Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 AM

648 posts, read 1,619,238 times

Advertisements

I recently got married and my wife is pregnant. I am wondering, while I love New York, is it a good place to raise kids? My house is in a beautiful town on Long Island, schools are highly rated, it is close to everything. I am a big sports fan, lacrosse is very big here. I am a big Yankee and Giants fan, that is something that I feel like I would enjoy doing with my kids, taking them to Yankee games and teaching them how to play football and lacrosse. I think the diversity would be good for kids to be raised around here.

But, I paid the same amount for a 3 bedroom home as a brand new 4, 5, even 6 bedroom home would go for in other cities. My yard is smaller here. Will it be too fast paced for kids? Is it too large for a kid to handle? Is New York too much of a rat race for kids? Will it be too cramped? Will the weather limit their fun? I want my kids to have fun growing up, with space, and party. Growing up, I feel it is very important for kids to have active social lives and party. We were all kids before.

This house in Garden City, New York: over $1.3 million

this house in Southlake, Texas: $995,000

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 04-23-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I recently got married and my wife is pregnant. I am wondering, while I love New York, is it a good place to raise kids? My house is in a beautiful town on Long Island, schools are highly rated, it is close to everything. I am a big sports fan, lacrosse is very big here. I am a big Yankee and Giants fan, that is something that I feel like I would enjoy doing with my kids, taking them to Yankee games and teaching them how to play football and lacrosse. I think the diversity would be good for kids to be raised around here.

But, I paid the same amount for a 3 bedroom home as a brand new 4, 5, even 6 bedroom home would go for in other cities. My yard is smaller here. Will it be too fast paced for kids? Is it too large for a kid to handle? Is New York too much of a rat race for kids? Will it be too cramped? Will the weather limit their fun? I want my kids to have fun growing up, with space, and party. Growing up, I feel it is very important for kids to have active social lives and party. We were all kids before.

This house in Garden City, New York: over $1.3 million

this house in Southlake, Texas: $995,000
Didn't I tell you that if you moved to Syracuse, you wouldn't lose anything except for the faster pace of life and you can get a huge home for less. People are huge Yankees fans up here. Jamesville-DeWitt school district would be perfect for you in terms of being a relatively diverse school district with a great academic record, good sports for the most part(including Lacrosse), you can take the kids to Syracuse University Football, Basketball and Lacrosse games at the Carrier Dome, you can get a good sized yard, there is a Russian presence there(Jews and non-Jews), you can enjoy many other areas of Upstate NY within a very reasonable drive and much more. Check it out, man:

Jamesville Dewitt School District
Test Scores for Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District | GreatSchools
DeWitt, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.townofdewitt.com/
JDYAA LAX Home Page
JDYAA Home Page
J-D wins state title in boys lacrosse | The Insider - syracuse.com
State champs Jamesville-DeWitt and SU basketball team share a unique connection |
Jamesville-Dewitt High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St Mary's Russian Orthodox Church in Jamesville, New York 13078 - syracuse.com

I'm telling you, I think you might actually like the community and area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.