towns aren't always friendly to "outsiders" coming in. And your personal business will be known throughout the town in a small town.
Every small town I have been too have people who are not friendly at all.

I think small towns are for people who want to bring up a family or people who don't like noise but not for anyone who wants to have some sort of exciting life.

Obviously you were/are the outsider.

As for the second comment... That's not necessarily true for everyone. And just because one live in a big city doesn't mean automatically "Exciting" life. I've met far too many city folks who absolutely do/see nothing and complain that they're bored-- and their lives reflect it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM

109 posts, read 281,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I live in small town now and absolutly hate it. It's extremely boring. I love lots of noise and crazy things going on and it doesn't help that people's attitudes here suck.

You have absolutely got to be under the age of 19.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL-NE View Post
You have absolutely got to be under the age of 19.
I'm 23.

I'm immature because I hate living in ghost towns

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM

304 posts, read 617,449 times
The main difference is jobs (more jobs in the city and with higher wages - along with higher rent/home prices). The rest of the differences are superficial - more restaurants, museums, culture, shopping, etc. Personally, I don't need to spend $200 on a broadway ticket to be "entertained". Entertainment is what you make of it and the company you keep, along with your hobbies and interests.

I do find less tolerance in smaller towns (towards gays, minorities, etc). But I have not travelled the country so I really cannot say this applies everywhere.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What do you consider to be a small town though? There are very small communities not too far from me with things to do due to say a college or a beach/tourism. Some are close enough to bigger cities for jobs and may even have some diversity. Here are a couple that come to mind: Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
Hamilton NY | Welcome to Hamilton, New York! | Local, Stay, Hamilton, Community, Have

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 663 times
Living in big city sounds quite impressive but unfortunately, life in an advance society is not easy as people expect.
Whether its the existence of indifferent attitude of its inhabitants Or high accommodation costs! Living in a big city means you’d have to settle in a competitive world where the demand is great but the supply is restrictive. Also, too much hard-work is required to achieve anything.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Big city is relative. I live in the "big" city and love it. I work in a town called Hammond, small college town of 18,000 or so. I hate literally everything about it. Could never live there. I see people I work with around town, everyone knows everyone, there is very little variety in everything, people are not friendlier in small towns, people are far more judgemental, people are in your business, etc etc etc.
I don't necessarily need NYC level city but at least something like Seattle/Denver/Tampa sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.