Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times

Advertisements

All these lists have but one common denominator and that denominator is that in our country NYC is first place BY FAR. Second place til fifteenth place will always vary source to source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
The Inland Empire drags down L.A.'s average down (the 13 million L.A. metro for example, has a better per capita than Chicagoland, on top of being larger), but if you want to talk punching below its weight--explain how L.A. has the third largest economy despite being the 15th largest metro?

Yeah showbiz, nothing else. Being the largest manufacturing center in the U.S., with the most significant port in the Western hemisphere are nothing. A thought almost as embarrassing as those GAWC lists.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The Inland Empire drags down L.A.'s average down (the 13 million L.A. metro for example, has a better per capita than Chicagoland, on top of being larger)

So let me get this straight: first you use the "Inland Empire" population to inflate LA's significance (or don't you? I am confused) and then in the next sentence you tell us that it actually "drags down" LA. Having problems with basic logic today?

Quote:
, but if you want to talk punching below its weight--explain how L.A. has the third largest economy despite being the 15th largest metro?
Yes, let me explain: the US has the highest per capita income in the world (not counting a few tiny countries) and this is a direct byproduct of that. Every American city has a larger economy than its population would suggest. In that sense LA is no different from Nashville or Jacksonville.

Quote:
Yeah showbiz, nothing else. Being the largest manufacturing center in the U.S., with the most significant port in the Western hemisphere are nothing. A thought almost as embarrassing as those GAWC lists.
Wow, the largest manufacturing base! And a port! (just like Houston)... Quite an impressive resume for a "17.8m" metro.

Quote:
A thought almost as embarrassing as those GAWC lists.
If you can't shoot the message, shoot the messenger...

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 03-28-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM

I grew up in LA and left it for Toronto as fast as I could and then for NYC. LA is the very definition of mediocre, except the mammoth size the LA area fails to be the second city of our country the way NYC does across the board. There is no true second city because Chicago is smaller and LA is pathetic for its size

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Tier 1: NYC and LA
Tier 2: Chicago
Tier 3: DC, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philly, SF
Tier 4: Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego
Tier 5: Baltimore, Pittsburgh,New Orleans, Cleveland, charlotte, St. Louis,
Tier 6: Raleigh, Richmond, Newark, Hampton Roads, buffalo...

Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Tier 1: NYC and LA
Tier 2: Chicago
Tier 3: DC, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philly, SF
Tier 4: Seattle, Minneapolis, San Diego
Tier 5: Baltimore, Pittsburgh,New Orleans, Cleveland, charlotte, St. Louis,
Tier 6: Raleigh, Richmond, Newark, Hampton Roads, buffalo...
OMG--don't tell me you're serious! (New Orleans/Charlotte/Raleigh/Richmond/Newark/Hampton Roads/Buffalo OVER Denver/Cincinnati/ Portland/Tampa/Kansas City, etc.) LOL...

Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Actually Chandler there was nothing your beloved LA could offer me that I seeked. Compared to NYC there is just no hope for competition, NYC packs quantity and quality. How about LA? Everything about it is third rate
Like I said, glad you left. Your posts scream "I'm one of the 20% of New Yorkers who live below the poverty line" anyway.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-28-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
I grew up in NYC, and left as soon as I could. Then I moved to LA.

With my wife, Morgan Fairchild.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Like I said, glad you left. Your posts scream "I'm one of the 20% of New Yorkers who live below the poverty line" anyway.
What a typical response. Im well off in NYC. Sorry to say but if it weren't for Hollywood, beaches and mountains then LA would have nothing. There's a reason people steer away from placing LA as a solid second because it lacks sophistication, education, urban fabric, and so many other things. As for the mountains they are hideous and brown for months before the seasonal rains come through

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
OMG--don't tell me you're serious! (New Orleans/Charlotte/Raleigh/Richmond/Newark/Hampton Roads/Buffalo OVER Denver/Cincinnati/ Portland/Tampa/Kansas City, etc.) LOL...
The cities you mentioned on in tier 5. Didn't mean to leave those out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.