Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Why Young Americans Are Driving So Much Less Than Their Parents - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
Shows that younger generations are less interested in having the car dominated lifestyle of previous generations. They also prefer more established, walkable, and neighborhoods with diverse housing options. Does this spell the end of the car-dominated suburbs and exurbs or will the younger generation move to the suburbs once kids are brought into the decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Well, I am definitely part of the "older" generation and even I despise the worship of cars as demigods. It pains me to see how we have sacrificed so much of our beautiful land to the almighty car. We have destroyed our cities because we thought cars were more important than people. We rip up precious farm land so that we can build endless urban sprawl that can only exist in unison with more and more roads, places that lack any and all access to shops/stores unless you take a car. We have created neighborhoods which allow us to never know our neighbors - because we never encounter them on the street to chat. All we do is wave at them as we pass each other in our cars.

I hate this lifestyle. I think it is idiotic and runs counter to just about anything that creates a sense of community. I find that it is simply not sustainable.

I live accordingly - there are entire weeks when I don't pull my car out of the garage. I have no need for it because I chose to live in a community that provides alternative modes of transportation. I see my neighbors out there doing the same thing that I do. We stop and talk - and we know each other well because of it.

To me, the car as a status symbol has long lost its appeal. To me, it is no more than one mode of transportation - a means to get me from point A to point B if doing so by other means is impractical. Thus, I don't care about all the newest features, all the bells and whistles. I need my car to be functional - and that's all.

If I, as part of the older generation, feel this way, I can only imagine what younger generations must feel. And I know from meeting them on the street, that they feel pretty much the same way. I have no idea what made them look at their surroundings with a questioning and critical eye. I don't know what made them conclude that the way things are these days is simply not sustainable nor a great way to live. I do know that I am glad to see that change is afoot.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
If I, as part of the older generation, feel this way, I can only imagine what younger generations must feel.
I can tell you that I do not want to be like my mom sitting in traffic instead of spending time with me and my sister. I have also chose to live in a community where I can walk to destinations and talk to my neighbors. My car leaves my driveway maybe once or twice a month.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
I hear you. I find it utterly astounding that people think sitting in traffic for hours is "normal." But many do. Still, I haven't met a single person who has proclaimed how much he/she loves being stuck in traffic. Instead of trying to change something, it seems many are still of the mindset that we need more and more roads - as though that strategy has ever led to any permanent improvement.

Alas, young minds will be the next at the helm and hopefully, they will be able to apply what they have learned and create better and more livable cities.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Alas, young minds will be the next at the helm and hopefully, they will be able to apply what they have learned and create better and more livable cities.
We can only hope, but there are many uneducated people from the younger generation that still think like their parents and think the only solution to congestion is more roads. Hoepfully the TIA will be passed and reliable transit can reach into the suburbs and demonstrate how easy mass transit can be.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
that makes sense they live at home (free) and gas is 4.25 a gallon and they dont work.
46% of americans work FTE. dad is carrying the show funny he scores all time high for zero respect.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I think some people cherish their time in the car as it's the only time have to themselves. It's the only time they get to escape from screaming kids, nagging spouses, etc. It's pathetic, but I think that's reality far more than people ae willing to admit.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I think some people cherish their time in the car as it's the only time have to themselves. It's the only time they get to escape from screaming kids, nagging spouses, etc. It's pathetic, but I think that's reality far more than people ae willing to admit.
There is nothing wrong with wanting time to yourself. I use my time on the train to read a book, newspaper, or listen to music. We all need time to recharge the batteries.
Quote:
that makes sense they live at home (free) and gas is 4.25 a gallon and they dont work.
46% of americans work FTE. dad is carrying the show funny he scores all time high for zero respect.
WTF are you talking about?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Public schooling for kids is usually a 15 year affair for many families (assuming 2 kids, 3 years apart). May be people will live in the suburbs for about 10-15 years of their lives, and rest can be in denser areas.

That is what I am planning. I usually think people with kids should be cut some slack -- larger carbon footprint. Once my kids are in college, I dont see any need for living in the suburbs.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
May be people will live in the suburbs for about 10-15 years of their lives, and rest can be in denser areas.
With the difficulty of selling homes now, that may not be a plausible plan. Suburban home prices may not recover as quickly as established, walkable, urban homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.