Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

What does it mean to be feminine aside from biology?

Or do you mean lady-like?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
I have a knack for ruffling feathers on this forum, so here I go again:

I see both the masculinization of women and feminization of men. Heck, here in the SF Bay Area, plenty of feminine-acting men. However, honestly, more women seem to be becoming more masculine.

As a male, that is a complete turn off, in addition to the arrogance and entitlement mentality that seems to plague even many visually uglier women today. I come from a family full of very strong women; it's one thing to be strong, but it's another thing to be a completely arrogant, stuck up a** that is absolutely floored when the world is not given to her with little in return. I've even dated devout Christian girls completely devoid of manners who, in turn, got furious with me for calling them out on it. And yes, I am very polite otherwise.

I'll take it a step further: Men seem generally "unchanged," except for some feminization among some men, particularly in their 40s and younger. By "unchanged," I mean that if you look at the various generations, there are many cool, laid back, smart, stupid, ignorant, arrogant, and rude men spanning the generations. I think the older men are more polite generally, but the difference is not overwhelming. I guess men aren't as quick to change, or "evolve," as women. A jerk is a jerk, always has been and, yes, those men (and women) that are physically heinous to their wives, children, parents, etc. should to to prison.

Women, on the other hand, are a different story. American women aged around 38 or 40 and older are practically from a different planet than those under 38/40. Pre-reality TV, American women generally had more of a sense of femininity and secureness thereof and even tended (and still tend) to be a little more appreciate of arts and culture. Strong but smart. Under 38/40 still has many feminine, cultured women, but noticeably much less, and they seem to have been much more influenced by the inundation of mindless girl talk drama that seems to infiltrate every TV channel now. In other words, many are total brats and less capable of independent thinking, despite how "independent" they claim to be.

Even my mother admits that women are meaner than men. I agree with her. While, let's say, Casey Anthony is an extreme example and 99% of Americans still care about human life, her unabashed narcissism is fairly indicative of many younger women today, even in the sans-Florida South.

Oh, to answer the original question, away from the white trash/redneck/hillbilly/gone muddin' women, I would still argue that the South has the most feminine.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM

364 posts, read 715,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
It's just a feeling but I'd say somewhere between the Midwest and the South if you know what I mean, IL, IN, KY, TN, AR, MO. Honestly the misandry in New England does seem to run kind of high, especially in the college setting where I am.
I would take IL, IN, KY, and probably MO off that list. I don't know where some of you guys are seeing these "feminine" women in the midwest, but it seems like the frumpy, big jeans, hoody wearing female is more prevalent here than back on the east coast. Hell, here in Cincinnati, it's not all that uncommon to spot a woman wearing a Carhartt jacket......That definitely screams femininity.

Last edited by 13th Alphabet; 02-17-2012 at 01:06 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Chivalry is dead and pointless. Women don't appreciate it.
Not from MY experience, in every case where I was an old school "Gentleman" the female in question loved it.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I don't think women are becoming more masculine, I think they are just becoming more independent and broadening the definitions of gender roles.
I agree. Every human being should strive to be self sufficient. Nobody owes anybody a living (unless you're supporting a kid). I think there was a time in which women were not educated and were only employable in low paying positions. This gave rise to a culture in which women had to act subservient to men and stay even in abusive situations just for their survival. It was one step up from slavery, actually. Some of the old ideas of femininity were really phony. Many women today put on that 'all sweetness and light' act just to manipulate men. If you get your 'feminine' woman, be sure she's for real and not a sponge.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I agree. Women want to treat men like $h!t but also have them hold doors for them. It don't work that way ladies.

You show me respect and I show you courtesy.
All people should behave courteously and hold doors for each other. We usually earn how people treat us.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
but is it too much to ask ladies to wear a dress every now and then instead of sweats
<<<<<
Is it too much to expect to see a man in a three piece suit with a cashmere coat and a smart hat?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What does it mean to be feminine aside from biology?
That's exactly what I thought. I think, if this is happening, it is starting in the womb. All else that we use to define the sexes is a social construct, and as so, changeable.
Life is all about change, either we adapt or we go backwards. That might not sound pleasant, but I think it's just reality. It's nature.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Is it too much to expect to see a man in a three piece suit with a cashmere coat and a smart hat?
Too bad if it burns your biscuits that I like to see a lady in a dress rather than sweats.

I've lived in different parts of the country and didn't go for the so-called "natural" look of the women from other parts (Northeast and upper West Coast especially) of the country different than Oklahoma/Texas. We've always called 'em "Granolas".

We don't mind our ladies looking smokin' hot and getting gussied up for their men down in these parts in the South-Central.

Each to his own though.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
I would say states like AL/MS/GA/KY ... IN/NE/OK/KS/TX.
Basically states that lean conservative traditionalist, with a less visible proportion of feminists or alternative lifestyles amongst the female demographic.
Of course this doesn't mean feminine girls can not exist elsewhere, the most feminine girl on the planet could live in Portland, Oregon. It's a generalization.
Out of all of these, I would say GA/TX have the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.