Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do they have a lot in common?
Yes 4 6.67%
A little bit 19 31.67%
No 37 61.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times

Advertisements

Of course there are the obvious differences like climate, architecture and ethnic makeup; but I find they also have a lot in common.

1. Both are seemingly endless denser populated suburban areas (for the exception of rich and/or outer areas)
2. Both have crappy public transportation
3. Both are known for their beaches
4. Both generally have bad traffic
5. Both have extremely high cost of livings
6. The hills and near the water tend to be the wealthiest while inland areas tend to be mainly home to the middle class&working classes
7. Both have lots of strip malls and not many of those new suburban mcmansions
8. Both kinda have introverted cultures

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-05-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
hmm

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Los Angeles has in introverted culture??? I assumed LA was where people went when they wanted to be with people from everywhere else. Long island is pretty extroverted within their own group and with each other.

Actually the southern shore line of Long Island is also more working class heading east to a certain point. The north shore or north of a certain highway is where incomes rise as you head east to a certain point.

Long Island has the Long Island Rail Road. It is pretty extensive. It covers most of the needed areas. The trains are spacious, but I am not sure how fast it is.

Yes both places have great beaches, and bad traffic.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
No. Not at all.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I think Orange County is probably a better comparison than LA County itself. OC does have a lot of McMansions though but everything else much pretty describes OC.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think Orange County is probably a better comparison than LA County itself. OC does have a lot of McMansions though but everything else much pretty describes OC.
This is closer to the mark. What I wonder is, there's a tendency for OC folks to represent as generalized Angelenos. Is there a corresponding tendency for LI to represent for NYC?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Is this serious?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I used to assume Orange County and parts of LA were a west coast version of Long Island. They probably aren't as similar as I assumed.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Los Angeles is a lot more urban/dense than Long Island, so a better comparison would be the Los Angeles suburbs vs Long Island. On the surface they might have a few things in common, but there are some major differences. The infrastructure is older on Long Island (roads, housing, etc.). Both places have heavy traffic, but the roads (freeways) in the Los Angeles area have a higher capacity. Also, a much higher percentage of the people in Los Angeles are transplants. It is rare that a person would move to Long Island from elsewhere in the USA (I'm an exception). Most of the people who live on Long Island seem to do so because they are from here. Long Island has a lot going for it, but for most people the epicenter of everything is still Manhattan. The folks in and around Los Angeles in general do not have the same sentiments about downtown Los Angeles.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Los Angeles is a lot more urban/dense than Long Island, so a better comparison would be the Los Angeles suburbs vs Long Island. On the surface they might have a few things in common, but there are some major differences. The infrastructure is older on Long Island (roads, housing, etc.). Both places have heavy traffic, but the roads (freeways) in the Los Angeles area have a higher capacity. Also, a much higher percentage of the people in Los Angeles are transplants. It is rare that a person would move to Long Island from elsewhere in the USA (I'm an exception). Most of the people who live on Long Island seem to do so because they are from here. Long Island has a lot going for it, but for most people the epicenter of everything is still Manhattan. The folks in and around Los Angeles in general do not have the same sentiments about downtown Los Angeles.
Well, Brooklyn/Queens is on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.