Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 16,457 times

Advertisements

I would like to inform you that alot of southerners left the south to head north to try to make a better life for them self,some of there families remained in the south because they did not like the north. I am also aware that some people born and raised in the south are just as a menance to society as well as the people from the north and it is unfair to say that northerners has corupted the south. It breaks down to this, you have people born and raised where ever they were born commiting crimes all over the world. I could say all southerners are all drunks and ignorant, but then i would be putting down all of my family that still live in the south. Alot of people who relocated from the north back to the south originally was born and raised there wanting to retire back to there roots. It does not matter if you are from northern or southern states, crime exist because ppl are just evil and lack good judgement or mentally ill or what ever the reason they commit these acts of crime. Some people do not like change and you could not think that the world stands still and does not evolve, move to the upper class areas where money weeds out all the undesireables. Not all of sc can be that bad, there are celebrities who owns homes there. Move to north carolina,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Top 101 cities with the most people born in the same U.S. state as the city (population 5000+)

1. Ville Platte, LA (housing, pop. 8,145): 96.2%
2. Donaldsonville, LA (housing, pop. 7,605): 96.0%
3. St. Martinville, LA (housing, pop. 6,989): 95.8%

Top 101 cities with the most people born in the same U.S. state as the city (population 50,000+)

5. Jackson, MS (housing, pop. 184,256): 82.9%
7. Birmingham, AL (housing, pop. 242,820): 82.7%
8. Monroe, LA (housing, pop. 53,107): 82.2%
10. Victoria, TX (housing, pop. 60,603): 81.8%
12. Macon, GA (housing, pop. 97,255): 81.1%

(Note: Alll the other cities on the second list in the Top 12 are suburbs of northern cities, except Scranton PA.)

Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 AM

7 posts, read 16,457 times
By the way, you can not escape crime because it exist all over the world. Just stay alert and aware of your surroundings, be less too friendly and trusting, even your so called perfect neighbor could be a serial killer, you know the one who baked cookies for the neighbors and did boy scotts and played the banjo and did community activities a up standing citizen but a ruthless killer behind the scenes. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a better area, because we all want to live in good areas. Just dont blame it on northerners okay. It has nothing to do with states, it has to do with how just some people are and i am sure that many of southern families have relatives all spread out thru out the nation. I love the south, the people are warm, manerable, patient, courteous etc. Guess what! My family still has those qualities, great up bringing. Not attacking you just expressing my thoughts on the matter. Good luck finding that place

Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm sure many people have different versions of these same stories.
Yes, natives in my area complain about the exact same thing. Natives in my hometown (in TN) also complained about the same thing. I think it's simply something that was bound to happen in a country with a lot of wealth and a growing population.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The younger generation still has the accent, but in many ways they try to mask it certain settings. I went to undergrad with folks from the Lowcountry (mostly Charleston area) and in many cases, you couldn't tell they were Geechee until they became excited; that's when the accent came out full blast.
I think the masking of accents is to sound more "professional" as they say. I actually grew to like their accent...at first I thought there was some kinda mass exodus from Jamaica or some island somewhere...and then I was told and shown. Full blast? LMAO, I can imagine, once they get goin they REALLY get goin. Thats why I say that even though people may have their "proper" english professional voice for "formal" reasons...the REAL accent will always be there at there disposal, it is just too too strong...especially down there in Beaufort.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
True. And here is hoping this country wakes up and realizes we don't belong in the same country. I live in your despised northeast and love it. I would love to see our region be free of the rest of you rednecks and low lifes. Please start a movement to break the US apart. There is no future together, as our dysfunctional fed govt shows.
Congratulations on being the poster child for why Southerners don't like transplants from the Northeast. Who would want someone with this attitude moving in next door just because housing is cheaper and they don't have to deal with a few months of winter weather?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
So I've noticed the OP hasn't logged in since making this thread.

I was questioning the credibility of this thread when I noticed the OP lives in the most conservative and culturally southern region of a very conservative and culturally southern state, and I'm questioning it even more now. I could understand if she was from Atlanta, Charlotte, or the Raleigh/Durham area to name a few, but there is no way Greenville or anywhere else in Upstate SC has lost it's southerness. The only place in that region that maybe, and this is a huge maybe, losing its southern culture by the day would be Clemson and that is because it is a university town with students and faculty from all over the country and the world.

If the OP is sincere I apologize but I've seen too many threads like these where someone complains where they live isn't to their liking and they ask for recommendations and then don't come back.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's perfectly possible for Northerners to appreciate Southern culture. I'm a native of Pennsylvania who moved to Georgia at 16, and I like to go to the local Southern buffet on Mondays because that's when they serve fried pork chops. I also like collard greens, stewed tomatoes and okra, and mashed potatoes and gravy. (Sorry, but I still don't like Brunswick stew, or cobbler of any kind.) I also bought a gallon of sweet tea at Chick-Fil-A the other day. It's good when I want a change from soft drinks. Unfortunately, I can't have too much tea at a time because I get acid reflux from it.

I just don't know if many Southerners appreciate Northern culture the same way.
I think some do. While I don't think I'd want to move North (though truth be told, I could probably get by moving just about anywhere -- your experience is what you make of it), I do like the contrast in Northern food compared to Southern.

I love to travel, and one of the things I love is being able to experience different food, music, art, lifestyle in many regions across the nation. I really do appreciate these differences.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
It is not just North -> South that can be problematic in terms of cultural change.

My northern town was ruined by transplants from the south. We used to be a nice town with beautiful brick houses and charming little shopping districts, and a lot of civic pride. Then from the 60s through the 80s, half the population was replaced with people moving up north, mainly from Virginia, N.C., and Georgia. Now we have the highest crime rate in the county and one of the highest in the state. My city's initials are M.V., and some of the charming descendants of the southerners proudly state that M.V. stands for Murda Ville.

My point is, the sword wings both ways.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Go someplace with a depressed economy. Outsiders move in for job opportunities. I don't want to hate on any place in particular, but there are many Southern locales that are not doing as well as the Carolinas. This means stay away from Atlanta, Nashville, NoVa, and Texas too. Rural areas in particular would meet your criteria. If you must live in a metro area, consider older unstylish neighborhoods full of little old ladies. Those aren't the places the transplants are looking. In a strange twist from 30 years ago, suburbs are now frequently the most diverse places in America. I'd also suggest taking a deep breath and try to accept the world as it is. Having neighbors who are not exactly like you is not the worst thing in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.