Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I saw exactly what you wrote. And then I asked you where you got your facts from. Sooo...where do your "facts" come from?
Reread it again. Did I say all? No. Did I say most? No. I actually agreed with the person saying they do. Or did you miss that part that are the first two words of the post. My comment still stands even after your link. Two more DC posters have said the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Reread it again. Did I say all? No. Did I say most? No. I actually agreed with the person saying they do. Or did you miss that part that are the first two words of the post. My comment still stands even after your link. Two more DC posters have said the same thing.
You said that the "vast majority" of blacks in PG County are native to the region, right? Is this assertion based on Census data?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You said that the "vast majority" of blacks in PG County are native to the region, right? Is this assertion based on Census data?
No. Based on my perspective through recent migrations occurring right now.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. Based on my perspective through recent migrations occurring right now.
The interesting thing is that PG County has not had a "native" Chief Executive in nearly 40 years (and he was white). Rushern Baker is from Georgia. Jack Johnson is from South Carolina.

Based on the Census numbers, I doubt a majority of PG County's black population is "native" (excluding school age children obviously). The County has had too much growth since 1970 and DC only has so many blacks that could contribute towards that growth.

Philly, on the other hand, is a city where the vast majority of blacks are native to the area. Between 1970 and 1990, PA only added about 73,000 blacks (compared to 500,000 for MD, which them added about another 500,000 between 1990 and 2010).

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0056/tab53.pdf

Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,636 times
I was born and raised in New Orleans and spent some years in Baton Rouge (attended LSU and held a couple jobs after graduating). The IT market in the area was very limited and was one of my reasons for moving to the DC area. The other reason was, after living in Louisiana my whole life, I just got tired of the pace of life there and needed something different. I found a job in DC and lived there for a couple months before moving to PG county where I am currently. I don't regret the move at all.

When living in BR, I noticed that blacks there weren't as progressive and didn't have as much of that go-getter mentality as blacks in NO. I just attribute it to BR still having more a rural, laid-back feel to it compared to NO. And now having been in the DC area for a few years, I see that blacks here are more progressive than blacks in NO, just judging by the number of black owned businesses, black after-work/weekend activities, and wealthy and well-informed individuals that I've come across.

Since my fam is still in NO, I visit often, but when I'm not there I definitely miss the people (friendlier) and food. That's something the DC area can't beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.