Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is the Pacific Northwest more like?
The Midwest 30 69.77%
The Southwest 13 30.23%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times

Advertisements

Would you say the people of Oregon and Washington overall have more in common with Californians and Southwesterners or with people from the Great Plains and Great Lakes?

It seems like the majority of people who move here are either from California or the Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
What do you guys think?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Well, neither. It's a lot like the Northwest. They are in their own little world up there. Not meant as a slam nor a compliment, just they seem to march to their own drumbeat that even most transplants adapt right into. I think the term Cascadia and the hopes of a soveriegn one to some explains it all. The Northwest is quite provincial.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What do you guys think?
None of the above. The true answer is a little from everywhere. I am 5th generation NWer on one side, 1st generation on the other. Since my mom is originally from upstate NY, I've met and learned about many other people who have also migrated here from that part of the country. In real estate and sales I've met a lot of people from the south. The Puget Sound area has a huge military concentration which helps to attract folks from all around the country.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well, neither. It's a lot like the Northwest. They are in their own little world up there. Not meant as a slam nor a compliment, just they seem to march to their own drumbeat that even most transplants adapt right into. I think the term Cascadia and the hopes of a soveriegn one to some explains it all. The Northwest is quite provincial.
I totally disagree. The NW is far from provincial. Most of those Cascadia flag wavers are people who relocated here from California or Brooklyn. The true native NWer is classic liberal/libertarian, individualistic, and lives the way they damn please. You can't stereotype a NWer since there is no dominant subculture.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I totally disagree. The NW is far from provincial. Most of those Cascadia flag wavers are people who relocated here from California or Brooklyn. The true native NWer is classic liberal/libertarian, individualistic, and lives the way they damn please. You can't stereotype a NWer since there is no dominant subculture.
Then we can agree to disagree. Sure there is a diverse range within (like anywhere), however after living there for 5 years I still think the Northwest has an unmistakable provincial culture and character that is very palpable. Especially when being compared to the Southwest or Midwest.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Probably has most in common with the Pacific Northwest. But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
It has more in common with the Pacific Northwest. Imagine that!

Source: Life long Pacific Northwesterner born and raised. (To parents and grandparents on both sides who can claim the same!)

Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
I mean, there are certainly some similarities with other West Coasters in California. So probably of the two, that's what I would go with. I feel like there aren't many similarities with south Texas, though.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,377 times
I really wouldn't say that the PACNW is really all that similar to the Midwest or the Southwest, but I guess it may be politically comparable to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Now my personal assessment has long been that Oregon and Washington probably have the most in common with Northern California, Northern Idaho and Western Montana, but, then again, the coastal regions of N. Cal, W. Ore, and W. Washinton are kind of like a single entity in and of themselves.

But anyway, I thought you "Cascadia" people were way too far above the rest of the country to even consider regional comparisons. What gives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.