Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most reserved/unfriendly part of the US?
The Northeast 81 50.00%
The South 30 18.52%
The Midwest 12 7.41%
The Northwest 33 20.37%
The Southwest 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,316,554 times

Advertisements

most people i met from batimore were cool. D.C. and other parts of maryland are so-so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
You ain't lying. I live there and I agree.

Urban Dictionary: northern virginia attitude

I too agree. I lived in Virginia beach for a minute, but have been all around Virginia. They are straight pr cks from my experience. Plus the segregation was overwhelming. I've lived in lots of cities with segregation, but they weren't so rude. I am white. Was in a black neighborhood and was shunned by everyone there. I was just trying to be friendly. They weren't having that. They in unison were like what are you doing her whitey. I felt like it was 1950 reversed...Could never live in that sh t hole called Virginia again.. Thank god for the transplants from the service to add a little kindness to the Hampton roads area. Never regretted leaving that place..Another notch for mid atlantic. And I thought southerners were supposed to be kind!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I too agree. I lived in Virginia beach for a minute, but have been all around Virginia. They are straight pr cks from my experience. Plus the segregation was overwhelming. I've lived in lots of cities with segregation, but they weren't so rude. I am white. Was in a black neighborhood and was shunned by everyone there. I was just trying to be friendly. They weren't having that. They in unison were like what are you doing her whitey. I felt like it was 1950 reversed...Could never live in that sh t hole called Virginia again.. Thank god for the transplants from the service to add a little kindness to the Hampton roads area. Never regretted leaving that place..Another notch for mid atlantic. And I thought southerners were supposed to be kind!
The Hampton Roads area surprises me. I would think people would be nice there; Richmond, just to its north, is basically the I-95 gateway to the South.

Now, NoVA...well, what did you expect? Just because it is geographically considered to be in the South doesn't mean it is actually Southern. I call Greater D.C. as well as most of Florida the new boroughs of New York.

I live in California now and many of the state's natives are laid back, especially in the rural and outer suburban areas. However, there are a lot of Northeastern transplants in the major metropolitan areas and they can be rather prickly, but then again so can native urban Californians. S.F. people can be just awful, and the East Bay and Peninsula are more polite but not much friendlier; you have to get 40-50 miles away from S.F. to begin to find California "laid back" in the Bay Area.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,057 times

It's hilarious the methods people use to gauge friendliness. Especially when it comes to driving.
Oh the drivers were so mean to me, it's such an unfriendly place. Wahh wahh.

Yeah I'll honk at you if the light turns green and you just sit there and I'll probably yell things like "move it #@$%&*!" but it doesn't mean that I'm not a friendly person that wants to make friends and talk to people. I just don't want to sit a red light all day while the person in front of me applies makeup or stares off into space.

That's probably because I grew up in South Florida where driving requires more of a tactical skill set than common courtesy. Once you learn driving down there, you pick up habits that are hard to break. Never the less people live reasonably close to one another there and the population is dense and there's a lot to do. So making friends or at the least activity partners isn't all that difficult, even if people there are a bit on the pretentious side.

You can move to a place like the Atlanta area where drivers are so courteous that they'll just all of a sudden decide to stop in the middle of the highway where there is no stop sign or traffic signal, just to let in one car that is waiting to merge in. People here don't honk. They may talk to you in the checkout line at the store and they smile and wave...
But they don't want to be friends.
It's just too far, everyone's too busy, it's too hot, it's too cold, there's nothing to do, nowhere to go. And the population is really spread out. A hard place to make friends. It's even harder to keep friends. Say you make a friend who lives in your area. Then they get transfered to an office on the other side of town. The other side of town in Atlanta can mean it's literally 90 -120 minutes away or 50 or more miles distance. You can pretty much kiss that friend goodbye. People are more focused on finding and keeping a suitor and producing children than they are about making friends. And I've never felt so "used" before as I have here. Thus, I've concluded metro Atlanta is not a friendly place based on the fact that I've been here 12 years and despite my best efforts, I don't have many friends to show for it and the friends that I do have are pretty far away.

I moved here from Florida where people don't smile and wave. Where people don't talk to you in the checkout line (probably because they don't know what language you speak) and because of that, that's just how I am. I don't smile and wave at people and usually don't make small talk with strangers. But I do actively seek out meaningful friendships and try to make an effort to keep those going. And I've never had a problem doing that down there.

