Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Its not in the U.S., but if you're driving from Maine to Chicago, I'd suggest that you spend a day or two in either Quebec or Montreal on your way. Both are wonderfully diverse, picturesque, cities unlike anything in the US because of their French heritage. I thnk Quebec is a bit more "old-world" and Montreal a bit more cosmopolitan, but either would be inbteresting to see if you haven't been before.
From there, go south to Plattsburgh NY and take Route 3 west from there. You would go through the Adirondacks, by the 1000 Islands and Lake Ontario. You can also stop by Niagara Falls and Historic Lewiston and Youngstown in NY. In between, a stop in Oswego, Geneva or Canandaigua wouldn't hurt either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMountainMan View Post
Anybody have any advice on what might be the most scenic area of Utah?
After leaving LA, suggest you head for Bryce and Zion in southwest Utah as another poster said. From there, dip down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then through Monument Valley onto Moab, Utah. There are several beautiful parks in that area. From there, you could cross over to Mesa Verde in Colorado, move onto Santa Fe then make your way back east.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

252 posts, read 735,739 times
Here's a few suggestions...

From Mount Katahdin, Maine, I would
cross over into Canada to Quebec City...it's a unique, beautiful city.

Head west to Montreal, check out vieux (old) Montreal area, very nice.
As other poster suggested, head south to Plattsburgh,NY.

Go west on rt 3, check out Saranac Lake and Lake Placid,
enjoy the amazing scenery of the Adirondack Mtns.
Continue west and check out 1000 Islands area (Boldt Castle, etc)

From 1000 Islands you can either cross into Canada and head west on HWY 401 to Toronto,
or head south on I-81 to Syracuse,NY then west on I-90 to Buffalo/Niagara.

Either way, definitely check out Niagara Falls area on both sides of the border.
Fort Niagara,NY Fort George,ON Niagara on the Lake,ON

Continue west either on I-90 (or via HWY 401 to Detroit then west on
I-94).

From Chicago continue west on I-90.

Just west of Kadoka, South Dakota, exit 131, turn off I-90
to check out the Badlands. Amazing drive, do not miss it!!

At Rapid City,SD head south into the Black Hills.
Another must see is Mount Rushmore.

Near Deadwood,SD turn back onto I-90 head west thru Wyoming.
As an option you can make detour north to see "Devil's Tower"
I did, it was OK, but you could skip it to save time.

Near Sheridan,WY head west on rt 14 to Yellowstone, a definite must see is "Old Faithful Geyser".

North on rt 191 to I-90 at Bozeman,MT , then north on I-15, west on rt 2 to Glacier.

IMO Glacier National Park is amazing, if you can, I would cross over to
Alberta at Chief Mountain then take the tour boat from Waterton Lakes
National Park into Glacier National Park, if possible, stay at the Prince of Wales Hotel (awesome views).
Head west thru Glacier on "Going to the Sun" hwy
....all I can say is wow, can't describe it, you just have to experience it.

From Glacier head south on hwy 93 to I-90 at Missoula,MT

Depending on if you want to check out Seattle or Portland (or not)
Either keep west on I-90 or south on hwy 93.

From Los Angeles I would stop by Las Vegas via I-15 then east to
St.George,Utah.

Like others mentioned, Zion is a must, from there head south into Arizona to Grand Canyon North Rim.
Next, north on rt 89, Page,AZ a good place to stay for the night.

From Page,AZ, east to Monument Valley, one the most awesome places I've ever seen, a definite must see

Continue east, check out "Four Corners" monument, and "Shiprock".

I personally recomend seeing Taos, Taos Pueblo, and Santa Fe.

Just past Santa Fe, cut down to I-40 via rt 285.

As mentioned before, don't miss eating at "Big Texan Steak Ranch" Amarillo,TX.

Just south of Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon State Park, also worth checking out.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,974 times
Default Put Southwestern SD and Eastern Wyoming on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
Just west of Kadoka, South Dakota, exit 131, turn off I-90
to check out the Badlands. Amazing drive, do not miss it!!

At Rapid City,SD head south into the Black Hills.
Another must see is Mount Rushmore.

Near Deadwood,SD turn back onto I-90 head west thru Wyoming.
As an option you can make detour north to see "Devil's Tower"
I did, it was OK, but you could skip it to save time.
Yes! Ditto! The southwestern corner of South Dakota has an amazing amount of stuff to see in (for the scale of driving you're doing) a very compact area.
The quote above mentioned Devil's Tower - that's a must if you've seen Close Encounters. If you don't want to see it, you could swing a little farther south in eastern Wyoming and see Register Cliff (Register Cliff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Guernsey State Park (Guernsey State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If you're a history buff - or if you ignored it when you were in school and want to get inspired - these are terrific, and moving, artifacts of the Oregon Trail.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM

279 posts, read 482,248 times
Thanks everyone for your great ideas, I've never even heard of some of these places, especially the one's in Utah and New Mexico. I will have to include some of these places in my travels, thanks again! And keep the ideas coming.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Nm is awesome a few more ideas for you. The oregon coast is awesome, I recommend some time coming down it although its a good ways from Crater lake. I recommend Arches National Park in northern Utah as well as monument valley in southern Utah if you can handle that much time in Utah. An interesting place most do not see is on the Arizona/NM border - Canyon De Chelles. I wouldnt miss the Olympics in Washington State either, Seattle is a nice city and has mountain views on a clear day as does Portland. Dont miss Taos NM or Sante Fe NM. Sedona in Arizona is awesome too and of course the grand canyon but if you go a southern route along I10 go see White Sands in NM as well as Big Bend Country in Tx... somem very unique land out this way. Also be sure to see the Tetons, as awesome as Glacier and Yellowstone to me.

I am sure wishing I had this trip planned again myself. Some awesome sights in the USA.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I know this isn't on your route, but I-70 through Colorado is the most scenic way to cross the Rockies, IMO. Another advantage is that there are lots of services (relatively speaking, of course) along that route. Glenwood Canyon is awesome, and Glenwood Springs is a neat little town with lots of services.

You are going to have to go across some prairie on the way home, but that's enjoyable, too, IMO.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
I agree with the posters suggesting a route thru Canada from Maine to Chicago. I prefer the north shore of Lake Ontario. Niagara Falls would be a little out of your way on that route, but you'd go thru Toronto, a great city to explore. Then head west across southern Ontario, cross back into the US at Detroit, and it's a straight shot to Chicago.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
When in route to Chicago I would suggest a trip up the western side of Michigan to Sleeping bear dunes area, then take the ferry acrost Lake Michigan to Wisconsin and head for Chicago. You dont want to miss the scenery around Lake Michigan, and you will miss one of the best parts of the midwest if you skip Mi and Wi. I also agree with previous posters about Glennwood Springs Co. Neat place. Other nice places out west are Flagstaff and Sante Fe.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM

279 posts, read 482,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When in route to Chicago I would suggest a trip up the western side of Michigan to Sleeping bear dunes area, then take the ferry acrost Lake Michigan to Wisconsin and head for Chicago. You dont want to miss the scenery around Lake Michigan, and you will miss one of the best parts of the midwest if you skip Mi and Wi. I also agree with previous posters about Glennwood Springs Co. Neat place. Other nice places out west are Flagstaff and Sante Fe.
Yea I remember sleeping bear dunes was announced on good mourning america as the most beautiful place in America. I may have to stop by, thanks for reminding me about that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.