Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 02:32 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

I've recently been really into German, Scandinavian, and Austrian cuisine and was struck by the huge variations in every single basic dish and ingredient. The number of different kinds of sausages and cheeses alone are just short of amazing. I know that the Midwest has a very large number of people with those ancestries so it's got me curious about what are some interesting dishes of the Midwest are. I know there are city-specific dishes like Chicago Hot Dogs, Chicago-style Pizzas, Cincinnati Chili, etc. and I've taken a look at this article: Cuisine of the Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there any other things to add? Are there some interesting basic dishes that you've seen that generally aren't listed? I figured that a lot of stuff from Northern and Central Europe must have carried over (and more so than what's listed in the article), but if so what? What of those old and numerous varieties of sausages, cured meats and fish, and cheeses from the Old World were continued and made locally? It also seems like some of the new crops native to the Midwest like the wild rice available there as well as the huge amount of lake fish available would mean some pretty interesting changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
The Chicago area is also big on peppers.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've recently been really into German, Scandinavian, and Austrian cuisine and was struck by the huge variations in every single basic dish and ingredient. The number of different kinds of sausages and cheeses alone are just short of amazing. I know that the Midwest has a very large number of people with those ancestries so it's got me curious about what are some interesting dishes of the Midwest are. I know there are city-specific dishes like Chicago Hot Dogs, Chicago-style Pizzas, Cincinnati Chili, etc. and I've taken a look at this article: Cuisine of the Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there any other things to add? Are there some interesting basic dishes that you've seen that generally aren't listed? I figured that a lot of stuff from Northern and Central Europe must have carried over (and more so than what's listed in the article), but if so what? What of those old and numerous varieties of sausages, cured meats and fish, and cheeses from the Old World were continued and made locally? It also seems like some of the new crops native to the Midwest like the wild rice available there as well as the huge amount of lake fish available would mean some pretty interesting changes.
Here look at the sausage varieties and specialties

Gene's Sausage Shop & Delicatessen - Fine European Gourmet Foods

Kasia's Deli :: Deli

http://www.austrianbakery.com/

Ther eare lots of german/polish and other eastern euro food places in Chicago.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,894 times
St. Louis - toasted ravioli, concretes, gooey buttercake, pork steaks, the St. Paul sandwich, slingers and provel cheese.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
St Elmo's in Indianapolis.
World Famous Shrimp Cocktail and its secret hot sauce that goes with it.
Not to mention to die for Steaks.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
When you're near one of the Great Lakes, fresh perch, walleye and whitefish are popular.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,953 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul - Juicy Lucy's, Wild Rice (plain, burgers, soup, hot dish, etc.), Walleye (griled, battered and fried, sandwiches, soup, etc.), hot dishes of all kinds, lefse, occasionally lutefisk (I eat it every year), and of course deep fried food on a stick. All of the foreign food is to long of a list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.