Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 PM

368 posts, read 995,837 times

Advertisements

This is our dream town. Does it sound familiar to anyone?

It should be a small town to itself (ie. not part of a sprawl of connected towns or a bedroom community to a city). It should, ideally, have less than three thousand people (but definitely less than five thousand). It should be in a natural setting and have wide access to nature. It should have a town center with walkability and an active, friendly community that hosts community celebrations (ie. 4th of July gatherings, Christmas tree lightings, etc.). It should have a good library system. It should be no more than an hour away from a town with a good hospital, decent shopping, cultural opportunities, etc. It should be a place people love living.

If anybody has any recommendations, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
A lot of small towns in upstate NY come to mind.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
Vermont and New Hampshire towns, like Whitefield , NH, or Lyndon, VT. There are community hospitals in the region- I think there is one in Whitefield or Littleton, but for serious stuff people go to the Dartmouth Hospital in Hanover, NH.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Afton, Minnesota

Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
A lot of small towns in upstate NY come to mind.
My thoughts exactly. Hamilton, Marcellus, Chittenango, Canastota, Clinton, Sherrill, Aurora, Groton and Watkins Glen come to mind off of the top of my head. There are others up here too.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,330 times
That rural Northeast that never gets media attention and most people don't know about? That's probably perfect for you. Small town America is alive and well throughout a lot of the country.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Ha ha! This is so funny! I'm originally from upstate NY (now we're living in VA). I've been weighing moving back closer to family against living in our "ideal" place. Maybe we can have both!

Not sure about returning to those Northeastern/New England winters...My husband does say VA is too warm for him, though and he'd like to get back to some snow. I'm a little on the fence, myself...

Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
The Northeast US doesn't have a lock on that type of town, as the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states have a number of good possibilities. Check out Dublin, Virginia which is a great small town in the Blue Ridge foothills and has a library with it's own cat. (how can you not love that?) Belle

Also check out Tuscola, Illinois (in the midst of farm country) and a real Norman Rockwell kind of town. Point to Tuscola :: Tuscola Facts :: Tuscola, IL

Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Northeast US doesn't have a lock on that type of town, as the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states have a number of good possibilities. Check out Dublin, Virginia which is a great small town in the Blue Ridge foothills and has a library with it's own cat. (how can you not love that?) Belle
I do have to say, one of my husband's prerequisites (if this was to truly be his "ideal" town) was that it should be in or near the mountains (he grew up in Denver). I just didn't want to put in so many variables that it would make the place impossible to find. We could probably check out Dublin in a day trip.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM

637 posts, read 1,026,522 times
With your screen name artistatheart....

I'm thinking, Taos,NM

Has everything you need and has big beautiful mountains nearby.

Hey, if it's good enough for Julia Roberts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.