Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times

Advertisements

The background to all the theories is the huge change society experienced after the sixties. By 1970 people from all walks of life in America were re-examining everything before them, from the inner city to rural areas. In the early seventies there was a palpable feeling in the minds of many that revolution was around the corner or at least that many traditions were dead. People were pulling crime because they were economically disadvantaged, people were pulling crimes because they wanted to see what happened when they did. I've talked to many people who were young back then and I get a sense that crime prevalent enough that many thought,"why not?" and pulled some crime themselves. It was a wild time and that intensity has become crazy or at least cliche to most young people now.

Another big, big difference is media/entertainment that we have now, like what we're doing now. When I was a delinquent high school kid in the early nineties we had like 5 channels if you're parents didn't have cable and the internet was something for people in coffee shops with lots of patience. We spent a lot of time walking/driving around looking for things to do, often getting in trouble. Boredom lead to stealing, fighting, graffiti, or whatever. It seems like a lot of teenagers now spend their friday nights in front of screens all night. There's plenty of diversion for people now. You play Grand Theft Auto and pull virtual crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Many baby boomers came of age in the 1970s, and youth generally committ most of the violent crime; baby boomers ( and I'm one of them) are much more sedate now--aging tends to do that to people..
True, but crime peaked in the 80's and 90's, when Gen X'ers came of age.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Meaning that the past decade was'nt??

2000-2010: A Decade of Tragedy - YouTube
Hard to watch. Kid sounds like he's 2 breaths short of a heart attack and has nasal congestion.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 PM

196 posts, read 658,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im not going to try to argue with the stats, but it just doesnt seem things were actually worse back then. Back then more people seemed to be on the level, more people worked and things at least seemed safer. Its hard to believe that todays era of ghetto culture, hip hop, meth/drugs and culture of corruption could be safer than 3o years ago. Very difficult to believe really. Society seems sicker than ever, and given a choice id hop a time machine back to 1980 without a thought if it were possible. Look at modern Detroit for example, HOW could it be safer today than 30 years ago. Look at all the child killings, sex criminals, serial killers. Look at the gang wars, I just dont know how today could possibly be safer.
That's because you've made the mistake of listening to the media.

It's their job to pretend the world is always ending.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
well I think the main reason for all of this violence which occurred was because their were less jobs been given at that time which soon led to business not getting enough money which made business become bankrupt and more factories etc and more workers being laid off.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Coming off the heels of the 60's, people were still, rightfully so, pis*ed off about a lot of things--the war & other things. 60's were for awakening and those years tore down the "status quo" in so many ways--change is dangerous, destabilizing. And, people react to the process of drastic change.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I personally think boredom was the reason.

How could they live without computers and cell phones?

I would not know,I'm only 31.
Can't imagine life without them

Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM

390 posts, read 940,738 times
Drugs.

This was before Ronald Reagan declared war on drugs.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Drugs.

This was before Ronald Reagan declared war on drugs.
Maybe,but that kinda ties in with boredom.

Smoke crack or go on the internet?
That is the choice our youth have now.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have been looking up crime statistics from different states and it looks like the crime was pretty low in the 60s and the shot up through the 70s and 80s and then dropped down from the 90s until now.

What would have caused the higher crime rates?
Roe vs Wade, No-Fault divorce, Federally enforced child support system, which led to the destruction of the American family.

And the war on drugs.

divorce rates shot up around the same time that crime rates shot up.

The 70's was the start of our "modern era". You can thank radical feminists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.