Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, Indy is natalistic. Indiana as a whole as the highest percentage of its population under age 18 of any state in the Midwest outside of a few outlier states on the Great Plains with low populations.
Is that a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Pretty sure it's more than a mile. But the point is, drive through Louisville, Nashville, or Birmingham. The interstate cuts straight through the heart of downtown, right in the midst of it all, in Indianapolis it does not.
I have made the trip down I-65 on my way to Florida...............and I don't know what you are talking about. I-65 cuts right along downtown, as does I-70. It takes maybe, a minute, to get off the interstate into downtown Indianapolis. I mean, I guess they could have bulldozed Monument Circle so people can save a minute getting into downtown, but, what would be gained from that?

And for the record, Nashville and Louisville have both had leadership trying to remove interstates from near their downtown. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, bulldozing your city's core in the name of commuters is a bad idea?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Depends on your criteria.
Indianapolis is one of the best places in the midwest for families.
Chicago is to expensive and the schools are horrible.
Indy's schools on the other hand are ranked as some of the best in the nation. Especially Carmel and Fishers high school.
Skewed statistics.
Here are rankings for IN schools:Search Indiana High Schools | US News
For Illinois: Search Illinois High Schools | US News

6 of the first 9 schools are Chicago Public Schools. Only the first 2 Indiana schools from the lis twould make Il top ten. None of the Indy area schools would make the top 10 list for Illinois. Do some research first. Yes CPS has some of the worst schools, but also some of the best.

Matter of fact, our local high school, Wheeling HS, ranks #996 nationally which is 42nd best in IL. IN Indiana it would rank # 10, just behind Fishers which ranks 971 nationally but 9th in Indiana. So IN seemingly has nothing to brag about compared with IL schools.

Last edited by cubssoxfan; 12-03-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
The Chicage msa is also growing faster than indy, which is a sign that more people want to live there.

2011 population growth:

Chicago +43,648
Indianapolis +22,327

Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
It's Minneapolis if you want a mid-size city. Madison for a small city. Chicago by default for a big city. The rest by and large want what these cities already have.
This

Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Skewed statistics.
Here are rankings for IN schools:Search Indiana High Schools | US News
For Illinois: Search Illinois High Schools | US News

6 of the first 9 schools are Chicago Public Schools. Only the first 2 Indiana schools from the lis twould make Il top ten. None of the Indy area schools would make the top 10 list for Illinois. Do some research first. Yes CPS has some of the worst schools, but also some of the best.

Matter of fact, our local high school, Wheeling HS, ranks #996 nationally which is 42nd best in IL. IN Indiana it would rank # 10, just behind Fishers which ranks 971 nationally but 9th in Indiana. So IN seemingly has nothing to brag about compared with IL schools.
This is great information and easily confirmed by posters on this very site.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Depends on your criteria.
Indianapolis is one of the best places in the midwest for families.
Chicago is to expensive and the schools are horrible.
Indy's schools on the other hand are ranked as some of the best in the nation. Especially Carmel and Fishers high school.
Wow, Chicago has "horrible" schools, while Indy's are some of the best, the ones in Carmel and Fishers that is......

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The Chicage msa is also growing faster than indy, which is a sign that more people want to live there.

2011 population growth:

Chicago +43,648
Indianapolis +22,327
Rates are what people are usually referring to when talking about growth of cities and MSAs

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indianapolis and its interstate system was engineered very differently from most cities. I know driving all the way up I-65 I go through Birmingham, Nashville, Louisville, and finally Indianapolis. For the first 3 cities the interstate cuts right through the middle of downtown, Indianapolis is the only city where there is no interstate going directly through the heart of the city. Instead the interstate loops around the edges of the city. Personally, I find this kind of annoying, as it takes the longest to go through Indianapolis since I am having to go all the way around, compared to the other cities where I cut straight through.

The only thing to be gained by the interstate going around the city is possibly less traffic. Going right through the downtown the speed limits on the interstate must be reduced, usually to 50-55MPH and traffic is much heavier.
I, too, must say I'm baffled by this. Are you confusing I-65 for I-74? That's the only interstate currently that follows I-465 around the city. I-65 and I-70 go right into downtown. I-65 comes just as close to downtown Indy as it does to downtown Louisville, Nashville, and Birmingham. I've driven through all 3 cities. So the only thing I can possibly thing of is for some reason, you think I-65 follows I-465 around the city, but I really have no idea why you would think that.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I, too, must say I'm baffled by this. Are you confusing I-65 for I-74? That's the only interstate currently that follows I-465 around the city. I-65 and I-70 go right into downtown. I-65 comes just as close to downtown Indy as it does to downtown Louisville, Nashville, and Birmingham. I've driven through all 3 cities. So the only thing I can possibly thing of is for some reason, you think I-65 follows I-465 around the city, but I really have no idea why you would think that.
I apologize, I meant I-465.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.