Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 19,903 times

Advertisements

When race comes up it is usually Black vs White in my experience or White vs Latino, in some areas it is Black vs Latino. Those three groups have their problems and their tensions. Studies and news report say that Black and Hispanic people face a lot of the racism from law enforcement and such.

What about the Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Middle Eastern people, and everyone that isn't Black, White, or Latino?

How is life like for them in terms of assimilating and getting along with everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,222,348 times
Quote:
Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Middle Eastern people
Chinese, Koreans Japanese, and all east asians ( not philipeans) are considered under East Asian in the census and we consider them asians. Indians are under Asian Indian as of 2010. Middle eastern is Asian and Sub group- West Asian. Although they are also considered white.

And i go under Asian Indian in the census and Indian in regular life. People from neigbouring countries of India are also considered Indian (not like they care though).

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
It's the US Government and the media enabling the tension. That's what they do - keep the division among the races going.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
You occasionally here about the issues the Hmong have had in this country. That Clint Eastwood movie Gran Torino dealt with it. The Joyluck Club dealt with Chinese-American issues, but specifically female Chinese-Americans. Hispanic and Black populations are a good deal bigger than Asian ones though. Asians are around 4.4% as I recall, while the other two groups are more like 13%.

There's this new TV series called Longmire which seems to be dealing, a little, with American Indian issues. This is somewhat rarer because a great deal of our American Indian population does not live in the major metro-areas of the coastal states, which is kind of who gets paid attention to in the media. (Media coverage of the recession focused on the Boston-Washington corridor, and California, more than any place according to a study I read from the Pew Foundation) Basically think of who is in LA, Chicago, and Boston-Washington megalopolis and you'll get some idea what gets attention. (Although I will admit that even when you consider that Koreans and non-Mexican Hispanics are maybe under-discussed)

Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It's the US Government and the media enabling the tension. That's what they do - keep the division among the races going.
I agree. These categories are all culturally created divisions.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDozens View Post
When race comes up it is usually Black vs White in my experience or White vs Latino, in some areas it is Black vs Latino. Those three groups have their problems and their tensions. Studies and news report say that Black and Hispanic people face a lot of the racism from law enforcement and such.

What about the Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Middle Eastern people, and everyone that isn't Black, White, or Latino?

How is life like for them in terms of assimilating and getting along with everyone?
Asian Indians are now very populous in the northern NJ area and seem to assimilate well. They make "good" immigrants in that they tend to come here with professions, especially engineering or medical, or open businesses (the term "Indian convenience store" is considered redundant). They've definitely faced some prejudice and in a few cases, outright violence, but for the most part, Indians seem to be doing well here.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I'm Indian American. I consider myself to be American. Even though India is part of Asia, most Americans tend to think of "Asian" as being Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. So, Indians don't really fall under the public perception of "Asian" here. But it doesn't matter to me personally, as I have friends and acquaintances of all different backgrounds in the D.C. area and elsewhere.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-17-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Everyone is getting along well up here. the locals are accepting of the immigrant here, we mostly have people from SE asia, somalia, india, mexico and everyone gets well just fine. we don't care about your race or religion, your human and we accept you. most of the country is actually like this, problem is people read about racist discrimination in some random small rural town and think it happens all over the country.

When we read stories like this (Judge Says Murfreesboro Mosque Construction Must Stop - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports) we find it crazy how a islamic center could bother somone so much that they have to disrespect a whole community of muslims in middle tennessee. i hate mcdonalds, i think its nasty and want nothing to do with it but i dont care if my city builds a mcdonalds because i have a choice to not go there

Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

Agreed!!!

We have far more in common than not

Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM

10 posts, read 19,903 times
I rarely hear of Indians mixing it up with others, anyone else find it true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.