Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Young hipsters can be annoying, but you know what's even more annoying--people constantly whining about hipsters. Also about 50 percent of what people consider hipsters are just yuppies these days--and people also throw in other more established older countercultures like punks or hippies into the hipster basket as well. Literally in every city with hipsters in the United States you can drive 20 minutes away from a hipster neighborhood and never see a hipster. I wish I could say the same for getting away from rednecks, little wannabe gangsters, and douchebag suburbanites which seem to claim a much greater share of real estate throughout the entire country.

They are a very concentrated population in a certain neighborhood in certain cities or college towns. San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, New York, and Los Angeles have a lot of hipsters but it's not as if you travel from one end of town to the next you are going to see nothing but hipsters.

For what city has the least hipsters--just go to Jacksonville, Florida or Bakersfield, California or Grand Rapids, Michigan or somewhere like that. You'll be hard pressed to find hipsters almost anywhere in those locations.
Grand Rapids has a few hipsters. There's a little neighborhood called Eastown where they hang out. You can often find them eating a world famous Yesterdog at the restaurant of the same name. http://yesterdog.com/history.html

But yeah, most people in Grand Rapids are too grounded in reality to waste time with the hipster thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
The Youngstown, Ohio area did not appear to me to have many people who could be described as "hipsters."

Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Young hipsters can be annoying, but you know what's even more annoying--people constantly whining about hipsters.

I wish I could say the same for getting away from rednecks, little wannabe gangsters, and douchebag suburbanites which seem to claim a much greater share of real estate throughout the entire country.

For what city has the least hipsters--just go to Jacksonville, Florida
Having lived in cities where intelligent educated people could live in newer apartment complexes upon finishing college and not subscribe to any "look" or category, I find hipsters annoying but its because of their disdainful attitude toward anyone who isn't on their frequency. Even in buying coffee in mountain town enclaves like Nevada City/Grass Valley, CA, their alternating treatment of customers in line contributes to people not liking them. I'll just point it out. Ditto for the folks who staff the coffee area at Portland's Powell Books.

What makes suburbanites douche bags, other than living in the suburbs? Some people like the suburbs because the housing stock is newer and doesn't have the mustiness and frumpiness prevalent in in-town SEA and PDX, not to mention being overpriced.

Correct, Jacksonville FL wasn't mentioned. While not a mecca of culture, hip or otherwise, its many beaches are wonderful... and there are no stocking caps anywhere to be found.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
FGrand Rapids, Michigan or somewhere like that. You'll be hard pressed to find hipsters almost anywhere in those locations.

apparently you've never been to grand rapids michigan.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM

343 posts, read 932,722 times
As others have mentioned already, the term 'Hipster' has rapidly lost any meaning as a true subculture, simply because the term is used to comprise a large number of very disparate urban subcultures. Subcultures that have no historical relationship but that have been brought together through shared urban residence have been arbitrarily amalgamated into the catch-all term Hipster, which thus begins to lose any real distinction as a subculture or social group.

Certainly, we can probably all identify some supposed characteristics of hipsters, indie music, skinny jeans, beards, unusual apparel, fixed-gear bicycles, etc. But you'd be pretty hard pressed to find all that many people who completely embody all these characteristics. Conversely, most everyone who lives in a big city does some of these things. But that's precisely why the term has become so popular and at the same time so bland and meaningless. Everybody can potentially be made fun of for being a hipster, but no one thinks they're a hipster because there is another hipster who does things they don't do.

I do several 'hipster' things. Does that make me a hipster? Perhaps, but it doesn't really mean anything. Because these are all just things that it's very easy to do in a big city. Mark my words. Hipster things are here to stay. Good coffee, great beer, music venues, and vintage clothing will not disappear. But hopefully the term will die out soon, because we're all a little bit hipster. And if you think you're not, look a little bit closer.

Finally, there may be cities with fewer of these hipster amenities, but why would you possibly want to live there?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
I do several 'hipster' things. Does that make me a hipster? Perhaps, but it doesn't really mean anything. Because these are all just things that it's very easy to do in a big city. Mark my words. Hipster things are here to stay. Good coffee, great beer, music venues, and vintage clothing will not disappear. But hopefully the term will die out soon, because we're all a little bit hipster. And if you think you're not, look a little bit closer.
Yeah. On second thought, I am probably between 5-10% hipster myself. I love a good microbrew.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah. On second thought, I am probably between 5-10% hipster myself. I love a good microbrew.
hipsters tend to prefer Papst or Miller High Life.

Microbrewers sent the 30 years bring good quality beer to the mainstream, and along come the hipsters, and make drinking bilgewater-swillage a trend.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM

343 posts, read 932,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
hipsters tend to prefer Papst or Miller High Life.

Microbrewers sent the 30 years bring good quality beer to the mainstream, and along come the hipsters, and make drinking bilgewater-swillage a trend.
Perhaps, but I've been called a hipster countless time for liking only really strong IPAs. The term is applied to all sorts of preferences.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 42,409 times
Does it really matter? Yes, it is sort of annoying to see a group of youngsters take everything you loved from the 60's and 70's and reduce it to Urban Outfitters, overpriced coffee, and MGMT, but it doesn't have to affect the way you live your life...or where you live it. If anything, it's actually pretty hilarious to watch scrawny, underemployed white kids spend all their money on cheep, trendy cloths and ride around these hideously overpriced bikes without breaks! Annoying? Pretentious? Certainly. Much of a threat? I think not.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM

25 posts, read 38,862 times
Any City in Alabama, especially Mobile and Montgomery. I have family in Mobile & Montgomery and my girlfriend is from Birmingham. Maybe one or two pseudo Hipsters in Birmingham, they do have a good restaurant and bar scene, but ZERO in Mobile or Montgomery.

The people in these cities either look like they just left the farm, hunting camp, country club, or fraternity house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.