Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ohio and Pa seem to have nothing to do with each other. Maybe its the precieved difference between midwest and northeast I dont know. Illinois does not mix well with any of its neighbors either, probably because people from Chicago think they are better than the rest of the midwest. I know people in Wi and Mi do not mix well with the Chicago people who flood thier respective states every summer for vacation. Northern Ill (Chicago area) people are different from the rest of the midwest.
I wouldn't say they have nothing to do with each other, although I do think some people might overstate it a bit. Pittsburgh is very much "of Pennsylvania" and is increasingly influenced by the coastal megalopolis, being the first major metropolitan area to the west, but it's still pretty keen to Cleveland and Columbus. There's actually a fair amount of "tourism" between those three cities with regard to recreation, entertainment and nightlife.

The mistake people make is assuming that Pittsburgh has anything more than negligible ties to Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis and other parts of the Midwest simply because it's at the eastern end of the "Rust Belt." When it comes to migration between cities, Pittsburgh sends more people to and receives more people from Philadelphia, New York and Washington DC than it does with any city to its west. In other words, western Pennsylvania doesn't care much about anything west of central Ohio.

It's very interesting how the culture and the vibe changes once you go from the relative flatness of Ohio to the ruggedness of Pennsylvania. There is some spillover both ways due to both the terrain and the arrangement of the major cities on each side of the state line, though. Northwestern Pennsylvania (Erie, Crawford and Mercer Counties) feels sort of like an extension of northeastern Ohio, and east-central Ohio (Mahoning, Columbiana, Jefferson and Belmont Counties) feels sort of like an extension of southwestern Pennsylvania. I believe that the terrain has as much to do with it as the proximity to major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pittsburgh and Philly aren't that far apart. They are a little closer at 255 miles apart.
If you go by Interstate mileage, the distance from downtown Pittsburgh to downtown Philadelphia is 304 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yes and no with Ohio and PA. You will see a fair amount of Ohio plates in the Pittsburgh area (especially in the western half of the metro) as that's the closest major metro for some in Ohio, but in general people who live in Pittsburgh in general rarely go to Ohio unless it's for the Football and Rock n Roll Hall of Fame or Cedar Point and those are once a year at most trips. For many people in Pittsburgh, Ohio could be as far away as Chicago despite it's only a little more than an hour from Downtown. People in Pennsylvania don't have a need to go to Ohio like those in Ohio may depending on where they are in the state. I do find it amazing how much flatter it gets right away driving on I-76 once you get into Ohio.
You'll see plenty of Ohio plates in the western Pittsburgh metropolitan area because of people visiting from Youngstown, East Liverpool, Steubenville and St. Clairsville. Conversely, I imagine you'll probably see a fair number of Pennsylvania plates in the eastern Cleveland metropolitan area because of people visiting from Erie, Meadville and Sharon. With that said, you'll always see lots of Ohio, New York and Ontario plates in Grove City because they all enjoy the tax-free clothing in Pennsylvania.

I also disagree (to an extent) that Pittsburghers pay Ohio no mind. There are plenty of Pittsburghers who take occasional trips to Cleveland and Columbus, and vice versa. It's everything west of Columbus that Pittsburgh doesn't pay much attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
How about Oregon and Nevada? The two border in a very remote area, I think many residents of both states aren't even aware the two states are neighbors.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Some people may disagree, but I think Maryland and Pennsylvania don't really have close ties. Maryland and Virginia are heavily heavily connected despite the Potomac River separating us, and many people commute across the river in the DC area and in Southern Maryland despite the traffic across the bridges. The Maryland and Virginia Eastern Shore is related culturally and connected economically with Delaware and each other as Delmarva. In fact Salisbury MD is known as the cross roads of Delmarva and many commute from Delaware and Virginia. Western Maryland has many links with West Virginia, epecially around Hagerstown and Cumberland. However MD seems to have few links with Pennsylvania aside from the fact that some of Baltimore's suburban sprawl has reached across the state line into York County PA, due to urban growth restrictions in northern Baltimore County. I think one reason relatively fewer people commute between PA and MD is that Pennsylvania's taxes are only slightly lower than Maryland's, while Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware's taxes are significantly lower than Maryland's, and the far distance of the PA border to Maryland's major cities.

