Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER View Post
First of all, it is not a competition. I am just simply stating my observations and opinions. Have you ever even been up north to be able to compare the difference? I have lived many years in both places and go up north to visit a couple of times a year, usually once in summer and once in winter. I rarely see anyone doing much at all outside if its even a little cold in the winter here in TN, but during a recent visit up north one of the first things that I noticed was how many people were out on the streets and even kids playing.

The first place I stopped to stay on the way up was Green Bay,WI. With about 2 feet of snow on the ground, people were out everywhere, and many walking on the streets to their destinations. Most of the southern areas that I have seen don't even have many sidewalks and people in general seem to not be as active outdoors in my observations. The few times that I have decided to walk anywhere down here, I was looked at like I was a criminal or something by people passing by.

Another great example to prove this point, is the policies at the school systems in the two different places.

Here in TN when my kids first start the school year in early August, they end up staying inside during recess many days until around late September because the school insists that the weather is too hot. Then the weather gets nice for a month or two before it gets apparently gets too cold(which is anything below 40 to 50 degrees depending on the teacher) for them to be able to go out. This goes on and off until about mid March or so, then by May you are back in the 90s or hotter again.

I have never seen kids have to stay in so much in my life, and have even complained to the principle at my kids school, that kids need to get out and will be better in the classroom for it. They are only going out for 20 or 30 minutes anyway and are not going to freeze to death or die of heat stroke in that time.

Growing up in the north, it was never too hot to go outside, and very rarely was it ever too cold to outside. Even with the cold winters, people dressed and prepared for it, and teachers and parents felt that it was still important for kids to go out and get some exercise and fresh air. Studies have shown that kids do better when given a recess. I think I read that in northern Minnesota, that kids go out if the weather is above -20.

Finally, I'm pretty sure people on this thread are talking about being able to have a variety of seasons and activities right where you live, not having to drive 300 miles to go snow boarding. I also would definitely not want to spend Christmas in Florida. Have you ever seen a Christmas decoration, card, or movie? It is supposed to be cold and snowy during the holidays!
Here in Texas, we had snow on Christmas day last year.

It actually snows several times a year here. We also have lots of trees and have gorgeous fall colors. Beautiful springs filled with dogwoods, redwoods, azaleas, tulips, bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, etc. Summers filled with crape myrtle, confederate jasmine, petunias, daisies, roses (I live in the Rose Capital of the World, for the record) - you name it. Fabulous farmer's markets full of fresh produce. Terrific local sources for organic foods, cage free eggs, hormone free meats, even raw milk if you want it. We have many lakes, mountains within a few hours' drive, as well as beaches.

The natives here know how to dress for the weather as well. Imagine that! I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose. We wear sandals from March thru October. Dress is casual and comfortable. We have lots of water parks, lakes, rivers, pools, etc (for instance, it's very common for people to have inground pools around here, regardless of income level - in my neighborhood about half the homes have inground pools and that's normal).

The South has a wide variety of weather and terrain. Every region has it's pros and cons - there is no region of the US that is superior over another one for everyone. We each have our own preferences and that's fine. Why some people seem to feel the need to put other regions down is really beyond me. Very juvenile in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
From my perspective, "perfect" weather is extremely overrated. Constant sunshine and little change in season is boring and it makes you completely unappreciative of the seasons.

-Except in perhaps Appalachia, the South can't compare to Northern falls.
-Summers are much more tolerable in the North, and warm weather is much more appreciated in the North because the seasonal changes are much more drastic. After a winter, that first warm spring day is amazing.
-Northerners probably get outside and enjoy the weather more during the warmer months.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
From my perspective, "perfect" weather is extremely overrated. Constant sunshine and little change in season is boring and it makes you completely unappreciative of the seasons.

-Except in perhaps Appalachia, the South can't compare to Northern falls.
-Summers are much more tolerable in the North, and warm weather is much more appreciated in the North because the seasonal changes are much more drastic. After a winter, that first warm spring day is amazing.
-Northerners probably get outside and enjoy the weather more during the warmer months.
Yes, this is simply from your perspective.

I find northern winters to be long, boring, and definitely inconvenient and messy. My brother lives in Ohio and while he's still freezing and his place is one big mud hole (interspersed with brownish snow patches), I am literally soaking up the sun and working in my flower beds!

