Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

I love Asheville, NC and it would get my vote, though Roanoke, VA is a nice area as well. Those beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains are a national treasure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love Asheville, NC and it would get my vote, though Roanoke, VA is a nice area as well. Those beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains are a national treasure!
Agreed. I thought I'd always need to live close to an Ocean-until I visited Asheville, driving down the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed. I thought I'd always need to live close to an Ocean-until I visited Asheville, driving down the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I had exactly the same set of emotions! I love the ocean, but I could live right smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains and be happy as a clam. Sooooooooo beautiful!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had exactly the same set of emotions! I love the ocean, but I could live right smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains and be happy as a clam. Sooooooooo beautiful!!!
It sure is , the NC section of the Parkway , that goes right thru Asheville is the best of the best and has the highest elevations....I should know , lived there for 18 years. We traveled short section of the Parkway quite often, sometimes for a lunch atop a rocky bald, fall was my favorite.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It sure is , the NC section of the Parkway , that goes right thru Asheville is the best of the best and has the highest elevations....I should know , lived there for 18 years. We traveled short section of the Parkway quite often, sometimes for a lunch atop a rocky bald, fall was my favorite.
I love it there - been through that area often over the years. I lived in NC and VA for six years and then my daughter lived in VA for five years, and now my husband works up in PA and just got done working in WV for two years. SO...even though I live in Texas, I get to see a lot of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I feel really blessed to be able to spend time there. I make it a point to drive through exactly the area you're talking about as often as possible, and would entertain the idea of living there one day. In fact, my husband and I just spent several days in Asheville about two months ago. I LOVE IT!!!!! It may be one of the top five most beautiful areas in the country in fact.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,070 times
Thank you for the honesty Darstar. My wife and I were born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens (a borough of NYC) and now live on Long Island. To be honest, I'm sure we won't fit in anywhere in N.C. We are typical New Yawkers - no patience, always in a hurry with an in-your-face attitude if anything bugs us. We are skeptical of everybody and aren't overly friendly cause that shows a certain weakness that can be taken advantage of. And, we are of Italian heritage, so our emotions run high. We are always in survival mode and don't trust anybody unless we really know them. It's just the way it is after 60+ years living in this area. Hell, there's even a big difference between people who grew up in NYC and people who grew up on Long Island, and it's only about a 30 mile trek between the two. Yes, I know Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, but to the locals Long Island begins in Nassau County. So, if we detect any animosity over "the Great Unpleasantness" thing, then screw those who feel that way. My ancestors didn't live here during the Civil War and so we had nothing to do with that era, though we do believe people should be free and not be kept as slaves to do the bidding of others. And, if the fishing is good and some contractor doesn't have the decency to give us a courtesy call and leaves us waiting all day for him to arrive when we could be doing something else (like fishing) instead of waiting for him to show up, then screw him and he won't be allowed to finish the job and he will not be recommended or hired again. It's called common courtesy and doing good business. Guess we'll look for another area of the country to retire in. Thanks, again!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofny View Post
Thank you for the honesty Darstar. My wife and I were born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens (a borough of NYC) and now live on Long Island. To be honest, I'm sure we won't fit in anywhere in N.C. We are typical New Yawkers - no patience, always in a hurry with an in-your-face attitude if anything bugs us. We are skeptical of everybody and aren't overly friendly cause that shows a certain weakness that can be taken advantage of. And, we are of Italian heritage, so our emotions run high. We are always in survival mode and don't trust anybody unless we really know them. It's just the way it is after 60+ years living in this area. Hell, there's even a big difference between people who grew up in NYC and people who grew up on Long Island, and it's only about a 30 mile trek between the two. Yes, I know Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, but to the locals Long Island begins in Nassau County. So, if we detect any animosity over "the Great Unpleasantness" thing, then screw those who feel that way. My ancestors didn't live here during the Civil War and so we had nothing to do with that era, though we do believe people should be free and not be kept as slaves to do the bidding of others. And, if the fishing is good and some contractor doesn't have the decency to give us a courtesy call and leaves us waiting all day for him to arrive when we could be doing something else (like fishing) instead of waiting for him to show up, then screw him and he won't be allowed to finish the job and he will not be recommended or hired again. It's called common courtesy and doing good business. Guess we'll look for another area of the country to retire in. Thanks, again!
Sorry you feel the way you do.....somehow I do NOT think much of what I said has anything to do with your thinking, just reinforces it..... I know a little of Long Island, and the City. I know of the people too. For many years I ran a transportation Brokerage business out of Chicago. I dealt , with pleasure, eastern folks everyday. It was often suspected that when they came in too work, some would shut their hand in the car door before taking the first phone call, it just got them ready to face the world that lived outside the office, the City , the traffic , the rude nature and hand signals that came with the territory . Ya , you might not be good candidates for anywhere in the south....except, there sure were a lot of folks I knew that moved from NYC to Atlanta, and then after a year or too, headed up our way to N Georgia and SW North Carolina mountains, above 3,000 ft......and bought a home for the week-ends, they are still doing just that...

Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Asheville area or the High Country of NC or Western VA would get my vote. Roanoke and the surrounding areas near I-81 are nice places, as are the areas around Asheville which would probably be my choice. There's something just special about the area. When I lived in Western NC, I always loved the fact that it's nestled in the mountains and that you have to go up and over them to get there. In any case, there are a variety of small towns in the area- Waynesville, Hendersonville, Weaverville, Black Mountain, to name a few- that might be good locations to consider, as well.

Last edited by bartonizer; 10-10-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
The High Country of NC or Western VA would get my vote. Roanoke and the surrounding areas near I-81 are nice places, as are the areas around Asheville which would probably be my choice. There's something just special about the area. When I lived in Western NC, I always loved the fact that it's nestled in the mountains and that you have to go up and over them to get there. In any case, there are a variety of small towns in the area- Waynesville, Hendersonville, Weaverville, Black Mountain, to name a few- that might be good locations to consider, as well.
A few years ago Brevard got national attention when it was picked as the best place to retire. The population increased somewhat and lots of new housing came to town. It had a good ride from this free advertising.

You make reference to "The High Country" which actually defines all areas north of Asheville all the way to the Va. Border. Actually the Mountians around and south west of Asheville are higher than most areas that are called " the high country" to the north , except for Beech Mountian , the highest town in eastern America, 5,200 ft. topping Highlands which for many many years held that title., 41,650 ft). Great Ski resort country around Beech, lots of condos and small week end cottages.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
A few years ago Brevard got national attention when it was picked as the best place to retire. The population increased somewhat and lots of new housing came to town. It had a good ride from this free advertising.

You make reference to "The High Country" which actually defines all areas north of Asheville all the way to the Va. Border. Actually the Mountians around and south west of Asheville are higher than most areas that are called " the high country" to the north , except for Beech Mountian , the highest town in eastern America, 5,200 ft. topping Highlands which for many many years held that title., 41,650 ft). Great Ski resort country around Beech, lots of condos and small week end cottages.
You're right, and I know the High Country of NC is usually referring to the area N of Asheville- Boone, Jefferson, etc. In this case I was just generally referring to any of the higher land in Western NC and VA. I changed the post to say Asheville area and High Country. Any of those areas would probably work for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.