Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 47,490 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here's what I want:

A small, quaint town with a nice town square or main street, that's still active and cute. A friendly atmosphere, good schools, low crime and cost of living. I like all four seasons and would like atleast a couple good snows a year. I also would like to be within an hour or two from a good sized city where I can shop, etc. Where I live now just has a walmart, for shopping and groceries and it's awful. I really prefer the mountains to the coast or flat land.

I know I'm asking a lot, but does this place exist? But I can't be the only one out there looking for this type of community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Sounds like western North Carolina maybe Waynesville check it out.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
There are some great small towns with village greens throughout New England. Hanover, NH is a lovely spot and home to Dartmouth. Marlboro, VT is another nice small town though the relative cost of living in both places is higher compared to the rest of the country but no outrageous if you don't need a McMansion on a giant lot because in the Northeast it's the property taxes that can suck you dry. As everyone who reads my posts knows, I'm partial to Vermont though it can be expensive however it has everything you want. New Hampshire does too and though it doesn't have income or sales taxes, the property taxes can be high. You'll end-up paying one way or the other.

One other place you may want to check out is Leadville, CO. It's up there, literally, as the highest town in the US, but the entire downtown is an historic district. Colorado's cost of living isn't too bad and you do get four seasons though spring and fall are fairly short. Some of the old west towns like Leadville are really beautiful. Ah, also may wish to check out the Flagstaff area. Flagstaff is a great city.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,736 times
Roanoke, Virginia This has all of what you want

Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Mt. Airy, NC----It's the hometown of Andy Griffith and was the model for the town of Mayberry. Many of the businesses mentioned on the show (Walley's Service Station, Blue Bird Diner, Floyd's Barber Shop, ect) are actual establishments that were there years before the show aired and are still doing very good business. Andy was VERY careful that the sets, the feel and characters of the show came across as close to what he lived out and experienced in Mt. Airy as possible. I live about 1.5 hours south of Mt. Aity (Charlotte area), and we visit there a couple of times a year. There's a good bit to see and do for a town its size (pop. about 6,000). They play up the "Mayberry" thing, but not to an extreme or in a tacky way. It's honestly one of the nicest, cutest, cleanest towns in the nation. Very nice, active downtown. The people are so nice. It's in the foothills of the NC mountains (very pretty), and has an awesome 4-season climate. Jan. hi/low about 46/26 11" of snow a year. July hi/low about 83/63. Lots of sun year round. Though it's not in a metro area, Charlotte is 1.5 hours to the south (via I-77), and Winston Salem is 45 minutes to the SE (via I-74). Cost of living is very good.

As with nearly ANY small town anywhere outside of a metro area, the economy is limited. If you're willing to commute to Winston Salem, go there with a job in place, can work from home, or are retired, you're in good shape. I'm not sure about the schools. Google NC public schools under Surry County, and see what you find. Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you're looking for!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme View Post

A small, quaint town with a nice town square or main street, that's still active and cute. A friendly atmosphere, good schools, low crime and cost of living. I like all four seasons and would like atleast a couple good snows a year. I also would like to be within an hour or two from a good sized city where I can shop, etc. Where I live now just has a walmart, for shopping and groceries and it's awful. I really prefer the mountains to the coast or flat land.

I know I'm asking a lot, but does this place exist? But I can't be the only one out there looking for this type of community!
I think such places exist all over the Midwest. Bolivar, Missouri is exactly that. A town of about 10,000 people with a Baptist University, a good hospital, and a traditional and classic town square with the county courthouse situated in it. It is inexpensive, fantastically friendly people, about 20" of snow a year, about 30 miles north of "big city" shopping in Springfield, but also not too far from major shopping to the north in Kansas City. There are no mountains, but it's not completely flat. Another place that might have that aspect with mountains might be Western North Carolina?

Last edited by MoMark; 11-21-2006 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:

You'd absolutely adore Honesdale, PA! I'm a bit of a tourism photographer for PA, so you can find a few dozen photos that I've taken of Honesdale here: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...art-three.html

The town is located in a scenic setting in a part of the Pocono Mountains that is close enough to mid-sized Scranton for shopping and nightlife, (about 35-40 minutes), yet still far enough away from the parts of the Poconos that have been destroyed by the influx of new residents from NYC/NJ. The town is very "Mayberry-like" in character, and it's a place where everybody seems to know you after a while. When we visited back in September, the town was having its annual Fall Harvest Festival with sidewalk sales, food vendors, a band, etc. lining its historic Main Street. There's a "hidden" town square parallel to the main drag through town with a large park and the county courthouse. Aptly named "Church Street" is home to over a half-dozen churches in a stretch of about a half-mile. The town's main drag is home to neat little shops, including organic foods, antiques, yoga studios, etc., and festivals abound. The cost-of-living is still very affordable, with most homes ranging between $100,000 to $200,000. Urban sprawl has yet to mar this small-town oasis, with the exception of Wal-Mart and Home Depot just outside of town. Nearby Scranton is home to Starbucks, Abercrombie & Fitch, minor-league sports, JCPenney, Target, Wegman's Foods, Macy's, etc. for when you get that "city-kick." This town truly is a hidden paradise!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 47,490 times
Default Is this town out there?

I know I'm asking a lot, but does this place exist?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,142 times
Ya, N.H. has lots of them. Try Hancock, Concord, Monroe, Lancaster, Lebanon, and on and on. Anywhere in NH is within 2 hrs of a city for shopping. If you get north you have Littleton or Conway, if in the middle you have West Lebanon, and in the south you have Concord and Manchester. Try this web site WWW.nneren.com (broken link) , it has maps of the state that even show the towns and where they are located. As well as houses for sale in that area. Places to avoid would be Allenstown, Clearmont, Newport, and Hindsdale. Another link you might find useful is www.mapsexoffenders.com this is a must know. Good luck

Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,142 times
Quote:

I know I'm asking a lot, but does this place exist?
Vermont has no shopping they all come to N.H., To shop. And then the state of VT makes them pay their sales tax on all the stuff they bought tax free. lol And this is a Extremely liberal State. It ranks in the top 10 for highest taxes in the nation. Along with Laws that tell you what color you have to paint your house. And Alot of NIMBY Type people there. Beware if looking here, Howard dean messed this state up bad. check out their act 60 and there act 250. And while your there don't cut down a tree the huggers will send you to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.