Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM

145 posts, read 257,024 times

Advertisements

The whole "Connecticut is a mini-NY" stereotype. It's really not. Perhaps Fairfield County because of all the NYers living there, but the rest of CT is very New England-y. Especially the area I live in (NW CT). Small towns, charming little shops and Victorian homes, people wearing flannel and John Deere hats, wilderness, long windy roads, Red Sox fans...

Eastern "quiet corner" CT is fairly New England-y too. NW CT just shares a bit of Western Mass culture since both are in the Berkshires.

Also, lived here all my life and never seen this so-called "Manhattan Clam Chowder" here. I've only seen the New England Clam Chowder.

Yes, there are NY Yankee fans here. So what? I've seen Yankees fans in Mass and Vermont too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Texas is not all a flat prairie.

Most of us don't own a horse. Hell, most of us haven't been on a horse in decades - if ever.

We actually have a vibrant arts scene.

Texas has some very cosmopolitan areas.

One stereotype though strikes me as very true, and that is that Texans don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about them. We are very independent.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:34 PM

278 posts, read 467,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
Regions. LOL @ that. That one is practically a relic. Useless as can be in the 21st century. American culture is unifying. We're mobile people and our numbers influence the rest of the country. Americanization. Welcome to the 21st century.
Yes, it is even hard to identify a southern accent in younger people, especially girls. Even in places like Richmond, Charlotte, and Raleigh, they sound like MTV.

More people move for work and wind up scattered around, and we are connected by tv and internet.

I don't know if it is possible to know a city or region, you can only know your part of it. Two different people can live in the same neighborhood and have different experiences altogether - frequenting different restaurants and living a different culture. You can know what people tend to do, but we are long past the times when everyone in town did one thing.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
I moved from NY to Atlanta for a job and I thought that the South was all cowboys and rednecks, but Atlanta is actually a really nice city.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas is not all a flat prairie.

Most of us don't own a horse. Hell, most of us haven't been on a horse in decades - if ever.

We actually have a vibrant arts scene.

Texas has some very cosmopolitan areas.

One stereotype though strikes me as very true, and that is that Texans don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about them. We are very independent.
Even I thought Texas was all flat, dry, empty. I pictured it like the images of the Coyote chasing the roadrunner type image for the entire state. I never imagined it to have major metropolitan areas like Houston or as lush as East Texas.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
New York State suffers from double misconceptions:

Misconception type #1: The entire state is urban.

Misconception type #2: The entire state is rural, except for New York City.

Neither one of these is true.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 AM

407 posts, read 829,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Even I thought Texas was all flat, dry, empty. I pictured it like the images of the Coyote chasing the roadrunner type image for the entire state.
Nah. That's more New Mexico and/or Arizona

j/k

Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
New York State suffers from double misconceptions:

Misconception type #1: The entire state is urban.

Misconception type #2: The entire state is rural, except for New York City.

Neither one of these is true.
Yeah I think the same goes for Cali too. I hear they have some really nice cities, but their rural areas are beautiful as well, so I've heard.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM

407 posts, read 829,607 times
Misconception 1: All Southerners are dumb and slow-witted

Misconception 2: All New Yorkers are rude

Misconception 3: All Southerners vote Republican

MisConception 4: All Northerners vote Liberal

Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The biggest one is "there's nothing there" - in spite of the fact that Maryland is the 5th most densely populated state. lol.
Yeah, I think it's because there is so much farmland. It's weird that Pennsylvania and New York never get hit with that, though, despite all their farmland.

Delaware is also mostly farmland, but lacks the major population centers that Maryland has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.