Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 PM

230 posts, read 408,880 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've been researching AZ for a potential job, and I've managed to freak myself out completely about water... I see now why they say to stay away from Google if you get diagnosed with cancer...

anyway, the preponderance of evidence makes it sounds as though the CO River feeds both Denver and much of the Southwest, and it is a resource that is tapped beyond max.

So I live in the midwest and we have less daily news about water, but i understand due to overpopulation, one could freak out about water just about anywhere.

But if one cares about most of one's savings in real estate, then AZ might not work for me, given I have another 25 years plus to live, or so I hope. My second choice Denver sounds as though it has to battle the southwest, agriculture, mining and the oil and gas industries for a river that originates in Colorado.

Do people look at water when they investigate a city? My third choice, Nashville, has only information about issues that occurred during the flood of 2010, so I think there may be a few cities that are not one 10-20 year timelines....

Because I'm that way, now I want to find a natural spring and live there... aha, my sister has one on her farm in MI.

Am I nuts? do folks think about this?

There is nothing wrong with Madison, WI where I am, except that for the latter half of my life I was hoping for a little lower taxes, a little shorter winter and a little bigger city with new things to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Default this is an article I found all over the place in the news

Water Shortages in 10 Major US Cities - Greener Ideal

Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The intermediate step in this leap-to-crisis in America is likely to be the privatization of water, with water regulation and policy led by the corporate interests, through their lobbyists where necessary.

This has already partly been done, with the huge and persuasive campaign that tap water is undrinkable, and bottled water already in the grip of private corporations, who are trying to grab natural spring water for free and resell it, depleting some spring water aquifers.

When everyone has been convinced by new-age yuppies that they have to drink bottled water (partly as a fashion statement), municipal or corporate water-mongers will discontinue the purification of public water supplies entirely.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-10-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Can someone explain why it is that these southern cities, like Atlanta and Houston, are having water issues? Is any of it tied to the rapid growth of population and development?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Because a lot of these cities are competing for water sources that also feed other states/cities.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Water Shortage | The Water Information Program

this has a lot of good headlines on the Southwest... this one has been real for a while, and population growth is part of it.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Okay, so I've been researching AZ for a potential job, and I've managed to freak myself out completely about water... I see now why they say to stay away from Google if you get diagnosed with cancer...

anyway, the preponderance of evidence makes it sounds as though the CO River feeds both Denver and much of the Southwest, and it is a resource that is tapped beyond max.
Much of the water that supplies municipal Phoenix comes from the Arizona mountains (Verde, Salt Rivers). The residential growth in the Phoenix area has displaced farms, which were way more water intensive than what is replacing them.

Las Vegas has the more drastic water issues as they get their water directly from Lake Mead. They had to build a new intake at a deeper depth because the dropping lake levels threatened their water supply.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Can someone explain why it is that these southern cities, like Atlanta and Houston, are having water issues? Is any of it tied to the rapid growth of population and development?
Atlanta's issues stem from geology. The ground does not absorb water well in the Atlanta area, so when it rains the water just runs off into streams and rivers rather than feed aquifers, springs, and wells.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM

wow it's hard to know what to believe... the stuff I found on google about AZ was a bit frightening. I found the Lake Mead thing and LA too. Sounds like they need a backup plan!

The southwest appears to be trying to reclaim the desert!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Another of Atlanta's problems is the upstream dams have to release enough water to cool a nuclear plant on the Ala border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.