Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
First of all, why are you being so defensive? There's no need to be infantilizing.

I'm just stating how the self-reported data is translated into the US census. All I'm doing is posting numbers.
Maybe I am defensive because I worked for the 2010 census and have heard far too many of the "conspiracy theories." To clarify:

If you are 'one or more races,' you report as such. The definition thereof is your own. The enumerator's job is to record your answers, not answer the question for you.

If you are 'Hispanic or Latino of any race,' you report it as such. Although, my personal experience was that most Hispanics and Latinos-- in a neighborhood that was pretty heavily Hispanic and Latino, I might add-- would report their race as 'other' and have me write in Hispanic/Latino/Mexican, etc.

To summarize:

There is not some magical formula being used to classify people. Hispanics and Latinos are not being over or under-counted because the census changed its definitions. If somebody had a Hispanic mom and non-Hispanic dad, and chose to identify as "White" in the race category, there is nothing the enumerator would be able to do about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Maybe I am defensive because I worked for the 2010 census and have heard far too many of the "conspiracy theories." To clarify:

If you are 'one or more races,' you report as such. The definition thereof is your own. The enumerator's job is to record your answers, not answer the question for you.

If you are 'Hispanic or Latino of any race,' you report it as such. Although, my personal experience was that most Hispanics and Latinos-- in a neighborhood that was pretty heavily Hispanic and Latino, I might add-- would report their race as 'other' and have me write in Hispanic/Latino/Mexican, etc.

To summarize:

There is not some magical formula being used to classify people. Hispanics and Latinos are not being over or under-counted because the census changed its definitions. If somebody had a Hispanic mom and non-Hispanic dad, and chose to identify as "White" in the race category, there is nothing the enumerator would be able to do about it...
Enumerator is a great job title.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Interesting. There's a lot of black flight from some major city cores (LA, NYC, Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago) to the suburbs.
We're seeing this a lot in Dallas too.

Quote:
SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - California

2009-2010 Top 10 states Californians migrate to (exemptions+returns)

1. Texas: 72,503
ONLY 72,503? It seems like way more than that.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

ONLY 72,503? It seems like way more than that.
What number were you expecting?

72,503 people in one fiscal year is still a lot of people. Can you visualize what that looks like in the real world?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:50 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Quote:
SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - California

2009-2010 Top 10 states Californians migrate to (exemptions+returns)

1. Texas: 72,503
2. Arizona: 46,720
3. Washington: 43,985
4. Nevada: 43,035
5. Oregon: 31,029
6. Florida: 28,120
7. New York: 27,829
8. Colorado: 26,954
9. Virginia: 21,162
10. Illinois: 18,602
This seems like a pretty unsurprising list. Somebody already brought up Black flight, which has definitely been covered in the media as a significant trend. People moving to the "New South" of Atlanta, North Carolina, Florida, and Eastern Texas, as well as D.C. burbs in NOVA and Maryland. I have a feeling a significant number of the California to Texas transplants are Black Californians, though I'm sure a significant number are of any race as well. Texas is a really diverse state (something a lot of people here in California seem to be baffled by, one girl "couldn't believe it" when she met an Asian girl from FW) and I think these moves are heavily related to the California economy. Someone said Texas' isn't as strong as it's made to be but compared to California's and California's cost of living, it's definitely better.

The next four all seem obvious to me.

Florida, similar to Texas, is part of that New South trend, with growing populations in the SE and Orlando along the I-4. Cheaper housing.

NY and Illinois will almost always make these lists.

Colorado similar to other southwest states.

Virginia because of the DC area, lots of jobs, strong economy, booming national metro area, so many people going here the way they go to the Silicon Valley.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
This seems like a pretty unsurprising list. Somebody already brought up Black flight, which has definitely been covered in the media as a significant trend. People moving to the "New South" of Atlanta, North Carolina, Florida, and Eastern Texas, as well as D.C. burbs in NOVA and Maryland. I have a feeling a significant number of the California to Texas transplants are Black Californians, though I'm sure a significant number are of any race as well. Texas is a really diverse state (something a lot of people here in California seem to be baffled by, one girl "couldn't believe it" when she met an Asian girl from FW) and I think these moves are heavily related to the California economy. Someone said Texas' isn't as strong as it's made to be but compared to California's and California's cost of living, it's definitely better.

The next four all seem obvious to me.

Florida, similar to Texas, is part of that New South trend, with growing populations in the SE and Orlando along the I-4. Cheaper housing.

NY and Illinois will almost always make these lists.

Colorado similar to other southwest states.

Virginia because of the DC area, lots of jobs, strong economy, booming national metro area, so many people going here the way they go to the Silicon Valley.
Well, its always good to compare these numbers to the top 10 states that send people TO California:

2009-2010 Top 10 states sending people to California (exemptions+returns)

1. Texas: 51,317
2. Arizona: 43,927
3. Nevada: 39,512
4. Washington: 37,411
5. New York: 31,762
6. Florida: 28,983
7. Illinois: 23,324
8. Oregon: 22,167
9. Colorado: 20,772
10. Virginia: 20,021

Around 43% of Californians who move out of state move to other Western states, while a further 31% move to the South (including Texas). Despite Texas' most favored status as place to move (and get people from), this mostly due to the size and population of Texas. However, what's more striking is how Californians are moving into previously relatively unpopulated Western states. Due to the fact that there is a lack of real natives in many of these states, these transplants are having an indeliable effect on those state's politics.

The near same percentage who move into California come from the West and South.

Aside from Texas and the Western states (AZ, NV, WA, OR, CO, etc.), California has a relative equal balance of people moving in and out. In fact, from Midwestern and Northeastern states, its generally the rule that California receives more of those states residents than the Californians sending people to those states.

As a caveat, this two way migration may reflect people moving back to their states of origin after a temporary job period. It would be interesting to see more detailed resident statistics based on a 5 year and longer sample. However, that would be way too much to ask from the IRS, and would probably violate some privacy laws. Hence we get forums like City Data.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,028 times
Well lets see here's some popular flight destinations...

- Dallas, TX
- Miami, FL
- Austin, TX
- Tampa, FL
- Washington DC
- Houston, TX
- San Antonio, TX
- Riverside, CA
- Denver, CO
- Seattle, WA

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Portland
Austin

Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Charlotte is a big one.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 PM

233 posts, read 334,028 times
My parents moved from CA to PA when I was very young. More for job reasons than not liking California. Only my dad is white though neither are from California originally.

Obviously this is not a particularly common migration pattern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.