Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 03:49 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you consider that question a current accurate depiction of the reality of day-to-day life of a majority of Blacks up north or down south, then that goes a long way towards explaining the very existence of this thread.
There are many Northern cities where the poverty level of Blacks is near 30 or 40 percent. Many communities in the North have over 50 % of the school children on free or reduce lunch. Most of the top ten poorest cities are in the North. Why isn't the same motivation that made African Americans to leave the south for a better life making them leave the Urban centers of cities for a better life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I know more than a few Black people who have a pretty decent life down South and say so. In spite of everything that's not right about the South they feel as if it's their home and would rather live here than move off to the unknown. Especially if you own land, have timber, and oil and gas royalties from under the ground. They hunt, fish, raise gardens and chickens, keep cattle and horses. I do feel for the impoverished ones however. But not everyone Black is impoverished down South. Many are quite successful. I don't know if I have shed any light on anything, but I have tried.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are many Northern cities where the poverty level of Blacks is near 30 or 40 percent. Many communities in the North have over 50 % of the school children on free or reduce lunch. Most of the top ten poorest cities are in the North. Why isn't the same motivation that made African Americans to leave the south for a better life making them leave the Urban centers of cities for a better life?
It's not the stats I dispute; it's your characterizations.

And many of them are indeed leaving the urban core, but not to come down South; they're just moving to the suburbs. Moving down South isn't an instant panacea for their ills, especially as many of our largest cities are still struggling to recover from the recession.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Anyone ever look at the statistics of the United States for demographics?

13.1% black out of 311,591,917. Equals out to slightly over 40 million African Americans.

In the south these demographics are a lot higher. Especially in the deep south:

1. Mississippi 37% black
2. Louisiana 32% black
3. Georgia 31% black
4. South Carolina 28% black.

Now compare this to the midwest

1. Indiana 9% black
2. Ohio 12% black
3. Illinois 15% black
4. Michigan 14% black

Or even compare it to New England, total opposite.

1. Maine 1% black
2. Massachusetts 8% black
3. Vermont 1% black
4. New Hampshire 1% black

Major southern cities

1. Atlanta 38% black
2. Birmingham 73% black
3. Jackson 79% black
4. New Orleans 60% black
5. Memphis 63% black

Major Midwestern cities

1. Indianapolis 25% black
2. Columbus 28% black
3. Louisville 23% black
4. Des Moines 10% black
5. Madison 7% black
6. Minneapolis 18% black

It seems African Americans have a much higher presence in the south and especially the southern cities. Can someone shed some light on this disparity of racial location to me?

But yet not one black governor, congressman or senator from those southern states

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But yet not one black governor, congressman or senator from those southern states
Actually the south is full of black congressmen for the U.S. house. The state that has more black congressmen than any other state is Mississippi.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Actually the south is full of black congressmen for the U.S. house. The state that has more black congressmen than any other state is Mississippi.
I should have made myself clearer, I meant FEDERAL appointees.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Federal appointees aren't elected officials--they are just that, appointed--so I fail to see your point.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Quote:
But governors, congressmen, and senators are all elected officials.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Quote:
Anyone ever look at the statistics of the United States for demographics?

13.1% black out of 311,591,917. Equals out to slightly over 40 million African Americans.

In the south these demographics are a lot higher. Especially in the deep south:

1. Mississippi 37% black
2. Louisiana 32% black
3. Georgia 31% black
4. South Carolina 28% black.

Now compare this to the midwest

1. Indiana 9% black
2. Ohio 12% black
3. Illinois 15% black
4. Michigan 14% black

Or even compare it to New England, total opposite.

1. Maine 1% black
2. Massachusetts 8% black
3. Vermont 1% black
4. New Hampshire 1% black

Major southern cities

1. Atlanta 38% black
2. Birmingham 73% black
3. Jackson 79% black
4. New Orleans 60% black
5. Memphis 63% black

Major Midwestern cities

1. Indianapolis 25% black
2. Columbus 28% black
3. Louisville 23% black
4. Des Moines 10% black
5. Madison 7% black
6. Minneapolis 18% black

It seems African Americans have a much higher presence in the south and especially the southern cities. Can someone shed some light on this disparity of racial location to me?
Wut? You think the bolded cities are major midwestern cities? What about detroit, cleveland, cincinnati, st.louis and kansas city? all probably have higher black population then these lame bolded cities.

Second of all, if you have even learned the slighest bit of american history you would know hundreds of years of slave trade to the south caused the south to see a huge rise in its african american population. After the great migration, african americans became more spaced out through the country but the south still retained their HUGE populations and this is present day. Plus, thousands moved to cities causing cities around the country to have larger african american population then the countryside. This is true for everywhere but the southern countryside where african american populations are still found in large minorities if not majorities.

the variations of african americans in the south truely has to do with the fact the upper south was more anti-slavery therefore had less slaves. Plus millions of african americans moved to cities as i said before so the rural areas of the upper south as well as the rural areas of almost every state in the country with the exception of the deep south have less minorities.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not the stats I dispute; it's your characterizations.

And many of them are indeed leaving the urban core, but not to come down South; they're just moving to the suburbs. Moving down South isn't an instant panacea for their ills, especially as many of our largest cities are still struggling to recover from the recession.
People with means no matter who they are tend to leave the city and move to the suburbs. But the mass migrations were people who had nothing, share croppers. Perhaps the title of a book waiting to be written would be "No more promise land' For centuries black people have always known that there was some place better. It appears that now they believe there is no place better. Maybe they think their bag of survival skills will only work in the urban center of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.