Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times

Advertisements

What is missing is critical thinking, not just accepting all the crap pushed down our throats. And not just domestic travel, everybody could use some international experience...and i am not talking Puero Rico or Canada.

I have seen on CD people asking about passports and visa for PR.
One, of many problems is the me me me mindset...or we are the best country in the world and others can go to he**.

open your mind and realize there are other opinions and world views out there and they are not less valid because some may not agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
I just think that Americans are generally ignorant of geography, especially within their own country. There are many reasons for this (large nation, diverse cultures, crappy schools, etc)...but in my mind, many people simply aren't willing to learn about other cultures because it's "different" to them, and, for some people, different automatically equates to weird, which automatically equates to bad.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
The ignorance cuts both ways. Some educated city dwellers who are the first to decry the ignorance of their fellow Americans have their own stereotypical views of rural people as dumb hayseeds or worse, bigots and religious nutjobs.
I once got in an argument with a guy from New York City , a place I have only been to once, when I made an off hand comment that Brooklyn and Queens are on the island of Long Island. Mr. Native New Yorker insisted I didn't know what I was talking about, he had lived all his life in New York yadda yadda and he knew Brooklyn and Queens weren't on Long Island. I told him I'd bet him any amount of money they were and he suddenly stopped arguing, I think finally realizing I may be right. Some people are ignorant of their own neighborhoods.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
^^Oh yeah, tell me about it. Some (but not all) New Yorkers can be just as ignorant and provincial as anyone else.

Outside of "da City", everything between Vegas and Philadelphia is monothic...Denver, Atlanta, Buffalo, whatever. It's all the same!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
It all seems to boil down to the fact that the US is becoming more and more "provincial", which is kind of backwards in terms of development.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM

410 posts, read 342,225 times
Most people in large cities are totally ignorant of rural America because of their stubborn refusal to peek out of their own small little world.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The ignorance cuts both ways. Some educated city dwellers who are the first to decry the ignorance of their fellow Americans have their own stereotypical views of rural people as dumb hayseeds or worse, bigots and religious nutjobs.
I once got in an argument with a guy from New York City , a place I have only been to once, when I made an off hand comment that Brooklyn and Queens are on the island of Long Island. Mr. Native New Yorker insisted I didn't know what I was talking about, he had lived all his life in New York yadda yadda and he knew Brooklyn and Queens weren't on Long Island. I told him I'd bet him any amount of money they were and he suddenly stopped arguing, I think finally realizing I may be right. Some people are ignorant of their own neighborhoods.
I was born a raised in New York, and Lived on Long Island for quite a few years. You would be amazed at how many Long Islanders could not comprehend the FACT that Brooklyn And Queens were on Long Island and that Long Island has 4 (not 2) Counties: Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Nassau and Suffolk

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM

...also won a bet with a Canadian that did not believe that Queen Elizabeth II was the Queen of Canada.

Ignorance is not just an American trait

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I'd like to travel to the West Coast and see what it's like there but after that nasty business with the Donner Party, I think I'll just stay right here.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd like to travel to the West Coast and see what it's like there but after that nasty business with the Donner Party, I think I'll just stay right here.
Yep. we eat our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.