And here in northeast Texas we have lots of hardwoods and beautiful, rolling hills. Our falls are lovely. As are northern falls. They're both nice.

I don't have to freeze my arse off to appreciate spring and fall, by the way. I guess some people do. Personally I enjoy our very moderate winters here - cold enough for cute clothes and boots, but nice enough to get outside and enjoy things without having to bundle up like a polar bear or spend ten minutes getting dressed and then undressed every time I venture out or in. I know the drill - I've lived up north, and in northern Europe, and spent a lot of time in Colorado as well.

As for northerners "getting outside and enjoying the weather more during the warmer months," I sure don't know about that. Apparently you haven't fought the crowds in San Antonio or New Orleans during the summer, or floated the river or gone to Panama City or a water park in Arlington, Texas. If you had, you would have seen a LOT of people out "enjoying the weather" quite a bit.

People who live in the South are used to the heat. In fact, this may come as a surprise to you, but lots of us LIKE the heat. I've lived most of my life in the Deep South, with high temps and high humidity. I honestly don't even break a sweat till the temperature hits 95. I greatly enjoy being out and about in weather well into the 90s. No, I don't much care for the AFTERNOON temps of 100 that we hit fairly regularly in the middle of the summer, but that doesn't mean I don't get out and enjoy the weather in the mornings or the long, lazy evenings - we spend HOURS outdoors enjoying ourselves nearly every day - ummmmm - ALL YEAR LONG.

Except for when we get two inches of snow - which is several times a year. Then we all bundle up, build a fire, and the kids get to stay home from school! They play outside and build rather pathetic snow men while we make chili indoors because we don't know how to drive in the "snowstorm!" It's great fun and even better because the snow is gone the next day - completely gone! And it's usually 50 degrees by the next day as well. And sunny. And beautiful.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Look I respect someone's right to have a difference in opinion, but some of your stuff is so over the top and exaggerated. Tennessee is consistently ranked number in the top 5 for obesity if not number 1, depending on where you look. This is probably not due to being extremely active outdoors! By the way, the rest of the southeast ( the hottest part of the country) is right with them.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that people may walk a little more in Knoxville, especially if you are talking about right downtown. I will promise you though, besides for maybe the college campus, the only people you will see walking here are the extremely poor who don't have a choice. Hell I will laugh as I watch people circle the parking lot 5 times trying to park as close as possible to the store so they can avoid walking.
I live in one of the fittest cities in the US... and people still do that here. People in cars will even "stalk" a person walking in hopes of having a closer parking space. That sort of thing isn't so unusual.

But I do agree that TN is an outdoors mecca, there's lots to enjoy here from swimming, hiking, ATV'ing et. c. I particularly love the caves, so during the really hot times, I always go on a cave tour, it is cooling.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM

71 posts, read 114,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I live in one of the fittest cities in the US... and people still do that here. People in cars will even "stalk" a person walking in hopes of having a closer parking space. That sort of thing isn't so unusual.

But I do agree that TN is an outdoors mecca, there's lots to enjoy here from swimming, hiking, ATV'ing et. c. I particularly love the caves, so during the really hot times, I always go on a cave tour, it is cooling.
Look the OP was asking about SUMMER in the north compared to SUMMER in the south. I didn't think that it was much of a comparison as far as summer goes. IF 95+ DEGREES IS SO DESIRABLE, WHY DO SOUTHERNERS EVEN BOTHER TO INSTALL A/C UNITS IN THEIR HOUSES? Its not even worth debating for crying out loud. I am not saying that you can't somewhat get used to it or that I hate the south or something. I simply prefer a little bit cooler summer, and I think that anyone else who is honest would agree. Not too mention, that the further north that you go, the longer the days are in the summer.

On the other hand, to be able to have those cooler summers, you have to be able to withstand the much colder winters, which is a major problem for many people.

Look at all of the comments on this post or any other north/south post. Most of the northern comments at least start off as politely stated opinions. If anyone says one damned negative thing about the south, they end up with 3 or 4 people down right attacking or even insulting them, over something like opinions on weather. My goodness.

I agree myself that Tennessee, compared to many places, is an outdoors mecca, but it doesn't even begin to touch much of the far north or west/northwest in MY OPINION. There is also no way that you are going to convince me that the hottest and most humid region in the country has the most desirable summer weather. Which was the original debate.

