Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:29 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times

Advertisements

i've spent time in the adirondacks, blue ridge mountains, southern rockies (san juan region), northern rockies of wy and mt (absarokas. winds, bighorns, beartooths, tetons, etc).
but i've never been to any of the ranges farther west.
i'd like to hear opinions on your favorite ranges, and specifically comparisons of the rockies to the sierra nevadas and the cascades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I've seen the mountains in Colorado and Tenn and North Carolina, I prefer the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, I call them the "gentle mountains". They are not as big as the Rockies which are beautiful, but I prefer the others because they have more trees and more ridges and are little less scary.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
i've spent time in the adirondacks, blue ridge mountains, southern rockies (san juan region), northern rockies of wy and mt (absarokas. winds, bighorns, beartooths, tetons, etc).
but i've never been to any of the ranges farther west.
i'd like to hear opinions on your favorite ranges, and specifically comparisons of the rockies to the sierra nevadas and the cascades.
My favs: Sierra Nevadas and the real Northern Rockies in Canada. I liked the Northern Rockies in Canada a tad more because it's less arrid than what you would encounter in the Lower 48 Rockies -- more lush landscapes. However, it is all good out there in the mountains. Any mountain time is time well spent.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
My favs: Sierra Nevadas and the real Northern Rockies in Canada. I liked the Northern Rockies in Canada a tad more because it's less arrid than what you would encounter in the Lower 48 Rockies -- more lush landscapes. However, it is all good out there in the mountains. Any mountain time is time well spent.
yes, i should have been a little more specific about the northern rockies...shoulda specified the northern rockies in the lower 48! that's interesting info that the canadian rockies are more lush. i hope to get up there sometime soon!

and hey, I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA, thanks for the comments! i'm curious about your "more ridges" comment. i'm certainly not disputing it, as i do NOT have a lot of experience in the southeastern mountains.
but last fall, as a friend and i drove through paradox valley from moab, ut to
telluride, there's a point where the rockies just unfold before you...and there are so many peaks that it looks endless!!
and by the way...those white knuckle drop-offs arent for everyone! i can understand your nervousness on some of those co roads. but to me, "scary" can also mean "scary-big"...like the majesty of the san juans!!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
yes, i should have been a little more specific about the northern rockies...shoulda specified the northern rockies in the lower 48! that's interesting info that the canadian rockies are more lush. i hope to get up there sometime soon!

and hey, I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA, thanks for the comments! i'm curious about your "more ridges" comment. i'm certainly not disputing it, as i do NOT have a lot of experience in the southeastern mountains.
but last fall, as a friend and i drove through paradox valley from moab, ut to
telluride, there's a point where the rockies just unfold before you...and there are so many peaks that it looks endless!!
and by the way...those white knuckle drop-offs arent for everyone! i can understand your nervousness on some of those co roads. but to me, "scary" can also mean "scary-big"...like the majesty of the san juans!!
Looking out at the over looks on Blue Ridge Parkway the mountains just seem to go on forever. Yes the Million Dollar Hwy between Durango and Silverton was too much for me

Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM

403 posts, read 1,563,658 times
I live in Centralia, WA, right near the Cascade Range. They are beautiful. This past weekend, we went down to Mt. St. Helens and climbed through the "ape caves". It is actually a huge "tube" that is underground. It was caused from the lava. When the lava cooled, it left this tube and people go climb through it. It is about a mile and a half long in pitch black. You have to climb over, around and under rocks. It is great. It's tough enough that you'll be sore, but not so tough, as my 4 year old son (with help) went through it. Take a backpack with water and some flashlights and have a blast!!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Looking out at the over looks on Blue Ridge Parkway the mountains just seem to go on forever. Yes the Million Dollar Hwy between Durango and Silverton was too much for me
More roads with guard rails out west, than in the Blue Ridge, I know, lived at 4,000 ft for 18 years, fog every day, no snow plows, and lots of black ice!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
The Cascades and Olympics are both spectacular!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I grew up not too far from the Smokies and traveled quite a bit throughout the Appalachians, and I've crossed the Rockies and now live near the Cascades and the Pacific Range in Canada, and on a clear day from the right spot, I can see the Olympic Mountains, too. Overall I prefer the big rocky, snow-capped mountains we have out here, but I've never met a mountain I didn't like.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Doesn't get any better than Hawaii.

Cathedrals, Napali coast Kauai - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.