Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I don't think it's just limited to large metropolitan areas. I'm from a small metropolitan area (about 464,000) and it happens here as well. I rarely ventured out of my 2-4 mile radius or so. Occasionally if there was a store or a movie theater in another part of town that didn't exist in my radius, I'd go there, but that was uncommon.

When I moved to another part of town after moving back a couple of years ago, and meeting people from other parts of town, I've discovered restaurants and other places that I didn't even know existed. It's kind of sad, really, but it's hard to get out and about all of the time when you think driving ten minutes to the store is ridiculously long.
If you are talking about Lansing, I understand. When I was going to MSU, I felt like I was one of the handful of students that would venture to the Lansing Mall instead of the Meridian Mall in Okemos. Even within East Lansing, I one day didn't realize that there was a Meijer north of Downtown E.L. until a friend with a car drove there. There were quite a few apartments that way as well. occasionally I would go to the strip of shopping on Pennsylvania Ave. and would go into the city of Lansing for something. Nice area that reminds me of the area I live, but just a little bit smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Washington D.C. Metro residents don't know much about their area.
Yeah, definitely. A lot of people I know give me a look like "you know, you're going to die," whenever I mention I'm going to take the Green Line somewhere.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
How much of this can be blamed on the Local News? Families want to protect and shelter kids because they see the daily story of some car jacking, homicide or something else. A good majority of these crimes are related, but people don't care and will always have fear in them about a city until they become educated.
So many younger people are moving into cities these days because most likely they were sheltered from parents. Parents told them to stay away from the City or only stay around these areas. Once the child moves out on his own to college, they start venturing into the city, see a show, eat at a new restaurant and they say to themself "Hey, this place really isn't that bad, I wouldnt mind living here some day."

The next trend people need to set is how to keep the younger people stay in the cities and make the public schools better instead of just retreating back to the suburbs.

Why wouldn't this story want to make you flee the suburbs?
‘Extreme Makeover’ Trainer Chris Powell’s Nanny, Baby Carjacked - ABC News

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are talking about Lansing, I understand. When I was going to MSU, I felt like I was one of the handful of students that would venture to the Lansing Mall instead of the Meridian Mall in Okemos. Even within East Lansing, I one day didn't realize that there was a Meijer north of Downtown E.L. until a friend with a car drove there. There were quite a few apartments that way as well. occasionally I would go to the strip of shopping on Pennsylvania Ave. and would go into the city of Lansing for something. Nice area that reminds me of the area I live, but just a little bit smaller.
Yeah, I'm talking about Lansing. There might be some additional factors (like the presence of MSU) that keep things a little more separated than average. Mainly though I was just trying to say that if you have multiple shopping areas with similar stores, you're probably going only to the ones close to home and/or work.

I do think size has something to do with it. When I lived in State College, PA, it seemed like most people knew where things were all across town, at least in State College itself. Them knowing about surrounding communities, on the other hand, yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.