Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 AM

10 posts, read 19,088 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, as my name implies I am from Europe and will be moving to the US soon (I have a green card). I have a graduate degree in life/biomedical sciences and am looking for a career in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries. Not really decided on what position exactly I am looking for, so monster is not a great help to narrow down the location.
If nothing comes up I'd be willing to do teaching (community college) or academic research, too, but that's not my priority.

So, I did part of my undergrad in the US but never really looked into where to move best for this kind of career. Does anyone have any recommendations? I looked into the Chicago area because I have lived there before and have friends in the area. It seems like there are lots of companies in every field. I also like the idea of living in Seattle, but don't know about the opportunities there. Any input on those two areas?

Any other recommendations? I'll probably have to move without having a job lined up because no one hires someone who lives a continent away and can't start right away. So I am willing to move wherever I have the best prospects of finding a job. Only requirement for me is that I live close to a decent airport. If I don't like the area I can still relocate later on.

Your help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
You are fortunate to be specialized in a field where there is a significant demand in many cities.

With that being said the the two cities that are considered not only the US leaders in Biotech but world leaders are Boston and San Diego. Basically every industry website confirms this.

Other cities to consider:

- San Francisco/Silicon Valley
- Washington DC/Baltimore
- Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
- Philadelphia
- NYC Metro

Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Thanks for your input. Any difference between Boston and San Diego (or SF) when it comes to the chances of landing a job right now? I know California currently has one of the highest unemployment rates.

Does anyone else have any input for me, too?

Last edited by Euroscience; 09-22-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM

178 posts, read 583,192 times
I would second the Philadelphia area, and most are OUT of the city...in Montgomery county where I live now, (my husband -microbiology) but it is still expensive to rent or own here, and no one will rent to you unemployed. Usually that is the same for any city, actually.

And the triangle area of NC. Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh, and also the Greenboro-ish areas. You can just goggle maps the pharma co's and a million pop up, even some little starter ones. I am not sure what you are looking to as far as entry level, but the larger companies are hard to get into, esp with out experience 1-3yrs min.

Boston has a very high cost of living, and most are in the city itself, but we personally know of several that will be closing it's door with in this or the next few years. Commuting from a far, would be hard on traffic.

Will you be depending on public transportation?

It's no surprise that most pharma companies plop themselves in expensive areas, as most are looking for highly educated workers, and usually that goes along with pay, and where you can afford to live.

That being said, good luck! Several of my husband's school-mates applied to positions for years before they got in. I am really surprised that you wouldn't want to get at least one year under your belt, where you are located now, so that at least you could put that on your resume? (At least you didn't mention prior experience, I am not trying to be a downer-just know of so many other's struggling to get the job they want right now, who do live here) I do know several people that applied to other countries from here, and got a job elsewhere....so I do think that you could be hired living over there, but interviews and such would be difficult, unless they have a branch over there too....

So those are the 2 major locations that I know of personally, I am sure there are many more. NC would certainly have a lower cost of living than Boston or San Fran.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroscience View Post
Thanks for your input. Any difference between Boston and San Diego (or SF) when it comes to the chances of landing a job right now? I know California currently has one of the highest unemployment rates.

Does anyone else have any input for me, too?
Overall economic health in Massachusetts is better than California currently. Also when you compare Boston and San Diego overall Boston is doing better. With that said what really matters is how your industry is performing and in both San Diego and Boston there are no signs of fatigue economically in the Biotech sector. Through the recession both cities have cemented themselves as the leaders.

I work in Healthcare Finance for a company based in Boston and while NIH and Venture Capital funding is something we have to compete more for these days the funds are out there are we have shown no signs of slowing down. From what my peers in San Diego are saying they have noticed a similar situation.

So in other words you really cant go wrong focusing on either. I guess it comes down to where you would rather live.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
I would second the Philadelphia area, and most are OUT of the city...in Montgomery county where I live now, (my husband -microbiology) but it is still expensive to rent or own here, and no one will rent to you unemployed. Usually that is the same for any city, actually.
I'm fine living with roommates in the beginning, to save costs and also to get to know a few people already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
I am really surprised that you wouldn't want to get at least one year under your belt, where you are located now, so that at least you could put that on your resume?
I was thinking about that and it would make a lot of sense, especially since my degree and university would be accepted much better. However, my Green Card doesn't allow me to stay outside the US for longer than a year or I will loose my permanent resident status. I'd also be willing to first work any job just to support myself, but of course I did not go to college to work as a Starbucks Barista for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
So in other words you really cant go wrong focusing on either. I guess it comes down to where you would rather live.
Great. Thanks a lot! Do you know anything about the Chicago area? I'm somewhat drawn there because I've lived there before and have lots of friend there, too, which would make the transition easier. But if I can't find a job there, I'll rather move to San Diego or Boston.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I believe that Austin has a decent biotech industry and a sleeper may be here: New York's Tech Valley

If you are interested in starting something, this may be of interest to you: Welcome | Biocenter | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-22-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Indianapolis has a good biotech industry and it continues to grow and expand.
Eli Lily is Headquartered in Indianapolis and with your degrees im sure you could land a job with them or a company tied to Lily.
Indianapolis also has the most affordable housing market in the US and lowest cost of living of any major US city.
Indy also has plenty to do for a city with 2M people and you might of heard of the Indy 500 comes around every may and its one huge party before Raceday.
Plus Indianapolis hosted Super Bowl 46 this year and is bidding for the Super Bowl in 2018 or 2019.
The Super Bowl turned Indianapolis into the Party Capital of the World for 10 days

Finally if you drive Indy is a days drive away from 80% of the US population and only 4 hours or less from Chicago/Cincy/Columbus Ohio/Detroit/St Louis/Louisville/Fort Wayne/Evansville

Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
As an immigrant coming to the US, you'll have to find the job first and settle for what you can get. It's like that nowadays.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
As an immigrant coming to the US, you'll have to find the job first and settle for what you can get. It's like that nowadays.
Not really. I need to move somewhere first and then look for work because no one is going to hire me when I'm thousands of miles away and can't start when it suits them. Therefore, to increase my odds, I want to move to an area that at least has a lot of jobs in my field, so I don't have to work a minimum wage job or something for too long.

Thanks everyone for their input! I think I will either move to Boston or the SF Bay Area, probably Boston. It seems to have a healthier economy overall, so I can find a part-time job more easily to support myself while looking for a biotech/pharm job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.