Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

So which major 'auto-dominated' metropolises in the US (e.g. Phoenix, Houston, Indianapolis, Charlotte) are improving in terms of public transport, vibrancy of city centre/target nodes, TOD development, walkability, city attractiveness/safety.etc. I say improving because most people would consider this an improvement...in which cities are the city authorities not doing enough? Where this pattern of things doesn't seem to be changing at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,882,194 times
Is Detroit STILL without a rail transit system? That'd be one. Indy or Columbus are two others without rail transit that I know of and am unsure of any proposals on the table that have funding and approvals.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,152 times
L.A., Houston, and Denver would be three traditionally auto-dominated cities that are fairly rapidly improving mass transit. Maybe Minneapolis as well?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,754 times
Los Angeles, but it needs to radically re-zone and re-plan in order to capitalise on its investment. If you spend all that money on a rail system but don't aggressively develop around it, you're just wasting money.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Los Angeles, but it needs to radically re-zone and re-plan in order to capitalise on its investment. If you spend all that money on a rail system but don't aggressively develop around it, you're just wasting money.
Or at least have a very good system of feeder buses, which is what is happening in my city.

When visiting LA I mostly relied on the Metro to get me places. And it worked surprisingly well for where I wanted to get too. But it didn't seem like the station precincts were any more developed than any other neighbourhood in the city.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or at least have a very good system of feeder buses, which is what is happening in my city.

When visiting LA I mostly relied on the Metro to get me places. And it worked surprisingly well for where I wanted to get too. But it didn't seem like the station precincts were any more developed than any other neighbourhood in the city.
Are you in Perth? They've done a great job with attempting to grow in a more TOD manner from what I've seen.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Is Detroit STILL without a rail transit system? That'd be one. Indy or Columbus are two others without rail transit that I know of and am unsure of any proposals on the table that have funding and approvals.
They have a people mover or whatever its called lol I guess Detroit doesn't want any transit rail system except cars since that's pretty much their birthplace.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
. Maybe Minneapolis as well?
Yes
Daily ridership for our first light rail line (opened 2004) was projected to have a daily ridership of 24,800 by 2020. In 2011 the daily ridership was 30,500.
Another light rail under construction and many people are starting to throw away the car and ride the bicycle

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Yes
Daily ridership for our first light rail line (opened 2004) was projected to have a daily ridership of 24,800 by 2020. In 2011 the daily ridership was 30,500.
Another light rail under construction and many people are starting to throw away the car and ride the bicycle

Not likely. You cannot tow a boat or camper up north without a motor vehicle.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So which major 'auto-dominated' metropolises in the US (e.g. Phoenix, Houston, Indianapolis, Charlotte) are improving in terms of public transport, vibrancy of city centre/target nodes, TOD development, walkability, city attractiveness/safety.etc. I say improving because most people would consider this an improvement...in which cities are the city authorities not doing enough? Where this pattern of things doesn't seem to be changing at all?
Here is Houston's Transportation plan:

It is a start but no where as comprehensive as what we had 100 years ago.

Here is the rail system 100 years ago:

Here are the TOD's Houston is hoping to develop around its stations:

quite ambitious. TOD's thus far have been most successful south of the Medical center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.