Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Those falls are west of that city, while High Falls is within city limits.
They are a mile or two west of the developed center of Snoqualmie, but are within the city limits. Load up Google Earth and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
They are a mile or two west of the developed center of Snoqualmie, but are within the city limits. Load up Google Earth and see for yourself.
Actually....the link you posted yourself proves otherwise....

Quote:
Snoqualmie Falls is a 268 ft (82 m) waterfall on the Snoqualmie River between Snoqualmie and Fall City, Washington, USA......

"The town of Snoqualmie Falls was located near the waterfall. It was associated with the Weyerhaeuser mill there. It had many structures including a hospital, school, community center, and many homes. When the town disbanded, many houses were moved to the nearby town of Snoqualmie.
IE....The waterfall is not located in Snoqualmie city-limits.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Actually....the link you posted yourself proves otherwise....

IE....The waterfall is not located in Snoqualmie city-limits.
No, the center of town is away from falls. Falls ARE within the city limits. See for yourself:

http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/libr...Plate%2017.pdf

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Three of Idaho's 10 largest cities are named after waterfalls: Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and Post Falls. Yet only Idaho Falls has the falls within the city limits.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Minneapolis grew off of St Anthony Falls and was named after Minnehaha falls.

St. Anthony Falls:
http://grossmanproject.net/images/St...0ca%201865.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lls_aerial.jpg

Minnehaha Falls:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eminnehaha.jpg

And as a cool fact, Downtown St. Paul and Fort Snelling are both built on what used to be River Warren Falls, which was the largest waterfall on the planet.
Largest in what way? I can't be height OR volume (the one in S. America is the tallest I believe and Victoria Falls in Africa has the most volume).

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
St. Anthony falls is what I think of as an "industrial" falls. Minnehaha looks more scenic or recreational. Was it ever used for industry? What is the urban setting like around it?

I lovelovelove Reedy falls - great pictures, Mutiny. To me it looks more natural than industrial - were the waters diverted to the structure on the right?

It made me sad to read about the mill houses being town down. That is where I would want to live! Too bad some of them couldn't have been preserved as a historical display.
Minnehaha Falls is squarely in the city of Minneapolis near the MSP airport. It's in a park, but the neighborhoods around it are fairly urban in character (turn-of-the-century housing stock and moderate population density). It's also a few blocks from the train station.

St. Anthony Falls used to be just a natural waterfall on the Mississippi River (the only waterfall on the Mississippi River???), but it was used for industrialization, yes, for milling purposes and is currently used to generate hydroelectric power. It is 100% natural though, just altered from its original form.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM

134 posts, read 344,118 times
Ithaca, NY was made for threads like these.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Largest in what way? I can't be height OR volume (the one in S. America is the tallest I believe and Victoria Falls in Africa has the most volume).
It was an ice age waterfall that no longer exists:

River Warren Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dry Falls in Washington may have been larger:

Dry Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Spokane, WA has Spokane Falls in the heart of downtown:

Spokane Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Olympia/Tumwater, WA grew up up along Tumwater Falls. The falls appear on the logo of Olympia beer.

Tumwater Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Olympia Brewing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Surprised you left out Snoqualmie!

Edit: nevermind, I read on. Lol

Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Wichita Falls, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.