Its okay SOUTH. You can admit that there maybe SOMETHING good about the north.

By the way Inkpoe, this actually wasn't directed towards you. I meant to just do a normal reply. You are probably right about the whole parking lot thing and I probably could of thought of some better examples. This started about temperature and has gotten a little off topic.

Last edited by TENNYOOPER; 04-05-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM

71 posts, read 114,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here in Texas, we had snow on Christmas day last year.

It actually snows several times a year here. We also have lots of trees and have gorgeous fall colors. Beautiful springs filled with dogwoods, redwoods, azaleas, tulips, bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, etc. Summers filled with crape myrtle, confederate jasmine, petunias, daisies, roses (I live in the Rose Capital of the World, for the record) - you name it. Fabulous farmer's markets full of fresh produce. Terrific local sources for organic foods, cage free eggs, hormone free meats, even raw milk if you want it. We have many lakes, mountains within a few hours' drive, as well as beaches.

The natives here know how to dress for the weather as well. Imagine that! I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose. We wear sandals from March thru October. Dress is casual and comfortable. We have lots of water parks, lakes, rivers, pools, etc (for instance, it's very common for people to have inground pools around here, regardless of income level - in my neighborhood about half the homes have inground pools and that's normal).

The South has a wide variety of weather and terrain. Every region has it's pros and cons - there is no region of the US that is superior over another one for everyone. We each have our own preferences and that's fine. Why some people seem to feel the need to put other regions down is really beyond me. Very juvenile in my opinion.
I think that I referred to the SOUTHEAST region of the country. From what I know about Texas, it usually has a much drier heat with less humidity.

I work for a big company that has its call centers in the middle part of Texas where they had about 2 months straight of 100+ degree days this summer along with severe drought conditions, if I remember correctly. Every time I talked to one of them, they complained about the heat and how dry, brown and dead everything was. At least they do get a taste of some kind of winter weather, including snow anyway.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Look at all of the comments on this post or any other north/south post. Most of the northern comments at least start off as politely stated opinions. If anyone says one damned negative thing about the south, they end up with 3 or 4 people down right attacking or even insulting them, over something like opinions on weather. My goodness.
Its okay SOUTH. You can admit that there maybe SOMETHING good about the north.
You do realize that most of the people you are talking about as being insulting or attacking are transplants from the north? Some of them have lived in quite a few different areas of the south too and have a pretty good basis for comparison.

I'm another one of those transplants, originally from Michigan, and having lived in several southern states. I find I disagree with most of your opinions also. Not because I'm pro-south, but simply because I find my experience to be quite a bit different from yours.
(and no it's not a case of sour grapes, if I thought I could handle shoveling snow I'd have moved back to MI in a heartbeat, I still miss it)

The point a lot of people are trying to make is that you simply can't take an experience of living one place in the south and making a blanket statement about the entire south based on that one place.

A lot of people do enjoy the warmer temps in the south, it's something they grew up with and are used to. Much the same way kids in the north are used to winter snow and cold. It shouldn't be that hard to believe that a lot of people can handle the heat and humidity just fine without letting it slow them down too much, just like we rarely let the winter temps slow us down up north.

Op was asking how the difference was handled, not whether one was better than the other.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I think that I referred to the SOUTHEAST region of the country. From what I know about Texas, it usually has a much drier heat with less humidity.

I work for a big company that has its call centers in the middle part of Texas where they had about 2 months straight of 100+ degree days this summer along with severe drought conditions, if I remember correctly. Every time I talked to one of them, they complained about the heat and how dry, brown and dead everything was. At least they do get a taste of some kind of winter weather, including snow anyway.
I live in northeast Texas about an hour west of Shreveport, Louisiana. It is VERY humid here. It can be humid and yet very hot and with drought conditions at the same time, which is what we had a couple of years ago. Last summer was hot but we got more rain.

From a very interesting website about weather averages, for my area:

Quote:
Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 44% (comfortable) to 94% (very humid) over the course of a typical July, rarely dropping below 31% (comfortable) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around July 31, at which time the relative humidity drops below 49% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around July 1, rising above 90% (very humid) three days out of four.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.