Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or do cincinnati drivers drive a lot more faster now. I promise you when i get on the 1-71 there are a couple of weavers and the pace of speed is about 70-75, i mean most people are doing that but in the fast lane its about 80-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 AM

144 posts, read 270,595 times
Based on my observations on I-65 through Alabama, Illinois and Indiana drivers outspeed the Alabama drivers, who already drive fast. Michigan drivers seem particularly fast too.

On some parts of I-85 in Georgia and Alabama, you better be driving 80 mph or faster or you will get run over.

When the traffic is moving fast and efficiently, it's great. I find I am more alert in fast moving traffic. It's when the left lane hogs and the weavers mess up the rhythm that make it difficult. I can't stand below the speed limit along with left lane hog traffic.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM

57 posts, read 77,232 times
I've noticed lately, as in the past three years, that there are increasing number of unique speed maniacs here in the Metro-Detroit area. They are distinctly different than people who simply speed. I liken this group to that of people that participate in Parkour.

So let's call them Parkour Drivers. Instead of running, they are driving. These people drive in a very specific manner, with an absurd level of urgency and determination that is very much like a high-speed chase scene in a film, except there is only one car and there is no other car pursing them. I'm not sure if they are competing against themselves (i.e. time-trials from point A to B), or they are simply seeking an endorphin release caused by the excitement of extremely risky driving.

The Parkour Drivers close rapidly on any cars impeding their progress, and will tailgate, with darting, lateral oscillation from side to side - aggressively gesturing to find a "hole" to punch through. With absolutely no yielding to other drivers, they bully their way through traffic, in what seems to be a race against themselves - to see how fast they can go, casting all other drivers aside and showing no anxiety for how these other drivers might react to such aggressive maneuvers. They rely heavily on confidence, knowing from experience, that most all other drivers will automatically yield for fear of being in an accident. Many times the Parkour Driver will change lanes, even if another car is blocking them, because they know the other car will move. Surely a confidence game.

The demographic composition of the drivers seem to be young males or females, not weighted to any particular race or ethnicity.

Has anyone else noticed these PD's? I've seen it occur most frequently on the M-10 Lodge Freeway and I-75, both northbound and southbound. Rarely on the surface streets, other than Telegraph Rd. and Woodward Ave. where it seems to happen every once in awhile.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Beyond a shadow of doubt, the fastest, most reckless drivers in the country can be found along I-95 and Florida's Turnpike between Miami and Orlando.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
I live in Kansas City and literally everyone in this city drives so slow it takes forever to get anywhere I would think that the average speed for a freeway would be about 80 or 90 but no everyone in this God forsaken city drives about 50 or 60 on the freeway it takes forever to get anywhere! It really sucks here!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Douche bags from Chicago.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 PM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14austinh View Post
I live in Kansas City and literally everyone in this city drives so slow it takes forever to get anywhere I would think that the average speed for a freeway would be about 80 or 90 but no everyone in this God forsaken city drives about 50 or 60 on the freeway it takes forever to get anywhere! It really sucks here!
I-70 on MO side, I-35, US 71, and I-435 across the south side are heavily patrolled so you're hard pressed to get above 65 on any of those highways. Try I-70 outside of 635, the south leg of I-470 or I-435 (east side KCMO & western JoCo) under 75 MPH and you will be run over.

And yeah, the Dan Ryan is a BEAST. I almost got run off the road doing 70 MPH during the reconstruction in the mid 2000's....

People from Houston generally either drive like bats out of hell, or can't drive at all. Dallas folks drive like bats out of hell with a purpose.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Is it just me or do cincinnati drivers drive a lot more faster now. I promise you when i get on the 1-71 there are a couple of weavers and the pace of speed is about 70-75, i mean most people are doing that but in the fast lane its about 80-85.

Ohio drivers are afraid to drive faster than 65.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Douche bags from Chicago.
This is what the majority of people in the Upper Midwest are going to say. And for the region, it's true.

I actually like the speed, it's pretty slow here (especially in WI, renowned for ridiculous speeding tickets) outside Milwaukee. Chicago is dense and reckless, though, and carries over into other states they vacation in.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
The Midwest...we drive fast. It is flat with the occasional rolling hill and great curves. The best driving experience is in NW IL or NE WI. These roads are the best. The next best place is in Oregon. The Oregon Coast Highway is a fun road to drive. The best road is a tie between County T in WI from New Holstein to Hayton and multiple roads in NW IL. God I love these roads. You can get some good G's. It is an incredible driving experience. They are roads meant for high performance cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.