Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The "north" vs "south" arguments are somewhat amusing considering all countries in Europe are at a more northerly latitude compared to the US. I always found it fascinating that European settlement patterns trended so much further south in latitude compared to their native homelands.
I believe it has to do with currents and winds, going on a straight path across the Atlantic you would be fighting the wind the entire way, so they tended to go towards the south.

It is interesting though, Washington, DC. is at the southern part of Portugal if you were to follow Longitude lines all the way over the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Cleveland
South
Wow interesting- I consider Cleveland north and I'm in NY

Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 PM

I think it is more of a culture thing than the actual location... For example I don't think of Miami people as southerners bc they act very much like northerners and they don't have a twang like most southerners do.

By the way... New York- and it's north

Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I take quite a few day trips to Morgantown and have a really hard time calling it Southern. More like Northern Appalachia... not much different than Southern PA a few miles away. In my opinion, one has to travel South of Clarksburg to start feeling like he/she is in the South in WV.
I agree with you, except I'd put the line around Weston. There's nothing Southern about northern West Virginia.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Albuquerque, New Mexico -North
Seriously? That's def south

Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
Long Island, New York
North
Woot woot!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Seriously? That's def south
... "def south"? We are talking like junior high schoolers now?

Anyway, I'd say New Mexico is western. I wouldn't call it "southern".

Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
One thing? Missouri harvests a lot of corn. As do Iowa, and Illinois, and Minnesota, and Wisconsin..

Unlike you, I have also lived in both the Midwest and the Northeast, and going from one to the other didn't require much of a adjustment at all. I could go from Wisconsin to Maine to Vermont to Illinois to upstate NY, and I would have no trouble talking about dairy farming, or hockey, or shoveling snow, or the Catholic Church, or Blue state politics, or enjoying freshwater lakes, etc, etc,etc. I don't particulary care what you decide about Missouri--just don't tell me about some wide chiasm between Midwest and Northeast, because in quite a few cases, it doesn't exist.
Well I get your point, but ppl in places like NYC don't really dairy farm lol. There are things more applicable to the Midwest than to the northeast. Upstate ny yeah you'd prob find dairy farmers but certain regions grow things other regions don't... Even things like weddings are so different. Ny metro and nj and Boston do big fancy weddings... Most other parts of the country can just do a backyard BBQ wedding and it's great. I think the Midwest and northeast have more differences than they do similarities.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I consider anything north of Atlanta as up north.
Interesting I consider north Carolina the border of where the south begins- yes to me VA is northern. I also think Miami, even though geographically southern, has culture and people similar to the north. Same as Los Angeles- I don't think of them as southerners.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
Northern Indiana.... the North

Anything below Indy is the South (different terrain, accents, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.