Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I "get" the premise of this thread.

When Sonic opened its first location in NJ, lines of cars backed up for blocks and police had to direct traffic. Is that because NJ residents are obsessed with Oklahoma?

When CiCi's Pizza opened its first location in NJ, same thing. Crazy crowds. Here in the heart of "Good Pizza Land," this fast food crap caused a frenzy. Does that mean NJ residents are obsessed with Texas?

Same happened when Five Guys started expanding here. But I don't think we're obsessed with DC.

Same happened when WaWa opened its first northern NJ store, but we're not obsessed with southeastern Pennsylvania.

I think it's just because people were curious about it (I bet 8 out of 10 NJ residents couldn't tell you where those chains originated, and I had to look most of them up). We see ads for these places on national TV, but for years they haven't been around here. When a location opens, people want to go check it out and try what they've been seeing on TV for years. I think the same would happen if an In-N-Out, Jack-in-the-Box, or some other west coast chain started an advertising blitz here and then opened a store. Initial rush fueled by curiosity, then it becomes just another part of the fast food landscape.

FWIW, the only people I know who rave about In-N-Out are native Californians who regard the place as if it's some part of their CA identity. When I travel to CA with CA-native friends, a stop at In-N-Out is required. I don't get it. IMO, it's not bad, but I can't get excited over a fast food burger. Then again, if I moved out of state, I'd probably want to stock up on NJ pizza on visits back and my CA friends would shake their heads at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
FWIW, the only people I know who rave about In-N-Out are native Californians who regard the place as if it's some part of their CA identity. When I travel to CA with CA-native friends, a stop at In-N-Out is required. I don't get it. IMO, it's not bad, but I can't get excited over a fast food burger. Then again, if I moved out of state, I'd probably want to stock up on NJ pizza on visits back and my CA friends would shake their heads at me.
FWIW, when I worked in a hotel in Santa Monica, I was frequently asked by people visiting where the nearest In-N-Out was. I'd hear guys from New York telling their coworkers, "Oh. OH. You gotta have one of these burgers. They're awesome. Legendary." In-N-Out is a Californian cultural institution and it's not just native Californians who want to go there.

I'm a vegetarian so I can't really get excited one way or another, but I see why people would. I will say, their grilled cheese is pretty awesome for unhealthy fast food...

I also don't think anyone would think it was weird of you to want to stock up on pizza, or any foodstuff from home, on your trips back. It's pretty normal. I mean, when I head back to Boston, first night, I always go to Sicilia's near Symphony Hall, and I have to hit up Angelo's and HiFi and a few other places out of habit. When friends or girlfriends have gone with me, they've always been down.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Only in America are we getting up to 200 posts fighting about.....fast food
... well, I'm sure that the fact that California is an integral part of the discussion has something to do with it...

Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:

When Sonic opened its first location in NJ, lines of cars backed up for blocks and police had to direct traffic. Is that because NJ residents are obsessed with Oklahoma?

When CiCi's Pizza opened its first location in NJ, same thing. Crazy crowds. Here in the heart of "Good Pizza Land," this fast food crap caused a frenzy. Does that mean NJ residents are obsessed with Texas?

Same happened when Five Guys started expanding here. But I don't think we're obsessed with DC.

Same happened when WaWa opened its first northern NJ store, but we're not obsessed with southeastern Pennsylvania.

I think it's just because people were curious about it (I bet 8 out of 10 NJ residents couldn't tell you where those chains originated, and I had to look most of them up). We see ads for these places on national TV, but for years they haven't been around here. When a location opens, people want to go check it out and try what they've been seeing on TV for years. I think the same would happen if an In-N-Out, Jack-in-the-Box, or some other west coast chain started an advertising blitz here and then opened a store. Initial rush fueled by curiosity, then it becomes just another part of the fast food landscape.

There isn't the same fanaticism surrounding any of those places. Of course, when anywhere new comes to town, it can be a rat race to see who gets there first.

Also, those places you mentioned, are not California.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 15,310 times
Quote:
I think the premise is a very successful attempt at a massive troll. The in-n-out thing is just a pretext - it comes down to a big generalization of everyone in America as California-obsessed... either openly or "in the closet". I don't give a rip about that one way or another, I just want to point out that everyone is being trolled

I like In-n-out. Pretty good food (though like most fresher food it needs to be eaten soon after cooked). If you don't like the fries, try them "well-done" - the default is a little soft for my taste unless I eat them all right away when they're still hot. You can also get them even softer, if that's your thing. I also order my burger "KM instead" ... no 1000 island sauce, ketchup and mustard instead.

But again. Trolled

Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You have several anti-California threads here. Whether it be regarding the people, the culture, the politics, the possibility of earthquakes...the list goes on and on.
Better add business to that list.

California is dead last as the best state to do business in/job creation for the eighth consecutive year. I just read it today.

CEO Survey: Texas Under Rick Perry Remains Best State for Business

Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbrad View Post
I think the premise is a very successful attempt at a massive troll. The in-n-out thing is just a pretext - it comes down to a big generalization of everyone in America as California-obsessed... either openly or "in the closet". I don't give a rip about that one way or another, I just want to point out that everyone is being trolled

I like In-n-out. Pretty good food (though like most fresher food it needs to be eaten soon after cooked). If you don't like the fries, try them "well-done" - the default is a little soft for my taste unless I eat them all right away when they're still hot. You can also get them even softer, if that's your thing. I also order my burger "KM instead" ... no 1000 island sauce, ketchup and mustard instead.

But again. Trolled
It's just plain old vaudeville to me.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
One thing I really like about In-N-Out beside their fresh made to order food is that they treat their employees really well overall. I worked their in high school and was getting paid $10/hr when I left in 2001, which is pretty good back then for a teenager in the service industry. My store manager made $120K and all the managers made $45-75K. They pay really well overall for their industry. It's too bad other companies in the service industry don't pay as decent wages.
This is exactly what I was going to say re: employees. I don't get the hype over the burgers, they're like Five Guys...in other words, meh. But I would go there b/c of how they well they pay their workers.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Ok, lets be honest here. I don't like California that much either, but cut the Californians some slack in this thread: the OP is from Iowa and is California dreaming, or trolling all of you guys so you post anti-California comments.

My life is too busy to think about a place 3000 miles away. Life is too short.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Ok, lets be honest here. I don't like California that much either, but cut the Californians some slack in this thread: the OP is from Iowa and is California dreaming, or trolling all of you guys so you post anti-California comments.

My life is too busy to think about a place 3000 miles away. Life is too short.
Ok, who hacked Huge Foodie's user account?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.