Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US cities will rebound posting a population gain in 2020?
Baltimore, MD 35 19.66%
Birmingham, AL 28 15.73%
Buffalo, NY 11 6.18%
Chicago, IL 61 34.27%
Cincinnati, OH 34 19.10%
Cleveland, OH 26 14.61%
Detroit, MI 26 14.61%
New Orleans, LA 72 40.45%
Oakland, CA 44 24.72%
Pittsburgh, PA 63 35.39%
Rochester, NY 16 8.99%
Toledo, OH 13 7.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times

Advertisements

Oakland, particularly as population growth in San Francisco begins to spill over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
I really believe Pittsburgh will finally stabilize its population and end 60 years of suburban flight.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
1. New Orleans: I expect New Orleans to post a gain. The population loss it posted was b/c Katrina, not normal migration patterns. The city continues to rebuild and IMO is on a positive trajectory. It has good bones and a rich cultural history and is a desirable place to live for those looking for an older city feel in the sunbelt.

2. Chicago. As the cultural and financial center of the midwest, I expect to see the city itself bounce a bit. My understanding is that a good bit of its decrease was the result of razing some housing projects.

I'd really like to see Birmingham bounce back, but sadly I don't think it will. The mismanagement in that city is just ridiculous. Some of it because of poor choices and some because of corruption. Birmingham is the seat of Jefferson County, which recently declared bankrupcty. I just don't know of any changes that will cause its decline to reverse. At one time Atlanta and Birmingham were on the same level, but Birmingham rejected the airport hub, clung to manufacturing, and tried to keep racial segregation. Atlanta, on the other hand, embraced the airport hub, diversified its economy, and integrated peacefully. The last 50 years have clearly shown which city had the more forward-thinking leadership.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
1. New Orleans: I expect New Orleans to post a gain. The population loss it posted was b/c Katrina, not normal migration patterns. The city continues to rebuild and IMO is on a positive trajectory. It has good bones and a rich cultural history and is a desirable place to live for those looking for an older city feel in the sunbelt.

2. Chicago. As the cultural and financial center of the midwest, I expect to see the city itself bounce a bit. My understanding is that a good bit of its decrease was the result of razing some housing projects.

I'd really like to see Birmingham bounce back, but sadly I don't think it will. The mismanagement in that city is just ridiculous. Some of it because of poor choices and some because of corruption. Birmingham is the seat of Jefferson County, which recently declared bankrupcty. I just don't know of any changes that will cause its decline to reverse. At one time Atlanta and Birmingham were on the same level, but Birmingham rejected the airport hub, clung to manufacturing, and tried to keep racial segregation. Atlanta, on the other hand, embraced the airport hub, diversified its economy, and integrated peacefully. The last 50 years have clearly shown which city had the more forward-thinking leadership.
Even though most major cities have metro areas with substantially more population than the inner city (Atlanta a prime example, less than 10% of the metro area is in the city proper) I could see B'ham become a city where the power and population moves outside the central city to such an extent that the suburban base really moves the city. If Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Homewood and Hoover merged, the "over the mountain" communities would one day dwarf the central city. In many ways this has already happened.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Out of that list, none.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Out of that list, none.
You must be blind.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
How can we speculate on population changes from 2010 to 2020, when the population data isn't even available yet from the 2010 census? By the way, what is taking them so long?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Out of that list, I would only put my bets on New Orleans.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Baltimore made some gains, though. I have pretty much only heard bad reports about the place, but if D.C. and Philly can turn the population decline around I don't see why Baltimore couldn't.

I have zero expectations of any of the great lakes cities gaining population next census. Those cities are just miserable places to live.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You must be blind.

No I am realistic. NO is not going to gain, if anything it will start loosing, people do not want to be threatened by hurricanes. I know at least 40 people who moved from NO because of the constant threat and they said they will never go back. As I am sure you voted for New Orl.
Sorry annie.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
I would like to see Chicago stabalize.
There is no doubt the South and the West sides are in need of some help.

There does seem to be a resurgance of companies moving back to downtown vs. being located in the burbs, if this trend continues I do not see how the city will be losing population by the year 2020.

If that trend does not happen I think the growth will continue to be in the entire region vs. the city proper.

Outside of that I am curious as if NYC will hold onto its gains of the past decade.

Seems Pittsburg has diversified its economy now and I can see the city rebounding.

Detroit is making some great in roads and as they say Detroit has a solid frame.

So I think the city to most likely show a resurgance by 2020 would be Detroit , MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.