Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,969 times

Advertisements

Can I be 100% honest with you guys? Full disclosure?

Nobody outside of the South even makes a distinction. Really. I've never heard anybody refer to North Carolina as the "promised land," or so much as insinuate it. To most people outside of the South, it might as well *be* Alabama.

That's not meant to sound superior, it's just reality. I mean, does anybody in the South make a huge distinction between Pennsylvania and Michigan, besides that they are both "Northern"? And let's limit it to outside of city-data, because people here are generally more informed about geography/urban issues. I could tell you plenty of things that make Alabama and North Carolina different, culturally, politically, economically. Your average Joe Schmoe that's not on city-data, could not.

That being said, the line about "no major cities" and "no pro sports teams" is glaringly inaccurate. I mean, major cities is subjective, I guess. Pro-sports teams is easy to substantiate. Off the top of my head, the Saints, Grizzlies, Titans and Predators are all in the states listed. New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham, and maybe Mobile, Jackson, and Little Rock could all be considered major cities. I think all of those at least have first-name recognition with pretty much any American who's reasonably informed (which would be my best standard for what cities are "major" and which cities are not...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,969 times
Sorry, I misread the OP and didn't realize that Louisiana and Tennessee weren't being grouped in with Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Kentucky (which makes very little geographic sense, and doesn't leave much of the South for the other category....)

Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Louisiana is in your list of "good" southern states? Last time I checked they're in worse shape than some of the "bad" southern states, especially after Katrina. Hate to say it but most people don't see Louisiana as a hub of economic growth or "the new south". And their politicians are a joke, from "Mr. Chocolate City" Ray Nagin to diaper fetish perv David Vitter. Bobby Jindal is about the only politician there who holds a degree of respect from people.
First statement is true. After Katrina, we have gotten better. I don't know where you get this idea from. Ray Nagin is not a Louisiana politician, doesn't even live in the state. Bobby Jindall is a joke, you have got to be kidding with him getting respect.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not true at all. Myrtle Beach is actually the fastest-growing metro in the state, and the Columbia metro added more people in the last decade than Charleston (although Charleston had a higher growth rate). The Greenville metro is also in the same vicinity as far as growth rates go and its urbanized area had one of the highest growth rates in the country over the last decade. Suburban Charlotte (York, portions of Lancaster counties) also saw significant growth.
You're right, I forgot about the upstate. And I didn't realize Columbia was growing.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
First statement is true. After Katrina, we have gotten better. I don't know where you get this idea from. Ray Nagin is not a Louisiana politician, doesn't even live in the state. Bobby Jindall is a joke, you have got to be kidding with him getting respect.

Well, in all honesty I was trying not to be a political hack. I'm pretty liberal and don't agree with Jindal on anything at all, based on policy. He's a typical southern Gov, bowing down to crazy right wing special interest groups. But at least he hasn't been embroiled in the same bizarre scandals as someone like Vitter. He should have resigned like Spitzer did. Instead he goes in front of the cameras and has some phony "come to Jesus" moment, and then in 2010 he gets reelected by a landslide!

I never said things haven't gotten better in Louisiana, but there's still so much in New Orleans and the gulf that hasn't been rebuilt and when you visit it's palpable, even seven years after the storm.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 AM

38 posts, read 91,764 times
Quote:
Louisiana is in your list of "good" southern states? Last time I checked they're in worse shape than some of the "bad" southern states, especially after Katrina. Hate to say it but most people don't see Louisiana as a hub of economic growth or "the new south". And their politicians are a joke, from "Mr. Chocolate City" Ray Nagin to diaper fetish perv David Vitter. Bobby Jindal is about the only politician there who holds a degree of respect from people.

Tennessee has Nashville which is cool, but outside of it people think of it as Hee Haw.
Mississippi got hit with Katrina just like Louisiana. New Orleans got more coverage than Gulfport/Biloxi because it was larger and more popular. Many people outside the south know New Orleans LA. Not everyone has heard of Gulport MS or the capital city Jackson.

Tennessee also has Memphis.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 AM

38 posts, read 91,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post

That being said, the line about "no major cities" and "no pro sports teams" is glaringly inaccurate. I mean, major cities is subjective, I guess. Pro-sports teams is easy to substantiate. Off the top of my head, the Saints, Grizzlies, Titans and Predators are all in the states listed. New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Birmingham, and maybe Mobile, Jackson, and Little Rock could all be considered major cities. I think all of those at least have first-name recognition with pretty much any American who's reasonably informed (which would be my best standard for what cities are "major" and which cities are not...)
When most job transfers or businesses from the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, or Northwest move to the south they often go to: Atlanta Georgia, Miami Florida, Alexandria Virginia, Charlotte North Carolina, etc. Not Jackson MS, Little Rock AR, Mobile AL, or Lousiville Ky. When people outside the south stereotype the south they often mention Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Not Georgia, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, etc.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Well, in all honesty I was trying not to be a political hack. I'm pretty liberal and don't agree with Jindal on anything at all, based on policy. He's a typical southern Gov, bowing down to crazy right wing special interest groups. But at least he hasn't been embroiled in the same bizarre scandals as someone like Vitter. He should have resigned like Spitzer did. Instead he goes in front of the cameras and has some phony "come to Jesus" moment, and then in 2010 he gets reelected by a landslide!

I never said things haven't gotten better in Louisiana, but there's still so much in New Orleans and the gulf that hasn't been rebuilt and when you visit it's palpable, even seven years after the storm.
When's the last time you've been to New Orleans? It's better than ever before.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
When's the last time you've been to New Orleans? It's better than ever before.
Amen to that! New Orleans is definitely on the right track and getting better each day - and considering the huge blow that area took just 6 years ago or so - it's amazing. It really showcases the gifts, attitudes and resiliency of the people.

I love it there and encourage anyone who hasn't visited it in the past couple of years to go see our beautiful New Orleans - one of our nation's treasures! I'd venture to say that outside the 9th ward, NOLA is actually in better shape than it was before Katrina.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,174,118 times
Just to interject......don't associate nova with the rest of va...those pricks should have seceded into dc already. They have single handedly minimized my states historical southern significance. I know it's off topic and I apologize but I just hate that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.