Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:45 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
A Clever Way to keep NYC's Metro Ranking up there...I'm sure CT will be included once Metro L.A starts catching up.
I don't get it. LA is geographically larger and I'm sure it's adjacent land areas are included in it's primary statistical area (metro). But yet you feel it's taboo for NYC to include Northern NJ? Which is probably smaller in geography anyway.

-Metro areas are never, ever limited to state boundaries. LA's metro area would probably still be the same size even if Arizona or Nevada's border were right next to the city. The East is made up of much smaller states, but a metro area doesn't account for where a state line is. LA's metro is HUGE, and would perhaps cover the same number of states (if not more) if it was situated in the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
41 Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $39,628 +5.7%

Some how I don't believe this...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,524 times
Riverside-Bernardino-Ontario is considered part of the Greater Los Angeles (CMSA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
The point is fairness.

L.A Metro seems to be the only region that becomes divided often when it comes to Rankings,while other Metro's gain places.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM

37 posts, read 193,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I don't get it. LA is geographically larger and I'm sure it's adjacent land areas are included in it's primary statistical area (metro). But yet you feel it's taboo for NYC to include Northern NJ? Which is probably smaller in geography anyway.

-Metro areas are never, ever limited to state boundaries. LA's metro area would probably still be the same size even if Arizona or Nevada's border were right next to the city. The East is made up of much smaller states, but a metro area doesn't account for where a state line is. LA's metro is HUGE, and would perhaps cover the same number of states (if not more) if it was situated in the East.
exactly the metro area of LA is huge compared to ny nj metro so its only fair to include north jersey since its like 15 miles away some parts but riverside CA is 64 miles away from LA and its included in the metro area

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,781 times
It's just very odd why other Cities/States get added onto NYC's Metro,while L.A's Metro gets cut in half,as what i've seen in quite a few lists online.

From my perspective it seems like people who create those Bogus Lists are L.A Bashers and will do what they can to drop L.A's Rankings when it's something Positive,but would include the entire 5 County Metro Region of L.A-San Bernardino-Riverside-Orange-Ventura when it's something Negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post

Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Ummm that's your definition at your end,but most Californians consider the 5 County Region of L.A-Riverside-San Bernardino-Orange-Ventura as part of L.A Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Riverside-Bernardino-Ontario is considered part of the Greater Los Angeles (CMSA).

Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Trust me,your not the only one shocked at that list

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
41 Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $39,628 +5.7%

Some how I don't believe this...

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,018 times
Don't be so alarmed. Per capita lists are completely irrelevant and useless. It's nothing more than a mathematical equation. Median income is what gives you the most accurate picture of what the majority of people in the middle of a population earn.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,524 times
I just read a study by the California State University at Chico regarding the brainpower rating among major US metros and I think per capita income for the Los Angeles area is pretty accurate.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM

NYC has been going further than Jersey to include other Cities/States as part of it's Metro Area....Next in line is Bridgeport-New Haven,CT,which is about 50-70 miles away from NYC.

This is NYC's Method of staying on Top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjersey973 View Post
exactly the metro area of LA is huge compared to ny nj metro so its only fair to include north jersey since its like 15 miles away some parts but riverside CA is 64 miles away from LA and its included in the metro area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.