Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Worcester- pronounced Wor-ches-ter by most people really pronounced Wo-ster
*and New Englanders Pronounce Aunt, Aunt not ant.

I grew up in MA, and and now living in Florida. I was talking to someone one time about Worcester, and they said, "I can tell you are from MA since you can pronouce Worcester correctly!!

Also - yeah Aunt... I never have said ant. To me, an ANT is a little annoying thing on the ground and an AUNT is your dad or mom's sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I grew up in MA, and and now living in Florida. I was talking to someone one time about Worcester, and they said, "I can tell you are from MA since you can pronouce Worcester correctly!!

Also - yeah Aunt... I never have said ant. To me, an ANT is a little annoying thing on the ground and an AUNT is your dad or mom's sister.
That one is just a difference in pronunciation, not incorrect. For the most part, the only people who say awe-nt are people from New England, most the rest of the country will say ant.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Another New England one:

Leicester, MA is pronounced as Lester

Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Helena, MT is pronounced hell-in-uh. Not hel-leen-uh.
Coeur D'Alene sounds like core duhlain. Three syllables. Not the other random pronunciations I've heard.
Oregon the state is "Organ" but Oregon, OH is pronounced Or-eh-gawn.
Toledo, Oh is obviously not pronounced the same as Toledo, Spain.

Last edited by Vegabern; 06-10-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frocio View Post

My tenth great grandfather was among the founders of Raynham, Massachusetts.
Funny, my tenth great grandfather was one of the 48 (IIRC) founders of Taunton! That said, after 3-4 generations they left MA, and lived in 5 other states over the generations, before I ended up moving to MA at age 12 (from the midwest).

Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
not sure or whether its just cultural. my mom is from new orleans and she never does the thru your nose gnawlens pronunciation which is shoved on outsiders whenever they visit.
i dont know who started this stuff but not my grandparents nor my mom they are all from new orleans.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
no it is not.
Even in Portuguese the letter e is never pronounced as "ee".
its still pronounced San Peedro (unless you are a tourist)

Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Oregon the state is "Organ" but Oregon, OH is pronounced Or-eh-gawn.
Not quite "Organ" - there is a third syllable in the middle. The important part is that the emphasis is on the first syllable -

OR-eh-gun, not or-eh-GON.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
its still pronounced San Peedro (unless you are a tourist)
What about the Skirball Center on Sepulveda? I imagine many tourists screw all that up lol!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusfsnps View Post
There is a town near the Continental Divide along I-40 in New Mexico that is spelled "Thoreau" as in Henry David. The people in the area, from Grants to Gallup at least, pronounce it "threw" (past tense of throw).

The one that bugs me is how easterners pronounce the State of Nevada and the Sierra Nevada (as in the mountain range in California). It is pronounced "na VAA da" and not "na VAAAHHH da." I've embellished the middle syllable because the pronunciation bugs me so much. This syllable should not rime with "aaugh" as the doctor tells you to do.

Some easterners (begins at the eastern fence line of Denver International!) insist that their version is correct in Spanish, which it is not, but neither is the "VAA" of the westerners. If we assume the easterners are correct then we need to pronounce "New Mexico," "New meh HE co." Then there is that state next door, named Texas, in Spanish it is "TAY hass." Now I find it funny that easterners try to tell westerners how to pronounce Spanish, the same ones that think Taco Bell is Mexican food.

One of the funniest mispronunciations I recall is when I lived in New Mexico. There was a local rancher that overgrazed his land and the public domain land he had a grazing permit for. He kept vilifying the "Sahara Club" for filing complaints with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) for his grazing practices. I never corrected him as I kept expecting him to figure it out on his own. Besides it was fun just listening to it.
Damn those easterners! They're always dropping r's or adding or subtracting syllables. What are we to do with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.