Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,988 times

Advertisements

Once again, you write a startling well written response. I didn't mean everybody when I said 'we all', as I know there are many many racists in this world, and apparently one on this thread, I just meant most people on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
See I don't think this is the case. You and I, and perhaps most of the people on this thread, do, to be sure.

But not everyone feels this way. Many people, even those with substantial financial resources, don't want individuals of other races to live in their neighborhoods. Certainly, this sort of thinking occurs in individuals of all races, but white people have historically been one of the only groups with the means and resources to act on it.

I would of course never blame any individual white person for living in an un-diverse neighborhood. However, I would recognize that most all-white suburbs were built and planned as a response to white flight in the mid-20th century, and that this large scale movement of white people from cities has major implications for racial inequality, urban poverty, and segregation.

It is REALLY important to recognize the historical basis of these processes. Because they're not done. The consequences are still being felt today. Obviously, diverse neighborhoods will not be the panacea ending racial inequality, but it can help to start the amelioration process based on inclusion rather than exclusion.
I think you are repeatedly making excellent points. But white flight to the suburbs is a very specific example. There are many non-diverse communities that are pretty far removed from that specific pattern. Rural areas and small towns, in particular. I realize that most of the population lives in urban areas, but there are many more communities (albeit with very small populations in comparison) that were never involved in that game, so to speak. And the non-diversity in those communities might be a little more innocent than in suburbs that were built on white flight.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Once again, you write a startling well written response. I didn't mean everybody when I said 'we all', as I know there are many many racists in this world, and apparently one on this thread, I just meant most people on this site.
Thanks. I know you didn't mean everybody in the world, of course. I just wanted to clarify that plenty of people who don't value diversity can have an impact on the current character of our cities.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think you are repeatedly making excellent points. But white flight to the suburbs is a very specific example. There are many non-diverse communities that are pretty far removed from that specific pattern. Rural areas and small towns, in particular. I realize that most of the population lives in urban areas, but there are many more communities (albeit with very small populations in comparison) that were never involved in that game, so to speak. And the non-diversity in those communities might be a little more innocent than in suburbs that were built on white flight.
You're absolutely right that there are a few places that are mostly white simply by chance. Many small towns in Northern New England or the great plains are mostly white people and may have no history of exclusion.

But areas that lack diversity are overwhelming the result of white flight, overt exclusion, segregation, and racial income inequality, and we should be careful not to ignore the impact of these processes on areas with little diversity.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:04 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
It really hard to make assumptions based on a casual observation of a place. I have been in areas that are 99.9% white and have concluded that this would be a great place for a minority person to live. Diversity is sometimes defined as something a place can have or an idea that people believe in.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 PM

459 posts, read 724,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
^^
This is very true. One of the brilliant things about America is that our culture and national identity is always evolving without us falling apart. Unlike some nations we can respect our history without becoming embalmed in it.
No, you'll find out sometime that we as a nation get swept up with any majority and one day our history will be so foreign to newcomers that they won't tell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.