Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 17,491 times

Advertisements

I'm currently going to college in upstate NY, trying to earn my degree in accounting. I wish to move to somewhere in West Texas or New Mexico---somewhere dry, sunny, and with great scenery. Besides the climate and enironment, I suppose the next most important thing for me is affordability. I don't need to live in a big city, but there still needs to be enough of a business presence so I may find a job (of course). I also don't speak a single word of Spanish, though I heard this shouldn't really pose a problem, even in this region of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Albuquerque or Las Cruces maybe but I think Cruces is more of a retirement and snowbird community.New Mexico does have a bad economy.A lot of New Mexico's economy is based on government spending.Carlsbad and Hobbs are home to the energy industry so there is business presence there.Hobbs is not the best place.Carlsbad is nice but it isolated.There's Lubbock,Amarillo,Midland,Odessa,Abilene,San Angelo and El Paso in West Texas.I dont know if you would consider Lubbock and Amarillo to be W.Texas or not.Lubbock has a stable economy and is growing.El Paso has scenery but the economy could be an issue maybe even more so without speaking any Spanish.There are loads of accountants in Midland and Odessa working for oil companies and private oil and gas families.The scenery is flat and ugly in my opinion but you are not too far from NM,Sandhillsand the Big Bend.Abilene is kind of stagnant but with more scenery than M/O.The scenery is not much better though.San Angelo has lakes and better scenery than Abilene.San Angelo also has a better economy I would think than Abilene.Angelo is called "The Oasis of West Texas."I think Lubbock is affordable.Abilene is more affordable than Angelo.M/O is not all that affordable by Texas standards but its a bargain compared to the coasts.Be sure to sign a lease as soon as you can if you move to Midland/Odessa because rent gets sky high during the booms.Some of the other towns in New Mexico like Farmington,Alamogordo and Roswell could work.Alamogordo does not have much business.Farmington and Roswell have some business because of oil and gas.I think you may have to compromise between your priorities of good jobs and scenery.Amarillo is real close to the Palo Duro Canyon which is the nation's second largest.

Last edited by C24L; 02-20-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times
Not many bigger cities within your search criteria but that is something you should consider for a job.
I would check out the El Paso Las Cruces area. El Paso is a very underrated city and is consistently rated as one of the safest in the country and perhaps with the best climate. Neither are cosmopolitan or the liveliest cities as they are more of a hometown type areas. Both are still a good place to live in so it depends on your lifestyle you want.

check out these relevant threads to help you out:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...oice-than.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...as-cruces.html

Also, Albuquerque would be the other option but it does get much colder up there if that's an issue. I wouldn't check out anything else as you're bound to get bored for someone your age (assuming you're college aged)

Last edited by WildWestDude; 02-23-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 AM

301 posts, read 189,428 times
I grew up in Midland, TX. It isn't what it used to be. There's been significant growth and development within the last 10 or so years. I left that place and never looked back, however ... I have considered a move back to the area if/when I decide to have children and/or I tire of humidity and rain. It is HOT in WT, with 8-9 months of the year sometimes pushing 90+ degrees, but it's a dry heat and somehow much more tolerable than 85 degrees and humid. If you move to Midland/Odessa, just know that you're 5+ hours drive in any direction to a "real" big city. And the drives to San Antonio/Dallas/Austin, etc are boring and flat. What you won't get in Midland is scenery, that's for sure, unless your idea of scenery is 15 different shades of reddish brown and tumbleweeds. You'd need to go further southwest for that. Are you planning on kids? Schools in Midland are decent, private schooling is better but not necessary. I experienced both private and public education in town. As for the arts if you're interested, there's a classical ballet academy that is well known in the South and an incredible community theatre. That theatre is what I miss most about the place. Also, I can't really comment on the nightlife for 20-somethings. I left at 21 and haven't spent enough time there since to really know. Unless things have change radically since I've been home, there are no night clubs, not a ton of bars, and there isn't really a "downtown" scene at all.

I don't know much about Albuquerque except that it feels like Midland to me, but with mountains. I have extended family in the ABQ area, and we have a mountain house in the Taos ski valley area, Aroyo Secco specifically. It's a 9 hour drive from our front door in Midland to the front door of the mountain house. I've visited Santa Fe a few times too and I think that looks like a nice place to live, if you like the arid desert climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.