I also think California and Oregon are very different maybe since the part of California that borders Oregon is very isolated and California's culture is dominated by Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego. I think Colorado and Kansas are quite different since most Coloradans are concentrated around the Front Range and eastern Colorado is sparsely populated. I also think West Virginia and Ohio are very different.

I think the Florida Panhandle is very similar to Alabama.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 08-18-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Nevada and Idaho border one another but have very few transportation links between them. The fastest way from Boise to Las Vegas is through Utah and Arizona. They are also culturally pretty different. Idaho is more similar to Montana and Wyoming.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Missouri and Kentucky are tied together more than some people think. I don't think Missouri as a whole has a strong connection to Nebraska, Oklahoma or Tennessee. Bordering parts of Missouri probably do. My part of the state is connected to Western Kentucky more than anywhere. There would be a connection to far Southern Illinois but there really isn't much business there. Besides, Illinois within 20 miles of the Ohio River might as well be Kentucky anyway.
I've heard that witth the geography, Illinois and Kentucky are the only two states that border each other without a road connection at all. I think its a river boundary.

And aren't Utah and Nevada very different? The most socially conservative and Mormon state vs the state with legalized gambling (including slot machines in supermarkets) and legalized prostitution in most counties. I think Nevada is also more economically and culturally connected with California and Arizona. Utah is a unique state in many ways and is kind of different from Colorado too.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ohio and Pa seem to have nothing to do with each other. Maybe its the precieved difference between midwest and northeast I dont know. Illinois does not mix well with any of its neighbors either, probably because people from Chicago think they are better than the rest of the midwest. I know people in Wi and Mi do not mix well with the Chicago people who flood thier respective states every summer for vacation. Northern Ill (Chicago area) people are different from the rest of the midwest.
Some people in WI don't like people from IL but most are warm and welcoming. I think the people in WI and Coastal MI appreciate the revenue from IL. I've lived in WI, MI and Chicago. And don't see a major difference in people. But as for the question of the thread I'd say Michigan and Ohio have a bitter rivalry.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 PM

581 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Some people may disagree, but I think Maryland and Pennsylvania don't really have close ties. Maryland and Virginia are heavily heavily connected despite the Potomac River separating us, and many people commute across the river in the DC area and in Southern Maryland despite the traffic across the bridges. The Maryland and Virginia Eastern Shore is related culturally and connected economically with Delaware and each other as Delmarva. In fact Salisbury MD is known as the cross roads of Delmarva and many commute from Delaware and Virginia. Western Maryland has many links with West Virginia, epecially around Hagerstown and Cumberland. However MD seems to have few links with Pennsylvania aside from the fact that some of Baltimore's suburban sprawl has reached across the state line into York County PA, due to urban growth restrictions in northern Baltimore County. I think one reason relatively fewer people commute between PA and MD is that Pennsylvania's taxes are only slightly lower than Maryland's, while Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware's taxes are significantly lower than Maryland's, and the far distance of the PA border to Maryland's major cities.
I definitely agree.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 08-19-2012 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
I've heard that witth the geography, Illinois and Kentucky are the only two states that border each other without a road connection at all. I think its a river boundary.
I-24, U.S. 45 and U.S. 60 cross from Kentucky into Illinois.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:36 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
WV and Ohio, but other than that WV reflects its other border states

Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:

Yes and no but on the whole and as someone who lives fairly close to MD I dont feel as strong a connection as I do to say NJ or even DE (which is lessor)

On the Delmarva - that area is like its own little world quite honestly.

On the MD and DE; while the connection on the lower end is there, more than half of Delaware's population is basically on the PA/Philly border and part of the Philly MSA. if anything I would say on the whole DE is more associated with PA but the lower part and beach (rehobeth) not as much.

I think it all depens on where you are. If you live in the Philly area or Allentown area NJ is the common neighbor, a stones throw. In Pittsburgh not as much. It really depends on where you are in many states. As in most ways living in this area I feel more commonalities to NJ or NYC than I do to Pittsburgh (which is 4 times the distance basically from the eastern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.