Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! What I really desire is a city like Chicago, but not Chicago !! I am a native Chicagoan, lover of architecture, history and good Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives type food. I now live in suburban Atlanta, prior to Atlanta lived in Arizona.

I never knew how much I would miss running to a nearby food place to grab a bite of GOOD food; the casual ease of deciding with my hubby which breakfast place to go to, and I don't mean an I-Hop; SIDEWALKS, with people actually using them; access to public transit, though I drive; and thinking a "long drive" is 20 miles!!!

Chicago is such a beautiful city, full of nooks and crannies to explore, bustling. BUT there is a very rough underbelly which is well known: the crime, the segregation, the weather, the horrible schools - so I need a Chicago substitute.

Prefer mild 4 seasons climate, though I know that Houston, and the Palm Springs desert area have lots of MCM neighborhoods. Can be near-in suburbs with a pattern of overall safety and strong sense of community, which typically translates to good schools.

I guess by the very nature of a MCM home, the area will most likely be walkable due to the time period. I've looked in cities that had their heydays of building in the 50's, but need zipcode or neighborhood name recommendations.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Palm Springs, CA has the best-preserved mid-century architecture in the country.

For a larger city, try Los Angeles.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Palm Springs, CA has the best-preserved mid-century architecture in the country.

For a larger city, try Los Angeles.
When I think of mid-century modern, these are the first cities that come to mind. The Los Angeles suburb of Anaheim Hills is the quintessential neighborhood for them. Isn't that where the Brady Bunch house is?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Forget asking people's opinions. I bet city data has info on which cities grew the fastest between 1950 and 1970, and those cities ought to have the most homes from that era. Simple.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
The older Philadelphia suburbs have a ton of MCM. Do you like split levels?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The older Philadelphia suburbs have a ton of MCM. Do you like split levels?
I was thinking of Philly, Baltimore or maybe a place like Richmond. If the weather aspect was relaxed, there are probably quite a few Midwestern and interior Northeastern areas that would fit.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,465 times
I also think Phoenix, Arizona when I think of midcentury modern homes.- The ones that I have seen in the Phoenix, Scottsdale area are gorgeous.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
Thanks everyone. Bryson: Yes I like split levels!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking of Philly, Baltimore or maybe a place like Richmond. If the weather aspect was relaxed, there are probably quite a few Midwestern and interior Northeastern areas that would fit.
From what I have seen, Washington, Baltimore and particularly Richmond tended more to colonial in that era although of course there is some MCM in each city. I forgot about Long Island, they have a lot in Nassau County but the cost of housing, like the cost of living is sky high there.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When I think of mid-century modern, these are the first cities that come to mind. The Los Angeles suburb of Anaheim Hills is the quintessential neighborhood for them. Isn't that where the Brady Bunch house is?
The BB house is in the San Fernando Valley. That region of L.A. has tons of residences with a similar style:

http://laist.com/attachments/la_zach/zrowhouses.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.