I would suggest to people that rather than make up your mind about an area based on your initial first impressions or by the drivers, judge friendliness by how easy it is to make (and keep) actual friends.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 AM

502 posts, read 718,040 times
Pacific NW. The people in Seattle are like "have a nice day, somewhere else"

Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Friendliness is such a subjective thing. And, it's not what it appears to be. I found places where people are outwardly friendly in a casual way, yet that's about it. And, other places where they aren't so much, but more sincere perhaps when you get to know them.I lived in a place where everyone had a plastic smile pasted on, it does get irritating, yet long faces are, too. I mean--can't you even smile, it won't hurt that much I promise.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM

275 posts, read 419,676 times
Default Hmmm, strange u say that about Georgia, i.e. ATL

i have known MANY folks from GA, & they were super friendly but ATL is a big city & urban ppl are often different than rural areas.
Up north though, in Southern New England people are SUPER hostile, hateful, verbally abusive & have NO regard for people's safety either!

An old guy was run over by a car in Hartford, Connecticut &
lay there dying & NO ONE WANTED TO CALL 911 TO HELP SAVE THE ELDERLY MAN'S LIFE AT ALL!
You don't want to move to Connecticut if you are disabled or elderly.
The probate court system is the worst & most corrupt in the nation.
Look up a Yale University Law Professor named John Langbein, you'll see what I am talking of!
They call Connecticut Corrupticut now due to all the corruption taking place in that state.Rather sad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
It's hilarious the methods people use to gauge friendliness. Especially when it comes to driving.
Oh the drivers were so mean to me, it's such an unfriendly place. Wahh wahh.

Yeah I'll honk at you if the light turns green and you just sit there and I'll probably yell things like "move it #@$%&*!" but it doesn't mean that I'm not a friendly person that wants to make friends and talk to people. I just don't want to sit a red light all day while the person in front of me applies makeup or stares off into space.

That's probably because I grew up in South Florida where driving requires more of a tactical skill set than common courtesy. Once you learn driving down there, you pick up habits that are hard to break. Never the less people live reasonably close to one another there and the population is dense and there's a lot to do. So making friends or at the least activity partners isn't all that difficult, even if people there are a bit on the pretentious side.

You can move to a place like the Atlanta area where drivers are so courteous that they'll just all of a sudden decide to stop in the middle of the highway where there is no stop sign or traffic signal, just to let in one car that is waiting to merge in. People here don't honk. They may talk to you in the checkout line at the store and they smile and wave...
But they don't want to be friends.
It's just too far, everyone's too busy, it's too hot, it's too cold, there's nothing to do, nowhere to go. And the population is really spread out. A hard place to make friends. It's even harder to keep friends. Say you make a friend who lives in your area. Then they get transfered to an office on the other side of town. The other side of town in Atlanta can mean it's literally 90 -120 minutes away or 50 or more miles distance. You can pretty much kiss that friend goodbye. People are more focused on finding and keeping a suitor and producing children than they are about making friends. And I've never felt so "used" before as I have here. Thus, I've concluded metro Atlanta is not a friendly place based on the fact that I've been here 12 years and despite my best efforts, I don't have many friends to show for it and the friends that I do have are pretty far away.

I moved here from Florida where people don't smile and wave. Where people don't talk to you in the checkout line (probably because they don't know what language you speak) and because of that, that's just how I am. I don't smile and wave at people and usually don't make small talk with strangers. But I do actively seek out meaningful friendships and try to make an effort to keep those going. And I've never had a problem doing that down there.

I would suggest to people that rather than make up your mind about an area based on your initial first impressions or by the drivers, judge friendliness by how easy it is to make (and keep) actual friends.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Have you people ever stop to think hmmm maybe there is a reason that these people are unfriendly to me?

A guy was standing/blocking the doorway texting, i said "hey buddy it would be awesome if i could get inside so could you please get out of the way?" I called him my buddy and i said please, but he still says "Wow your rude."

Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are indeed many friendly folks in Seattle and I made some life long friends while living there for 5 years. Though the Seattle freeze does exist as its easy terminology to characterize the ones that are standoffish and reserved. I guess it all depends on one's approch, attitude, and how thick their skin is. People in the Northeast can also be either rude or as sweet as a peach, it's hit or miss. I guess that's anywhere though. I find New Mexico to be a friendlier state than WA or Mass, of course there are many exceptions as well.
The Pacific Northwest. Hands down. Leaps and bounds ahead of any place I've ever lived.

My approach doesn't change wherever I've lived. Why should I change? Then, why do Northeasterners approach ME and strike up relaxed, prolonged conversations, sometimes culminating in a phone or e-mail exchange? Some are rude, most are NOT. (I am NOT including New England here, which is different enough from the Middle Atlantic/NE). In several cases, I've met the parents of friends who are Jerseyites, Pennsylvanians or New Yorkers, whose Moms immediately hugged me as a greeting. You will NEVER experience that in the PNW.

I think the Pacific Northwest doesn't get the votes because many people have not been there or, if they have, the uniform politeness of the people is misinterpreted. Living there is a different ball game.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-30-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,067 times
I think that towns that are actually "unfriendly" are overlooked because they are smaller.

I also don't think it's a regional thing so much.

Chicago is very friendly, Des Moines is not. Both are in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.