Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 AM

724 posts, read 504,023 times

Advertisements

On another thread someone mentioned that fights do break out between liberal ( I imagine ) yuppie types and conservative redneck types in the Ithaca area of New York . Now I live right next to a county with a large amount of both types of people and while there is tension between the two groups , I've never actually seen or heard of fights breaking out between them .

I've also never read or heard about such things occurring in other parts of the country ( minus within the context of the thread mentioned above ) which is why I'm interested in hearing more about this topic .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:23 AM

481 posts, read 423,487 times
Besides those moronic clashes between edgy left and right wing youths in major cities (just search for "antifa vs" or "patriot prayer march" or anything akin to that, but be warned: the videos typically have extremely annoying partisan commentary), people seldom get into physical confrontations about their beliefs in this country. The worst that usually happens is behind-your-back gossip and avoiding people you don't agree with. Actual physical confrontations is a wonderfully childish way to express your beliefs as well as get charged with assault and battery.

To respond to your question though, I do notice a lot of these aforementioned youth left vs right wing clashes occuring only on the coasts. Berkley, Seattle, and Portland seem to have quite a few confrontations, while on the east coast I've watched videos on clashes in NYC, a mini-doc on Antifa/Black-bloc in Philly, and of course the right-wing incidents in Charlottesville. I believe this concentration is due to the large % of youth on the coasts.

I have never heard of yuppies getting into fistfights with rednecks. I think it's a bit of a misnomer too, because rednecks can be just as rich as yuppies, but they just happen to embrace the "redneck" culture. Yuppies can range anywhere from far left to far right, so they as a group don't have some giant ideological beef with rednecks (and not all rednecks are necessarily conservative). Yuppies are also some of the last people I imagine who would throw their lives away getting into a fight.

Furthermore, yuppies and rednecks tend to live in separate areas. I think a much more serious clash occuring right now is between yuppies gentrifying cities and driving out blue collar/working class urban residents (not sure if those people tend to embrace "redneck" culture; I don't know what you call blue collar urban culture). Besides a few rural places like Jackson's Hole, I don't think there is a big movement of yuppies buying up tons of rural land and kicking all the rednecks out.

I feel like I missed your question, but I hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
The answer is in the above post. They don't live in the same areas. I wouldn't call myself "yuppie," but I lean more that way than jacked up truck redneck. A liberal yuppie is not going to like northeast TN.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I think a much more serious clash occuring right now is between yuppies gentrifying cities and driving out blue collar/working class urban residents (not sure if those people tend to embrace "redneck" culture; I don't know what you call blue collar urban culture).
From my direct experience, most yuppies and hipsters refer to any non-yuppie, non-hipster white culture as a "redneck" culture, including the working-class urban white culture that still exists in large numbers across the Rust Belt.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
If members of both groups that are supremely immature losers get together in an environment where because of close proximity or issues with sharing space, then yes, I suppose behavior usually seen only from sub-fourteen years olds could be likely to occur.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,695 times
The NYTimes did a really interesting piece a while back that we're all essentially clustered into areas (liberals clustered into areas - conservatives clustered in another) so I'd imagine fights seldom happen.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 PM

1,235 posts, read 946,595 times
There's plenty of people in my area are both at the exact same time.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Where do yuppies and rednecks even live together? They usually prefer completely different kind of places. There might be some overlap in the suburbs, though.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
It's interesting that when face to face, people usually get along okay, or tolerate each other well enough. I have lived in major cities and the boonies, and have been around blue collar and white collar folk, hippies, rednecks, etc., and I've never seen any major confrontations except maybe in city council meetings or those types of venues where debate is expected. But, then the next day they'll all be at the same diner and behaving decently towards each other.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:06 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Where do yuppies and rednecks even live together? They usually prefer completely different kind of places. There might be some overlap in the suburbs, though.
I would assume mostly collegetows like State College or Othaca that are surrounded by very rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.