Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indianapolis, Indiana

MIDWEST

north/south..............north I guess
South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
South.
I'm sorry, but I will have to respectfully disagree here. Indianapolis is a stark contrast to Louisville...it is Midwestern in almost every sense of the word..culturally, historically, architecturally, and linguistically.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
South.
Seriously?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM

350 posts, read 740,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
While i agree that's often the stereotype of the Midwest, the Midwest has its mountainous regions...the Ozarks and the Porcupines for starters. In any case, West Virginia's primary reason for not being the Midwest is its culture, cuisine, and dialect...West Virginia has the most in common with Kentucky with Virginia.
I would agree with that too and on the flip side that refutes the previous poster's point that because there are parts of WV that look like the stereotypical Midwest that those parts of WV are Midwestern. I guess I haven't traveled enough in NW WV, but the parts of WV I've been in haven't felt Midwestern in culture, cuisine, or dialect.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
I feel like this North - South boundary is more of an Eastern thing. I think people West of Texas are much more similar to each other in culture/accents and stuff like that. The North and South in the Eastern part of the US are like two different worlds!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I would agree with that too and on the flip side that refutes the previous poster's point that because there are parts of WV that look like the stereotypical Midwest that those parts of WV are Midwestern. I guess I haven't traveled enough in NW WV, but the parts of WV I've been in haven't felt Midwestern in culture, cuisine, or dialect.
Here's my take on WV...anything along and north of a line from Parkersburg to Clarksburg, basically along U.S. Highway 50, is not the south. Morgantown and Wheeling are definitely Northeastern...Charleston and Huntington on the other hand have more in common with Richmond, Louisville, and Lexington.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I feel like this North - South boundary is more of an Eastern thing. I think people West of Texas are much more similar to each other in culture/accents and stuff like that. The North and South in the Eastern part of the US are like two different worlds!
Very good observation. North/South isn't nearly as significant in the West because the cultural divide isn't nearly as sharp. The West is more defined by climate and geography than it is by its inhabitants.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Here's MY opinion of Kentucky divided by Southerness. Of course you could probably have 100 different versions of this map if you asked 99 other people

Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I agree. I think that the dividing line is Washington, DC in the east, as I consider VA southern and MD northern.

I define the north's boundaries by taking the entire eastern seaboard above Washington DC, basically anything east of Cleveland and north of Central WV.

The south's boundaries include every state in the Confederacy except Texas - there the South only covers everything east of the Houston and DFW metros.

All the rest of the country is another region or doesn't really care.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Just as a point of reference, the central latitude of the contiguous United States is 39 degrees 50 minutes. In WV, if you draw a line from Martinsburg to Parkersburg that is about it, everything south of that line is in the southern half of the United States. Not that everything south of that line would be "southern". The Ohio River also plays an important part culturally. All of Virginia is south of the 39.50 latitude. The geographical center of WV is around Sutton, Braxton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.