Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:29 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Love to live in...

NC/SC/ME - anywhere with coastal and mountain access.

Wouldn't mind living in...

IN, KY, OH, MI, IL, WI, MN - I can do most of the lower and upper Midwest.

Visit but could never live...

TX, KS, anywhere on the High Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have been to all states but Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and Alaska. I would only love living in Washington state (where I do) and Oregon. I wouldn't mind living in Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada (parts), or Colorado. All of the rest are OK to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I need mountains, lakes, rivers and woods, and can't stand really hot weather, especially with humidity. Hawaii is not too hot, but the weather is boring, not enough variety.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
I could never live in Indiana or Texas. Unfortunately, I found both of those states to have substandard climates and scenery, which leads to low natural amenity indices for both states. Also, I did not find people to be nearly as friendly as they are purported to be in either state.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
This is a tough question. Some places are nice to visit and represent a contrast from the region in which I live (Midwest). I am one who believes that contrast can and does amplify appreciation. Thus, a place that I may love to visit because of the contrast with where I currently live may not seem as great after I move there and live continuously. I hate the cold of the north, but I may eventually hate the heat if I moved to the Sun Belt. Every place comes with pluses and minus and you can't really know the aggregate until you have lived there awhile. Some places in the NW I would love to live if they were more diverse.

Places I THINK I would like to live.

Tennessee
South Carolina
North Carolina
Michigan (where I originally from)

Maybe

California ( expensive)

States I would not want to live

Texas
Georgia

Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Such a snob but New York is the only state I would ever live in.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I could never live in Indiana or Texas. Unfortunately, I found both of those states to have substandard climates and scenery, which leads to low natural amenity indices for both states. Also, I did not find people to be nearly as friendly as they are purported to be in either state.
Texas is so big, it actually has a lot to look at. You just have to be willing to drive a loooooong way to see it.

I think I’d like to live in Chicagoland, it’s a tremendous city, though Illinois itself is a lot of meh.
I think i’d like TN, FL, or any of the desert states. I am most content in a desert setting. I might consider NH as well.

I like to visit WV (simply gorgeous), CA (my native state), OH (kinda interesting folks here, it’s grown on me), and CO.

Where would I never live? CA (as much as I get homesick, I can’t justify living there), and most of the Northeast, unfortunate since I’m likely to move to western NY in the next few years. I think I’m ready to avoid much of the South, though there’s a few pockets I’d make an exception for.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Love to live in: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Washington, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina

Wouldnt Mind Living In: California, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island

Visit But Never Live: Florida, South Carolina, Oregon, Arizona

Old 08-05-2019, 04:45 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Yes
CA, Hawaii, NM, Georgia, NC, SC, Washington, Oregon

Might be able to deal with
Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Texas (big enough to have something for everyone), Florida (yes, I'd do it)

No, no never but would visit
Louisiana, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Maryland, New York and all NE and Midwest states including Illinois and Ohio

Not interested in everywhere else but in most cases would not turn down passing through.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:06 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Would love to live in
California (home state)
Florida

Curious about, need more intel
Hawaii

Could live in (temporarily)
New York
New Jersey (current state)
Colorado
Texas
Washington
Oregon

Never live
Everywhere else
Made a couple edits, I could prob do WA and OR too.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
States I would visit:
Any. Visiting new places is always exciting to me.

States I would love to live in:
- Massachusetts (lived here my whole life, and it's my home).
- New Hampshire (been there many times, love it)
- Maine (same as New Hampshire)
- Hawaii (always interested in this state)
- Tennessee (new on my radar after some research. Nashville particularly seems nice)
- Virginia (been there, was very lovely)
- Texas (seems interesting)
- Florida (have been there about half a dozen times, I love it. Despite humidity and hurricanes I would give it a chance)

States I think I could try to live in:
- Pennsylvania (have been there, loved Gettysburg)
- New York (have been there, NYC is always fun to visit, but to live would be outside the city - commutable by train)
- Rhode Island (want to visit there... I know it's right next door - summer bucket list this summer.. But congestion of traffic would probably turn me off)
- South Carolina (always had an interest in this state)
- Alabama (same as South Carolina)

States I could not live in: (no offense to anyone who lives in these states, just my opinions).
- Georgia (Atlanta and the state generally never interested me)
- Mississippi (I feel like there is not much to do there)
- Alaska (looks beautiful, but the prolonged darkness would depress me)
- Illinois (Chicago and the state never interested me)
- New Jersey (being from Boston, I'm not a fan of congestion of traffic, why would I move to another state with more congestion, at least Rhode Island would still be close to all my family).
- Most interior states would be tough to not live near a coast, since I'm used to it.

But like I said, would gladly visit each and every one of our 50 states.
You have lived in MA your whole life and never been to RI?" Seriously? Give it a shot, it is so close you can almost spit on it from the south suburbs of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.