Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I've lived in Denver, SLC, and the Bay Area. Air pollution near the coast is not nearly as big a problem. The sea breeze does a very nice job of bringing in fresh air. It also does wonders for the climate.

Denver and SLC's climate is way over rated. If you like four seasons with a big verity of fast changing weather, then Denver or SLC will probably work for you. But its not even close to what most people would consider to be a perfect climate.
I do like four seasons with a lot of variety. It is what I prefer but I know others will have their own opinions, which is what the OP asked for - our opinion of the perfect climate.

It is much easier to see pollution in SLC or Denver but it exists worse in some CA cities. I should have been more specific. SF's air pollution numbers are quite good. Geography helps it. The pollution blows away or whatever and the pollution gets worse in Oakland and very bad in Sacramento. Southern CA has terrible numbers.

The numbers from that site. The ranges go from 1 to 100 with higher numbers meaning cleaner air.

SLC 10.3
Denver 45
SF 57.3
Oakland 35.8
San Jose 11.8
Sacramento 1.5
Los Angeles 1.0
Riverside 1.0
Anaheim 4.3
San Diego 5.2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Thanks for the info! I've seen pics of AL beaches and FL Panhandle, and they sure look pretty!

Yeah, spent a week in Gulf Shores last year and it was very nice....great seafood too.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I do like four seasons with a lot of variety. It is what I prefer but I know others will have their own opinions, which is what the OP asked for - our opinion of the perfect climate.

It is much easier to see pollution in SLC or Denver but it exists worse in some CA cities. I should have been more specific. SF's air pollution numbers are quite good. Geography helps it. The pollution blows away or whatever and the pollution gets worse in Oakland and very bad in Sacramento. Southern CA has terrible numbers.

The numbers from that site. The ranges go from 1 to 100 with higher numbers meaning cleaner air.

SLC 10.3
Denver 45
SF 57.3
Oakland 35.8
San Jose 11.8
Sacramento 1.5
Los Angeles 1.0
Riverside 1.0
Anaheim 4.3
San Diego 5.2
From what site, and what do the numbers represent?

This article says that Salt Lake City ranked sixth nationwide in a listing of cities most polluted. Which doesn't seem to match your numbers.

Top Polluted U.S. Cities With the Worst Air

Last edited by KaaBoom; 05-27-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 AM

35 posts, read 58,538 times
Depends? I think I could live along awhile near a great beach.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
From what site, and what do the numbers represent?

This article says that Salt Lake City ranked sixth nationwide in a listing of cities most polluted. Which doesn't seem to match your numbers.

Top Polluted U.S. Cities With the Worst Air
I tried to say without listing the website since I'm afraid it will just be deleted. The numbers are from bestplaces dot net. The numbers are the rating from a scale of one to one hundred. The higher the number, the cleaner the air. For more details, you would need to check the website for how they established those ratings.

The article you listed also said

"Three California spots -- Fresno, Bakersfield and Los Angeles -- ranked second, third and fourth in the nation for short-term particle pollution"

which is what I said using those other numbers. The air pollution is worse in southern CA.

In a way, the actual ranking doesn't matter. The point was both are polluted but I only read criticism of the pollution for SLC and Denver when someone praises their weather. When someone posts about how great the weather is in LA, no one cares about pollution. But the air is cleaner in SLC than LA, and cleaner still in Denver.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 04:27 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Dont forget the smog! Cant mention the weather in LA without the smog.
The smog? What smog. The weather is fantastic.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM

35 posts, read 58,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The smog? What smog. The weather is fantastic.
So it's a bad sterotype? I've heard it on a few occasions.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Perfect climate for me right where I'm at. Windows are all open and I'm enjoying a nice gentle evening breeze, haven't had the HVAC on in about a month and hoping to get a few more weeks before I need to crank up the AC. Come fall I'll get another 4-6 weeks of glorious weather like this too. Winter is fairly mild with a touch of snow, and summer's hot but the humidity isn't overwhelming except for a few short weeks in late July, early August. (Great for hitting the lake!)

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
So it's a bad sterotype? I've heard it on a few occasions.
It got its reputation in the 60s70s in to the 80s but is drastically improved....

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
It is this area. Granted a few miles ( 15/20 ) west of here closer to Lake MI is better as they get a bit more snow in winter. I enjoy all 4 seasons and have little use for wall to wall heat. I can deal alot better with a cold winter then a hot summer. Has been above 100 a number of times ( see last summer ) but it is the exception rather then the rule and can go 20+ years without hitting 100 ( before last summer was 1988 ) BUT still you do tend to get breaks from the 90+ heat in summer here which i greatly appreciate. I wouldn't mind the UP of Michigan as well but it is a little too isolated for my taste. Seattle is not too bad either ( plenty of cloudy days here especially in winter like there so that is a wash and i don't mind it ) but it doesn't snow enough there for my taste.

If i want perfect sunny 70-78 degree weather year round then San Diego wins hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.