Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is hard because of its layout and everything doesn't lay along one main thoroughfare....

I would have to guess Penn Ave, but then Penn doesn't run through Oakland, Shadyside, South Side or Squirrel Hill very big districts within the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 04:12 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
I don't agree with Broadway being the pick for St. Louis. The lion's share of Broadway is of relatively little importance to most St. Louisans. The northern portion goes through endless trucking areas, and the southern portion has a struggling business district. Only the downtown and Soulard portions are of much significance.
My pick for St. Louis? If we're talking about the city only, it's a toss-up between Grand and Kingshighway Blvds. Grand has got the famed water towers, Grand Center and the Fox Theatre, St. Louis University, Tower Grove Park, and the Grand South Grand strip. Plus, it's the most-travelled route for Metro. Kingshighway has the historic gated West End neighborhoods, the Barnes-Jewish Complex, fabulous Forest Park and all its amenities, Tower Grove Park, and the Southtown Business District.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
More cities

Cleveland: Euclid Avenue
Los Angeles: Wilshire Boulevard
Indianapolis: North Meridian Street
Richmond: West Broad Street

Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I've never lived in any of these cities, but as a frequent visitor, my take would be:

Chicago: North Michigan Ave.
LA: Wilshire Blvd.
NOLA: Canal St
Washington: Pennsylvania Ave.
Atlanta: Peachtree St
Omaha: Dodge St
Buffalo: Main St.
Boston: Commonwealth Ave
Charleston: Meeting St
Des Moines: Walnut St.
Philadelphia: Broad St.
Milwaukee: Wisconsin Ave.

I'm having a hard time coming up with penultimate streets for these other cities I have frequented or visited: San Diego, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, St Louis, Memphis, Nashville.

I'd like to hear the locals' comments on these.
Let's not go perpetuating the error in the thread title... penultimate means "next to last."

As for Boston, I'd have to disagree about Comm Ave. It's an overwhelmingly residential street, especially the part closest to downtown. The small commercial zones near BU don't fit the typical image of a "Main Street" in part because the Green Line light rail runs down the center of the street and there are limited opportunities to cross from one side to the other.

It's hard to single out just one "Main Street" in Boston. For downtown Boston, it's probably Washington Street. For the North End, it's Hanover Street. For Beacon Hill, it's Charles Street. For Back Bay, it's either Boylston Street or Newbury Street. Then you've got Broadway in South Boston, Dot Ave in Dorchester, Centre Street in Jamaica Plain, and so on.

In Cambridge it's a little easier: I think Mass Ave is the undisputed central thoroughfare of the city. Brookline probably has two: Harvard Street and Beacon Street.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM

345 posts, read 833,386 times
Ya, KC is pretty tough. I agree that it is Main Street but only for a few miles. Ward Parkway could possibly be considered.

In the Twin Cities, I would say Hennepin in Minneapolis. Snelling or Summit in St. Paul. And as a metro, University has to be the most important.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM

209 posts, read 590,324 times
Phoenix: Central Avenue

Tucson: Broadway

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Let's not go perpetuating the error in the thread title... penultimate means "next to last."

As for Boston, I'd have to disagree about Comm Ave. It's an overwhelmingly residential street, especially the part closest to downtown. The small commercial zones near BU don't fit the typical image of a "Main Street" in part because the Green Line light rail runs down the center of the street and there are limited opportunities to cross from one side to the other.

It's hard to single out just one "Main Street" in Boston. For downtown Boston, it's probably Washington Street. For the North End, it's Hanover Street. For Beacon Hill, it's Charles Street. For Back Bay, it's either Boylston Street or Newbury Street. Then you've got Broadway in South Boston, Dot Ave in Dorchester, Centre Street in Jamaica Plain, and so on.

In Cambridge it's a little easier: I think Mass Ave is the undisputed central thoroughfare of the city. Brookline probably has two: Harvard Street and Beacon Street.
If you had to pick just one for Boston it would definitely be Beacon Street.

Wilshire Blvd sounds about right for Los Angeles.

East Bay/Oakland it would be 14th Street/International Blvd/Mission Blvd (all the same road).

Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm having a hard time coming up with penultimate streets for these other cities I have frequented or visited: San Diego, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, St Louis, Memphis, Nashville.
For Nashville it's Broadway, which later turns into West End Ave.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Penultimate means second to last (best, biggest, or other superlative)

For Albuquerque, New Mexico, I would say that Central Avenue (Rt.66) is the ultimate street and the penultimate street is Montgomery Boulevard.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If you had to pick just one for Boston it would definitely be Beacon Street.
Why's that? It doesn't have any commercial zoning until you hit Fenway, and the only significant commercial area is in Brookline. I'd be more inclined to say Boylston Street, personally, and even that's not a perfect choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.