Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
that means you'd prefer daylight savings time year around. Though I get earlier than 5:30 am sunrises for a couple months even with daylight savings time. Eastern Maine has 4:40 am sunrises in early June, at one extreme.

I wouldn't be bothered by 8 am sunrises too much, but they'd be impractical for lots of people.
Here in the summer the daylight lasts forever, but when they switch back in November the sun goes down at about 6pm.
It's kinda silly actually. I would rather the sun come out later and avoid those 6pm sunsets than to get those 5:30 sunrises but be dark by 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Yesterday the sun set a few minutes past 6. Today it will set a few minutes past 7. At the summer solstice it will set past 9pm. At the winter solstice, the sun sets before 4:30pm.

I prefer after work daylight to before work daylight! But even more I detest the twice yearly clock changes. Since the divide between those wishing for year round standard time and year round daylight time is so great, I think we should just split the difference with a year round compromise time, putting the clocks permanently at one half hour between the two.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Here in the summer the daylight lasts forever, but when they switch back in November the sun goes down at about 6pm.
It's kinda silly actually. I would rather the sun come out later and avoid those 6pm sunsets than to get those 5:30 sunrises but be dark by 6.
Your sunlight patterns are very different than mine. When we swtich back in November the sun goes down just before 5 pm. I dislike early sunsets, too.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I hate the hassle and the weirdness and the unnecessary changes. The reasons behind it are obsolete. LEAVE US ALONE!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
One of the main reasons I hate daylight saving time....it is currently almost 1am and my internal clock still isn't ready for bed.

But on the grander scheme I just think it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. We artificially add more daylight later in the day during the spring and summer months when that happens naturally anyway; and we kick it back later in the fall and winter when again, that's what happens naturally too! If ANYTHING...it would make more sense to skip ahead in the fall and turn 'em back in the spring. Here in Western NYS, in the western half of the eastern time-zone....it won't get dark until almost 10pm in mid summer (I imagine it's even later in areas like Michigan and Northern Indiana). I mean it's nice I guess but not necessary. Give me an extra hour of daylight in the dead of winter so it's not pitch-dark out by 5:00!

But ideally we would just do away with the whole stupid thing in the first place. I was baffled when they extended it a couple years ago.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
One of the main reasons I hate daylight saving time....it is currently almost 1am and my internal clock still isn't ready for bed.

But on the grander scheme I just think it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. We artificially add more daylight later in the day during the spring and summer months when that happens naturally anyway; and we kick it back later in the fall and winter when again, that's what happens naturally too! If ANYTHING...it would make more sense to skip ahead in the fall and turn 'em back in the spring. Here in Western NYS, in the western half of the eastern time-zone....it won't get dark until almost 10pm in mid summer (I imagine it's even later in areas like Michigan and Northern Indiana). I mean it's nice I guess but not necessary. Give me an extra hour of daylight in the dead of winter so it's not pitch-dark out by 5:00!

But ideally we would just do away with the whole stupid thing in the first place. I was baffled when they extended it a couple years ago.
You're right. According to my link, Ft. Wayne's sunset on June 22 is 9:17. It's even later in Terre Haute, in central Indiana, but right on the Indiana/Illinois state line where the eastern time zone extends. There, it's 9:20 PM. That's about the farthest west extent of the eastern time zone. It used to be that way western Indiana didn't switch in summer, but some law made it a requirement for the states to go as a whole, either yes or no.

Buffalo, NY, the farthest western NY city my calculator lists, is 8:58 on June 22.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,845 times
DST is mandated by US federal law, thanks to the 1966 Uniform Time Act. Any state can opt out of DST by passing a state law.

NASA - Daylight Saving Time

History of time in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always wondered why it has been such a big deal in Indiana. There are other states split into two time zones. Maybe Indiana should have had most of the state in the Central Time Zone, and Eastern Time for the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
DST is mandated by US federal law, thanks to the 1966 Uniform Time Act. Any state can opt out of DST by passing a state law.

NASA - Daylight Saving Time

History of time in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always wondered why it has been such a big deal in Indiana. There are other states split into two time zones. Maybe Indiana should have had most of the state in the Central Time Zone, and Eastern Time for the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati.
In point of fact, most of Indiana is on eastern time, with areas around Chicago and the very southwest part of the state on central time. Some of the counties used to go DST and some not, until 2006 when the state had to go all DST, due to their legislature passing a law saying so.
Daylight Saving Time | Infoplease.com

The issue in Indiana, which is different than that of Nebraska, which is in two time zones, is that the parts of IN in the central time zone are split up, with several counties in the northwest (Chicago suburbs) and several counties in the extreme southwest (Evansville area) on central time and the rest of the state being eastern.
Current Time in Indiana

Prior to 2005, all the eastern time zone counties except those around Louisville, Ky and Cincinnati stayed on standard time during the summer, and the counties in the central time zone switched to DST to keep in sync with Chicago in the north, and the part of Kentucky on central time in the south. In Nebraska, it's basically a line going north-south, dividing the state into central and mountain time.
http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/...ime_zone.shtml

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
There is no benefit to Daylight savings......................... "none".

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
I still wonder why George Bush changed the date of the time change back in 2007. It's still kind of weird "springing forward" when we are still practically in the dead of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.