Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM

201 posts, read 219,615 times

Advertisements

Major city lifestyle pros: It's just more of a thrill. The best thing about living in a metropolitan city to me is being in the epicenter of lots of culture and amenities--concert venues, libraries, shops, restaurants, restaurants, restaurants!! I especially love when you have a bunch of all that crap within walking distance haha. Also, more diversity and more young people. You really feel like you're a part of something big and important when you live in a big city and tell people where you're from, and I don't mean that in an arrogant way. Also, with my sense of direction, it is easier to get around when everything is separated by various districts/neighborhoods. Also, besides the amenities I also enjoy being surrounded by the high-rise buildings and various other landmarks. There are also more jobs, but some of them are in the suburbs too.

Small town/rural lifestyle pros: Lower crime, lower taxes, more quiet and peaceful atmosphere, no panhandlers, and less liberal

So, they both have pros and cons. I think it's great for people to have the experience of both living in a big city and living in a small town, but I am ultimately a "fool for the city"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I live in a town of about 50,000, with the CSA being a total of about 500,000. We're about an hour and a half away from any other metropolitan area in any direction.

Disadvantages: Shopping at any level is weak compared to a metro of even one million. We're not affluent enough to get a Costco, Trader Joe's, organic grocers, etc. If Walmart or Food City doesn't have it, you're ordering it online. Selection of everything is more limited.

Job market. There are jobs here, but they are mostly minimum wage to $15/hr. There is not much in the way of career track, white collar employment.

Dating/social scene. I'm 31 and this is my hometown. Most of my professionally minded peers have moved away. After five years away myself, I am a stranger in my hometown. Social circles are pretty well closed and revolve around church. Dating is pretty well nonexistent after college age for people without significant baggage.

Amenities. If you like more than low level college sports and single A baseball (that runs only during the three core summer months), anything else is several hours away. Concerts - almost no national acts come within several hours of here.

Advantages:

Traffic. There really isn't any.

For this specific area, moderate four season climate and a lot of natural beauty.

Generally friendlier people.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I grew up in a small town where life revolved around Walmart, either for working or socializing. I knew I wanted to do more than that so I hiked it out of there as soon as I graduated high school.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I like living in a mid size city. You can get what you need, there is some entertainment available, but most importantly, you can be anonymous. I absolutely hate how people in small towns know everything you're doing and how there are so many nosey people. I grew up in a small town and couldn't stand that aspect of it. What I also find odd, is that I've found a lot of people in small towns expect you to be entertained constantly. I'm amazed at how often I will visit family in small towns and they will ask nonstop what I did and what I'm doing. People in Vegas aren't entertained that much. In mid sized cities that I've lived in I don't get hounded like that nearly as much.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Major cities have the jobs, that will actually allow you to build wealth, as well as amenities, and you don't get stuck in a neighborhood of nosy, conformist neighbors like in a small town either.

Only advantage to a smaller town can be lower cost of living, and less traffic. But if your small town happens to be a vacation spot for people from the Big City, like quite a few are here in AZ, then there goes the only two advantages, at least for the locals

Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
One thing I've always disliked about Chicago (and larger cities in general) is just how much it rubs in the idea that you're not cool enough. There are always more events you don't have time to go to all of, more hot new apartment complexes you can't afford to live in, more hipster fusion cuisines you can't wrap your head around, more avant-garde poetry slams and intersectional feminist art galleries you must be an old fogey if you don't "get". It really wears on your sense of self-confidence after a while. It's like eternal high school.

This is probably true to some degree among the younger people's culture in small towns too, but it feels much more pronounced here.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
One thing I've always disliked about Chicago (and larger cities in general) is just how much it rubs in the idea that you're not cool enough. There are always more events you don't have time to go to all of, more hot new apartment complexes you can't afford to live in, more hipster fusion cuisines you can't wrap your head around, more avant-garde poetry slams and intersectional feminist art galleries you must be an old fogey if you don't "get". It really wears on your sense of self-confidence after a while. It's like eternal high school.

This is probably true to some degree among the younger people's culture in small towns too, but it feels much more pronounced here.
Larger cities give you more options though. Even if you're not into hipster restaurants or feminist art galleries you can sure find something else that you do like. In a small town if you're not big into hunting or fishing, or getting married straight outta high school the locals will see you as "that weird guy". In a small town you're kinda stuck with the people who live in that place forever. In a larger city you have millions of others to choose from. More opportunity to gain wealth, like Firebird said. Not only do city jobs pay high salaries but home values appreciate much more than in a stagnant or declining area.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:57 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
I personally think that living in a mid-size city is better than living in a big city or a small town. You get an urban core for jobs and entertainment, but you aren't completely over crowded and priced out. Tampa or Charleston are great examples of mid-size cities that offer what I consider to be the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.